* org-special-ctrl-a/e broken [7.9.3f (release_7.9.3f-1447-gb2e1d6-git @ org-loaddefs.el can not be found!)]
@ 2013-03-08  4:16 jeff stern
From: jeff stern @ 2013-03-08  4:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi, all.

i am noticing that in at least the latest git pull version of
org-mode, org-special-ctrl-a/e (if setq'd to t) does not work
correctly in Org-mode version 7.9.3f (release_7.9.3f-1447-gb2e1d6-git
but does work correctly in Org-mode version 7.8.03
(release_7.8.03.268.g9706.dirty).

I run neither version fully installed - -just run via source in a
subdir which is on my load-path (~/git/org-mode/lisp).

I am running GNU Emacs 24.2.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
2.24.10) of 2012-11-08 on lakoocha, modified by Debian (on Ubuntu
12.10). (My emacs does have an org-mode built-in (apparently 7.8.11)
which gets 'redefined' every time I start up, because of my git-pulled
org-mode in the load-path.  I don't know how to get rid of it.
However, that is true both when I am running org-mode 7.8.03 and
7.9.3f..)

Because of a 2nd bug which I also experience only in 7.9.3f, I cannot
post this bug via M-x org-submit-bug-report, either.  (I get as far as
being prompted (in the minibuffer) with: "Include your Org-mode
configuration (yes or no)" and I type yes and then in the mini-buffer
returns the message, "Wrong type argument: stringp, nil", and I am
returned only to the blank *scratch* buffer.)

Fortunately, I saved my previous org-mode git directory (7.8.03), and
can switch back and forth between that and the new one (7.9.3f) and
restart emacs each time to test and confirm.

Erroneous behavior has 2 parts:

1) C-a: When (setq org-special-ctrl-a/e t) in the newest org-mode, C-a
doesn't work correctly when on a header.  Repeated presses of C-a
toggle point back and forth between 1st star in the headline (or a
later star if #+startup indent is specified and on a 2nd or more level
headline) and the first character of text after the todo keyword.

2) C-e: C-e doesn't work at all.  Whether on a headline line, or in
normal text, C-e only results in minibuffer message: Symbol's function
definition is void: org-element-at-point

Expected Behavior:

Of course, correct behavior (as I experience it when running org-mode
7.8.03) is that C-a (no matter how many times typed) takes point ONLY
to 1st character of headline title text following any TODO keyword.
Correct behavior for C-e is to take point only to just after the last
char of headline title text (but before any trailing tags).

Again, reverting to 7.8.03 org-mode, and restarting emacs, the problem
goes away.  Or setting org-special-ctrl-a/e nil makes problem go away
when using newest org-mode, but of course just reverts to normal
behavior  (point on stars or tags, etc.)

Let me know if I can be any more specific.

All behavior can be reproduced with minimal.emacs and test.org as
below.  "current state" reflects that setup.

Thanks for any suggestions or help..
Jeff Stern

I start with:
$ emacs24-x -Q -l ~/minimal.emacs

where ~/minimal.emacs is:

(add-to-list 'load-path (expand-file-name "~/git/org-mode/lisp"))
(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.\\(org\\  |org_archive\\|txt\\)$"
. org-mode))
(setq org-agenda-files '("~/test.org"))
(require 'org-install)
(require 'org-habit)

(global-set-key "\C-cl" 'org-store-link)
(global-set-key "\C-ca" 'org-agenda)
(global-set-key "\C-cb" 'org-iswitchb)

;; test turning on or off
(setq org-special-ctrl-a/e t)

and ~/test.org is:

Hello this is a minimal test file for org-mode

* TODO Heading 1 :TODAY:
** TODO Heading 2 :TOMORROW:
*** NEXT Heading 3 :WEDNESDAY:

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 24.2.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.10)
of 2012-11-08 on lakoocha, modified by Debian
Package: Org-mode version 7.9.3f (release_7.9.3f-1447-gb2e1d6-git @
org-loaddefs.el can not be found!)

