* Re: org-link-mode ...
       [not found] <e01d8a50908081520y79069dc8nd7c7989001f81318@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2009-08-09  0:52 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2009-08-09  0:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: Org Mode, Carsten Dominik

Hi Lennart,

(I'm copying the Orgmode mailing list because it helps to get people's
opinion on such ideas...)

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:

> I am missing the minor mode org-link-mode. I just had a look at
> linkd.el again and decided I wanted to ask you to make a minor mode
> out of the link handling in org instead.

Org already lets you create links from nearly anywhere in Emacs.

What would such a minor mode do?

> I have a minor mode which I call mlink-mode for link handling. The
> main purpose of that at the moment is creating links in html files and
> for making links out of variables in elisp file so that you quickly
> can jump to definitions.

`org-store-link' can handle HTML and elisp files okay.

> However there is no "insert link". That is
> what I am looking for and then it looks to me like what I want is
> already there in org-mode, but...

You can of course insert links in Org-mode files.  Is your idea about
inserting links outside of Org-mode files?  Can you give an example?

> The purpose of mlinks.el was to try to unifiy links in some way so I
> will probably try to unify it with org links if you break it out.

I think I need more background on what are the main features of
linkd.el and mlinks.el -- and what are the ones you miss in Org...

Thanks for further clarifications :)

--
 Bastien

* Re: Re: org-link-mode ...
@ 2009-08-09  5:02   ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2009-08-09  5:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Org Mode, Lennart Borgman, Carsten Dominik

Bastien <bastienguerry@googlemail.com> writes:

> Hi Lennart,
>
> (I'm copying the Orgmode mailing list because it helps to get people's
> opinion on such ideas...)
>
> Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I am missing the minor mode org-link-mode. I just had a look at
>> linkd.el again and decided I wanted to ask you to make a minor mode
>> out of the link handling in org instead.
>
> Org already lets you create links from nearly anywhere in Emacs.
>
> What would such a minor mode do?

Not sure if this is apropos to this conversation, but I've been thinking
for some time that it would be useful to have a minor mode which would
activate org-style links in non-org files.  For example if an org link
in the comment section of a source-code document could be highlighted
and activated so that the C-c C-o keybinding can be used to follow said
link. -- Eric

* Re: Re: org-link-mode ...
@ 2009-08-09 12:55     ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-08-09 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: Bastien, Org Mode, Carsten Dominik

On Sun, Aug 9, 2009 at 7:02 AM, Eric Schulte<schulte.eric@gmail.com> wrote:
> Bastien <bastienguerry@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi Lennart,
>>
>> (I'm copying the Orgmode mailing list because it helps to get people's
>> opinion on such ideas...)
>>
>> Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> I am missing the minor mode org-link-mode. I just had a look at
>>> linkd.el again and decided I wanted to ask you to make a minor mode
>>> out of the link handling in org instead.
>>
>> Org already lets you create links from nearly anywhere in Emacs.
>>
>> What would such a minor mode do?
>>

> Not sure if this is apropos to this conversation, but I've been thinking
> for some time that it would be useful to have a minor mode which would
> activate org-style links in non-org files.  For example if an org link
> in the comment section of a source-code document could be highlighted
> and activated so that the C-c C-o keybinding can be used to follow said
> link. -- Eric

That is exactly what I am thinking of.

But the key binding could perhaps be rethought. Beside that I would
want som unification of link handling where it is possible. Things to
uniffy are for example:

- Mouse handling
- Keyboard keys
- Opening in windows/frames
- Opening in external apps
- Moving between links
- Coordination with moving between widget and buttons (like "tab
stops" in common GUIs)
- Link faces
- Link information

* Re: Re: org-link-mode ...
@ 2009-08-18  9:31     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2009-08-18  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: Org Mode, Lennart Borgman, Carsten Dominik

"Eric Schulte" <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:

> Not sure if this is apropos to this conversation, but I've been thinking
> for some time that it would be useful to have a minor mode which would
> activate org-style links in non-org files.  For example if an org link
> in the comment section of a source-code document could be highlighted
> and activated so that the C-c C-o keybinding can be used to follow said
> link. -- Eric

Now I understand.  Maybe someone can grab some code from Org and try to
write a minimal implementation of this.

--
 Bastien