* Viewing animated gif as inline video
@ 2019-04-13 18:21 Marvin Doyley
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Marvin Doyley @ 2019-04-13 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi there,

Does anybody know how to view an animated gif as an inline video? I can see the first frame as an inline image, but I am unable to view the video.

Thanks

* Re: Viewing animated gif as inline video
@ 2019-04-13 19:52 ` briangpowell
From: briangpowell @ 2019-04-13 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marvin Doyley; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I have done it before in OrgMode

Its very compute intensive; and, more annoying than useful mostly--but I
did it many years ago, it would be interesting what percentage of computer
resources are now used

But for a very small amount of computer screen real estate you can put a
very long scrolling message, for example--which can be very useful if you
are trying to deliver an OrgMode buffer as some sort of kiosk interface to
yourself or other operators

I'll try to dig up how I did it

Just want you to know that it can be done in OrgMode--what version of
Emacs, etc. is required (and why), I'm not sure

@ 2019-04-13 20:06 ` Marco Wahl
From: Marco Wahl @ 2019-04-13 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Marvin,

> Does anybody know how to view an animated gif as an inline video? I
> can see the first frame as an inline image, but I am unable to view
> the video.

{ M-x customize-variable RET org-file-apps RET }

opens my customization of variable org-file-apps which has the entry:

Hide Org File Apps:
INS DEL Cons-cell:
            Choice: Value Menu Extension: \.gif\'
            Choice: Value Menu Function: (lambda (file link) (let ((my-image (create-image file)) (tmpbuf (get-buffer-create "*gif"))) (switch-to-buffer tmpbuf) (erase-buffer) (insert-image my-image) (image-animate my-image nil t)))

AFAICS with this setting a press of RET on a gif with animation in an
Org file opens an extra buffer that shows the animation.

HTH

* Re: Viewing animated gif as inline video
@ 2019-04-13 20:13   ` briangpowell
From: briangpowell @ 2019-04-13 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marvin Doyley; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

https://github.com/Fuco1/org-inline-image

--on GitHub:

"This package adds functionality to inline images into an org-mode buffer.
The images can be present locally on the filesystem (not implemented yet)
or downloaded from the internet automatically."

"Use

Call org-inline-image when the point is on the link to inline it there. The
link text will be overlayed with the image. To hide the image, hit h (or
call org-inline-image-hide) while the point is on the image. Gif images are
animated automatically when inlined. To animate it again, hit a (or call
org-inline-image-animate)."

@ 2019-04-14  0:09     ` Marvin Doyley
From: Marvin Doyley @ 2019-04-14  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: briangpowell; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thanks Brian,

I will try this.
Thanks

@ 2019-04-15  4:38 ` stardiviner
From: stardiviner @ 2019-04-15  4:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Marvin Doyley <marvinpas@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi there,
>
> Does anybody know how to view an animated gif as an inline video? I can see the first frame as an inline image, but I am unable to view the video.

Actually, Emacs can view .gif image in Emacs buffer with iimage-mode or
something else. I don't know whether Emacs can support display .gif animated
image file inline in Org Mode buffer. But I think if Emacs can display .gif in
single buffer, should be able to display inline with some hacks.

--
[ stardiviner ]
       I try to make every word tell the meaning what I want to express.

       Blog: https://stardiviner.github.io/
       IRC(freenode): stardiviner, Matrix: stardiviner
       GPG: F09F650D7D674819892591401B5DF1C95AE89AC3