* Is there a *Org PDF LaTeX Output* buffer ?
@ 2016-09-30 21:09 Julien Cubizolles
From: Julien Cubizolles @ 2016-09-30 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

When an export from org to pdf fails, the error message refers to a *Org
PDF LaTeX Output* buffer that doesn't seem to have been created on my
setup. Is it an old message from a previous behaviour long gone ?

Julien.

* Re: Is there a *Org PDF LaTeX Output* buffer ?
@ 2016-09-30 22:12 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2016-09-30 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Julien Cubizolles <j.cubizolles@free.fr> writes:

> When an export from org to pdf fails, the error message refers to a *Org
> PDF LaTeX Output* buffer that doesn't seem to have been created on my
> setup. Is it an old message from a previous behaviour long gone ?

No, it should be present: it is created when you export to PDF through
LaTeX (it is created by org-latex-compile which is called by
org-latex-export-to-pdf). I just tried a (successful, but I don't
think it matters) export and was able to visit it afterwards.

Org-mode version 8.3.6 (release_8.3.6-1135-g0ba465 @ /home/nick/elisp/org-mode/lisp/)

--
Nick

* Re: Is there a *Org PDF LaTeX Output* buffer ?
       [not found] <55929700b6fd4b07ac0d3c7ad1d328f8@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
@ 2016-10-01 12:29 ` Eric S Fraga
       [not found]   ` <464cb23e40da4e3d9faac4faee37d296@DB5PR01MB1895.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2016-10-01 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Cubizolles; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Friday, 30 Sep 2016 at 21:09, Julien Cubizolles wrote:
> When an export from org to pdf fails, the error message refers to a *Org
> PDF LaTeX Output* buffer that doesn't seem to have been created on my
> setup. Is it an old message from a previous behaviour long gone ?

No, this is current behaviour.  The buffer should definitely be created
but probably only if the org is exported to LaTeX without error.  It could
be the exporter is failing before it attempts to compile the LaTeX into
PDF.  Check your messages (C-h e)?  Typical error that causes the first
step to fail would be dangling links, for instance.

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.2.50.1, Org release_8.3.6-1184-g29830f

* Re: Is there a *Org PDF LaTeX Output* buffer ?
@ 2016-10-03 14:08   ` Julien Cubizolles
From: Julien Cubizolles @ 2016-10-03 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:

> No, it should be present: it is created when you export to PDF through
> LaTeX (it is created by org-latex-compile which is called by
> org-latex-export-to-pdf). I just tried a (successful, but I don't
> think it matters) export and was able to visit it afterwards.

I found it, but only when publishing a project synchronously. Actually
that's not surprising since in this case it's another emacs process
that's running but the message about the *Org PDF LaTeX Output* is then
misleading.

Here is a MWE[1]:

#+LATEX_HEADER:\RequirePackage{nosuchpackage}

#+begin_src emacs-lisp :exports none
 (add-to-list 'load-path "~/git-repositories/org-mode/lisp")
 (add-to-list 'load-path "~/git-repositories/org-mode/contrib/lisp")
 (org-reload)
 (require 'ox)
 (require 'ox-latex)
 (setq org-export-in-background t)
 (setq org-export-async-init-file "~/tmp/test-init.el")
 (setq org-publish-project-alist
	`(("test"
	   :base-directory "./"
	   :publishing-directory "./"
	   :publishing-function org-latex-publish-to-pdf
	   :exclude ".*"
	   :include ,(list (file-name-nondirectory buffer-file-name))
	   )))
#+end_src

with
~/tmp/test-init.el:

(add-to-list 'load-path "~/git-repositories/org-mode/lisp")
(add-to-list 'load-path "~/git-repositories/org-mode/contrib/lisp")
(require 'org)
(require 'ox)

Julien.

[1] Actually it's not really working when running emacs -Q: there are
some error messages about for instance org-link-set-parameters which I
can't iron out but I don't think it's relevant to the problem exhibited
here.

* Re: Is there a *Org PDF LaTeX Output* buffer ?
@ 2016-10-03 17:08   ` Nick Dokos
       [not found]   ` <464cb23e40da4e3d9faac4faee37d296@DB5PR01MB1895.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
From: Nick Dokos @ 2016-10-03 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> On Friday, 30 Sep 2016 at 21:09, Julien Cubizolles wrote:
>> When an export from org to pdf fails, the error message refers to a *Org
>> PDF LaTeX Output* buffer that doesn't seem to have been created on my
>> setup. Is it an old message from a previous behaviour long gone ?
>
> No, this is current behaviour.  The buffer should definitely be created
> but probably only if the org is exported to LaTeX without error.  It could
> be the exporter is failing before it attempts to compile the LaTeX into
> PDF.  Check your messages (C-h e)?  Typical error that causes the first
> step to fail would be dangling links, for instance.

It's there even if there is an error (and arguably, that's the most useful case).
But I didn't try the async case which seems to cause the problem that the OP ran
into.

--
Nick

@ 2016-10-04  6:37     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2016-10-04  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Monday,  3 Oct 2016 at 17:08, Nick Dokos wrote:
> It's there even if there is an error (and arguably, that's the most useful case).

Yes, of course, if there is an error in the LaTeX.

My point was that org can fail to create the LaTeX and so the LaTeX to
PDF process doesn't take place at all.  In that case, the *...PDF*
buffer won't have been created, I think.

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.90.1, Org release_8.3.3-535-g7213aa