current state:
==============
(setq
 org-tab-first-hook '(org-hide-block-toggle-maybe
		      org-src-native-tab-command-maybe
		      org-babel-hide-result-toggle-maybe
		      org-babel-header-arg-expand)
 org-speed-command-hook '(org-speed-command-default-hook
			  org-babel-speed-command-hook)
 org-occur-hook '(org-first-headline-recenter)
 org-metaup-hook '(org-babel-load-in-session-maybe)
 org-confirm-shell-link-function 'yes-or-no-p
 org-special-ctrl-a/e t
 org-after-todo-state-change-hook '(org-clock-out-if-current)
 org-src-mode-hook '(org-src-babel-configure-edit-buffer
		     org-src-mode-configure-edit-buffer)
 org-agenda-before-write-hook '(org-agenda-add-entry-text)
 org-babel-pre-tangle-hook '(save-buffer)
 org-mode-hook '((lambda nil
		  (org-add-hook (quote change-major-mode-hook)
		   (quote org-show-block-all) (quote append) (quote local))
		  )
		 (lambda nil
		  (org-add-hook (quote change-major-mode-hook)
		   (quote org-babel-show-result-all) (quote append)
		   (quote local))
		  )
		 org-babel-result-hide-spec org-babel-hide-all-hashes)
 org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c-hook '(org-babel-hash-at-point
			  org-babel-execute-safely-maybe)
 org-cycle-hook '(org-cycle-hide-archived-subtrees org-cycle-hide-drawers
		  org-cycle-hide-inline-tasks org-cycle-show-empty-lines
		  org-optimize-window-after-visibility-change)
 org-confirm-elisp-link-function 'yes-or-no-p
 org-metadown-hook '(org-babel-pop-to-session-maybe)
 org-agenda-files '("~/test.org")
 org-clock-out-hook '(org-clock-remove-empty-clock-drawer)
 )

* Re: org-special-ctrl-a/e broken [7.9.3f (release_7.9.3f-1447-gb2e1d6-git @ org-loaddefs.el can not be found!)]
@ 2013-03-08  4:39 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2013-03-08  4:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jeff stern; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

jeff stern <jas.61803@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, all.
>
> i am noticing that in at least the latest git pull version of
> org-mode, org-special-ctrl-a/e (if setq'd to t) does not work
> correctly in Org-mode version 7.9.3f (release_7.9.3f-1447-gb2e1d6-git
> but does work correctly in Org-mode version 7.8.03
> (release_7.8.03.268.g9706.dirty).
>
> I run neither version fully installed - -just run via source in a
> subdir which is on my load-path (~/git/org-mode/lisp).

Are you doing `make autoloads' at least?

> I am running GNU Emacs 24.2.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
> 2.24.10) of 2012-11-08 on lakoocha, modified by Debian (on Ubuntu
> 12.10). (My emacs does have an org-mode built-in (apparently 7.8.11)
> which gets 'redefined' every time I start up, because of my git-pulled
> org-mode in the load-path.  I don't know how to get rid of it.
> However, that is true both when I am running org-mode 7.8.03 and
> 7.9.3f..)
>
> Because of a 2nd bug which I also experience only in 7.9.3f, I cannot
> post this bug via M-x org-submit-bug-report, either.  (I get as far as
> being prompted (in the minibuffer) with: "Include your Org-mode
> configuration (yes or no)" and I type yes and then in the mini-buffer
> returns the message, "Wrong type argument: stringp, nil", and I am
> returned only to the blank *scratch* buffer.)

This might be a sign that you have a mixed installation.

> Fortunately, I saved my previous org-mode git directory (7.8.03), and
> can switch back and forth between that and the new one (7.9.3f) and
> restart emacs each time to test and confirm.
>
> Erroneous behavior has 2 parts:
>
> 1) C-a: When (setq org-special-ctrl-a/e t) in the newest org-mode, C-a
> doesn't work correctly when on a header.  Repeated presses of C-a
> toggle point back and forth between 1st star in the headline (or a
> later star if #+startup indent is specified and on a 2nd or more level
> headline) and the first character of text after the todo keyword.

That's what I get under 7.8.03 as well.

> 2) C-e: C-e doesn't work at all.  Whether on a headline line, or in
> normal text, C-e only results in minibuffer message: Symbol's function
> definition is void: org-element-at-point

This might be a sign that you have a mixed installation.

> Expected Behavior:
>
> Of course, correct behavior (as I experience it when running org-mode
> 7.8.03) is that C-a (no matter how many times typed) takes point ONLY
> to 1st character of headline title text following any TODO keyword.
> Correct behavior for C-e is to take point only to just after the last
> char of headline title text (but before any trailing tags).

That's not what the doc says:

,----
| When t, `C-a' will bring back the cursor to the beginning of the
| headline text, i.e. after the stars and after a possible TODO
| keyword.  In an item, this will be the position after bullet and
| check-box, if any.  When the cursor is already at that position,
| another `C-a' will bring it to the beginning of the line.
|
| `C-e' will jump to the end of the headline, ignoring the presence
| of tags in the headline.  A second `C-e' will then jump to the
| true end of the line, after any tags.  This also means that, when
| this variable is non-nil, `C-e' also will never jump beyond the
| end of the heading of a folded section, i.e. not after the
| ellipses.
`----

Nick

* Re: org-special-ctrl-a/e broken [7.9.3f (release_7.9.3f-1447-gb2e1d6-git @ org-loaddefs.el can not be found!)]
@ 2013-03-08  4:50   ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2013-03-08  4:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jeff stern; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

> This might be a sign that you have a mixed installation.

M-x list-load-path-shadows RET

and ensure that your Org files come from only one directory.  Keep
deleting (or renaming) Org installation directories until you have your
Org in only one directory.

Remember, to restart Emacs after deleting the directory, for changes to
take effect.