* Gollum
@ 2010-08-25 23:17 Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2010-08-25 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Guys,

some exciting news: the Github team just released Gollum, "a simple wiki
system built on top of Git [...]"

Read this:
  http://github.com/github/gollum#readme

And the announcement:
  http://github.com/blog/699-making-github-more-open-git-backed-wikis

Among the list of formats that Gollum supports is, of course, Org-mode.
Seems like Gollum is a win for Worg, as we'll be able to edit Worg both
from our local Emacses and from... the web.

Meaning that we might switch from the left model to the right one:

           Git                      Git
            X                        X
           / \                      / \
          /   \                    /   \
         /     \                  /     \
        /       \                /       \
 Emacs ----| |---\ HTML   Emacs ----------- HTML

Does anyone feel like testing Gollum and see how it works?

--
 Bastien

* Re: Gollum
@ 2010-08-26  0:46 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-08-26  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Bastien,

I agree it would be great to have web-based editing of Org-mode files on
Worg.  Unfortunately the Gollum wiki at github uses org-ruby [1] which
is a very minimal clone of Org-mode's exported written in ruby.  This
means that org-mode pages exported by Gollum would in most cases fall
far short of our current Worg standards.

A long while ago I wrote blorgit [2], which is similar but probably much
buggier and certainly less well maintained.  Maybe some combination of
the two would be a possible future solution.

Cheers -- Eric

Bastien <bastien.guerry@wikimedia.fr> writes:

> Guys,
>
> some exciting news: the Github team just released Gollum, "a simple wiki
> system built on top of Git [...]"
>
> Read this:
>   http://github.com/github/gollum#readme
>
> And the announcement:
>   http://github.com/blog/699-making-github-more-open-git-backed-wikis
>
> Among the list of formats that Gollum supports is, of course, Org-mode.
> Seems like Gollum is a win for Worg, as we'll be able to edit Worg both
> from our local Emacses and from... the web.
>
> Meaning that we might switch from the left model to the right one:
>

>            Git                      Git
>             X                        X
>            / \                      / \
>           /   \                    /   \
>          /     \                  /     \
>         /       \                /       \
>  Emacs ----| |---\ HTML   Emacs ----------- HTML
>

> Does anyone feel like testing Gollum and see how it works?

Footnotes:
[1]  http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-ruby.php

[2]  http://orgmode.org/worg/blorgit.php

* Re: Gollum
@ 2010-09-03  0:38   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2010-09-03  0:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Eric,

"Eric Schulte" <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:

> I agree it would be great to have web-based editing of Org-mode files on
> Worg.  Unfortunately the Gollum wiki at github uses org-ruby [1] which
> is a very minimal clone of Org-mode's exported written in ruby.  This
> means that org-mode pages exported by Gollum would in most cases fall
> far short of our current Worg standards.

Argh...  I got excited too early then.  Of course, I somehow neglected
the fact it's hard to compete with Org outside of Org.

Thanks for the information -- will keep an eye on this, though.

--
 Bastien