* org-plus-contrib fails to compile
@ 2018-05-01  9:04 Glyn Millington
From: Glyn Millington @ 2018-05-01  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-orgmode

Good morning list!

Emacs 25.3.1 on Linux

For many upgrades now (over the last year or so) when I have tried
to upgrade org-plus-contrib with the package management system
pointed at the Org repository, the package is installed but
compilation fails with a massive (23.6MB!) backtrace  which begins
like this:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-variable This)
  eval-buffer(#<buffer  *load*> nil
  "/home/glyn/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20180430/org" nil t)
  ; Reading at buffer position 5
  load-with-code-conversion("/home/glyn/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20180430/org"
  "/home/glyn/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20180430/org" nil t)

None of the lisp files in the package are compiled.

Can anyone point me to likely sources of the problem (my own
cluelessness goes without saying! ) ?

with thanks

Glyn

* Re: org-plus-contrib fails to compile
@ 2018-05-01 10:37 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2018-05-01 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glyn Millington; +Cc: glyn, Emacs-orgmode

Hi Glyn,

good morning!

Did you try to uninstall org-plus-contrib first? Maybe by manually
deleting ~/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20180430/ ?

Just shooting in the dark...

--
 Bastien

* Re: org-plus-contrib fails to compile
@ 2018-05-01 18:00 ` Tim Cross
From: Tim Cross @ 2018-05-01 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: glyn; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

Glyn Millington <glyn.millington@gmail.com> writes:

> Good morning list!
>
> Emacs 25.3.1 on Linux
>
> For many upgrades now (over the last year or so) when I have tried
> to upgrade org-plus-contrib with the package management system
> pointed at the Org repository, the package is installed but
> compilation fails with a massive (23.6MB!) backtrace  which begins
> like this:
>

> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-variable This)
>   eval-buffer(#<buffer  *load*> nil
>   "/home/glyn/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20180430/org" nil t)
>   ; Reading at buffer position 5
>   load-with-code-conversion("/home/glyn/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20180430/org"
>   "/home/glyn/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20180430/org" nil t)
>
> None of the lisp files in the package are compiled.
>
> Can anyone point me to likely sources of the problem (my own
> cluelessness goes without saying! ) ?

I found this will most often occur because you have org loaded before
you try to do the upgrade. Basically, org gets confused because of
having an already loaded version while trying to install a new version.

I was seeing this quite often. Once I re-arranged by init file to ensure
that I can do a package upgrade before org is loaded, all works fairly
reliably.

An easy way to 'fix' the problem is to just delete the org-plus-contrib
directory from your ELPA directory, then restart emacs. Your emacs will
probably downlload and install the package during startup. Just make
sure your org setup comes after your package setup.

--
Tim Cross

* Re: org-plus-contrib fails to compile
@ 2018-05-01 18:23   ` Glyn Millington
From: Glyn Millington @ 2018-05-01 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Cross; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> writes:

> I found this will most often occur because you have org loaded
> before you try to do the upgrade. Basically, org gets confused
> because of having an already loaded version while trying to
> install a new version.
>
> I was seeing this quite often. Once I re-arranged by init file
> to ensure that I can do a package upgrade before org is loaded,
> all works fairly reliably.
>
> An easy way to 'fix' the problem is to just delete the
> org-plus-contrib directory from your ELPA directory, then
> restart emacs. Your emacs will probably downlload and install
> the package during startup. Just make sure your org setup comes
> after your package setup.

Thanks Tim and Bastien,

The 'fix' works - will check the sequence of events in init.el
again.

with best wishes

Glyn