* buffer displays incorrectly after capture
@ 2022-04-01 19:46 Skip Collins
From: Skip Collins @ 2022-04-01 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-org list

I think there is a bug in updating an org buffer window after capture
appends an entry. When the previously final entry, terminated with a
newline, is folded, the newly captured entry that is appended does not
show correctly in the buffer. Here is an example capture template:
("a" "Actions" entry
      (file "~/Documents/org/capture.org")
      "* TODO %^{action} :action:" :immediate-finish t)

There is a single existing entry in capture.org:
* TODO foo :action:
some text[newline]

I fold the entry so that it appears in the buffer like this:
* TODO foo :action:...

Then from any buffer I type 'C-c c' and choose 'a' from the capture
template dispatcher. I type 'bar<enter>'. I would expect a new
headline to be visible at the end of capture.org. Instead, nothing
changes in the buffer. When I expand foo, it looks like this
* TODO foo :action:
some text...

No amount of tabbing causes the bar entry to display. The ellipsis at
the end of 'some text...' only gets expanded when I <backtab> to cycle
global visibility, resulting in a correct display:
* TODO foo :action:
some text
* TODO bar :action:

Another manifestation of the problem shows up when using
auto-revert-mode. Starting with the single headline in a folded state
as above, when I execute the following command in a shell,
echo "* TODO bar :action:" >>capture.org
then the capture.org buffer looks like this:
* TODO foo :action:...* TODO bar :action:

TAB unfolding the first headline shows up like this:
* TODO foo :action:
some text...* TODO bar :action:

GNU Emacs 27.2 (build 1, aarch64-apple-darwin21.3.0, Carbon Version
165 AppKit 2113.3) of 2022-02-24
Org mode version 9.5.2 (release_9.5.2-423-g6d73cd)