* exported table has text overflowing off the pdf page
@ 2016-04-25 12:18 Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2016-04-25 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode-email

I'm running into problems exporting tables into latex with a 2-column
3-row table with a large amount of text to go into the cells, but when
its exported the text is taking over and overflowing off the pdf page.

How can I have the text stay within the table boundaries please, with
the second column having fixed boundaries when its exported please?

Thanks
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian 8.4, fluxbox 1.3.7, emacs 25.0.92

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: exported table has text overflowing off the pdf page
@ 2016-04-25 12:53 ` Peter Neilson
From: Peter Neilson @ 2016-04-25 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, 25 Apr 2016 08:18:09 -0400, Sharon Kimble
<boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> wrote:

> I'm running into problems exporting tables into latex with a 2-column
> 3-row table with a large amount of text to go into the cells, but when
> its exported the text is taking over and overflowing off the pdf page.
>
> How can I have the text stay within the table boundaries please, with
> the second column having fixed boundaries when its exported please?

Could you perhaps show us an example?

* Re: exported table has text overflowing off the pdf page
       [not found] <ef8278dc2d644486980f118d76ef4373@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
@ 2016-04-25 13:13 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2016-04-25 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble; +Cc: org-mode-email

On Monday, 25 Apr 2016 at 12:18, Sharon Kimble wrote:
> I'm running into problems exporting tables into latex with a 2-column
> 3-row table with a large amount of text to go into the cells, but when
> its exported the text is taking over and overflowing off the pdf page.
>
> How can I have the text stay within the table boundaries please, with
> the second column having fixed boundaries when its exported please?

This is really a LaTeX question.  You probably want to use the p{Xcm}
designation for the specific column.  Replace X with the width of the
column you want.  E.g. :align lrp{5cm}

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.92.1, Org release_8.3.4-739-g789412

* Re: exported table has text overflowing off the pdf page
@ 2016-04-25 13:34   ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2016-04-25 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Neilson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"Peter Neilson" <neilson@windstream.net> writes:

> On Mon, 25 Apr 2016 08:18:09 -0400, Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm running into problems exporting tables into latex with a 2-column
>> 3-row table with a large amount of text to go into the cells, but when
>> its exported the text is taking over and overflowing off the pdf page.
>>
>> How can I have the text stay within the table boundaries please, with
>> the second column having fixed boundaries when its exported please?
>
> Could you perhaps show us an example?

| column 1                                                | column 2  <40>                                                                                |
|---------------------------------------------------------+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit | Pellentesque habitant morbi tristique senectus et netus et malesuada fames ac turpis egestas. |
| bananas                                                 | strawberries                                                                                  |

If that table is exported into pdf as shown in my attached testing.pdf
you can see that its overflowed the page. And that's what I'm trying to
prevent.

But that table is almost a screen width in my emacs and it will probably
get mangled by the mailserver along the way, but if the pdf attached
gets through you can see on there what I mean.

Thanks
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian 8.4, fluxbox 1.3.7, emacs 25.0.92

[-- Attachment #1.2: testing.pdf --]

@ 2016-04-26 19:57     ` Eduardo Mercovich
From: Eduardo Mercovich @ 2016-04-26 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble; +Cc: Peter Neilson, emacs-orgmode

Dear Sharon.

>>> I'm running into problems exporting tables into latex with a 2-column
>>> 3-row table with a large amount of text to go into the cells, but when
>>> its exported the text is taking over and overflowing off the pdf page.

I'm a newbie and confronted to this same situation found this latex
options (from the org-manual, but not obvious when you don't know what
you're searching):

#+CAPTION: This is your table caption (of course, it's optional).
#+NAME:   table:yourtableid
#+ATTR_LATEX: :environment longtable :width 1\textwidth :font \small \raggedright :align >{\raggedright}p{9cm} p{3cm}
| Here | comes | your | table |
|------+-------+------+-------|
| and  | some  | text | cells |

Let's break this into pieces:

:environment longtable
 breaks across pages if too long.

:width 1\textwidth
 it has the width of the text block

:font \small
 assuming your latex class has a "small" font size definition,
 can be tiny, miniscule, etc.

: \raggedright
 don't justify a few words in short width columns, looks much better

:align >{\raggedright}p{9cm} p{3cm}
 this defines the column align and width.

Try it, see what happens and let's optimize this together. :)

Best...

--
eduardo mercovich

 Donde se cruzan tus talentos
 con las necesidades del mundo,
 ahí está tu vocación.

* Re: exported table has text overflowing off the pdf page
@ 2016-04-27 17:47       ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2016-04-27 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eduardo Mercovich; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Eduardo Mercovich <eduardo@mercovich.net> writes:

> Dear Sharon.

> I'm a newbie and confronted to this same situation found this latex
> options (from the org-manual, but not obvious when you don't know what
> you're searching):
>
> #+CAPTION: This is your table caption (of course, it's optional).
> #+NAME:   table:yourtableid
>
> #+ATTR_LATEX: :environment longtable :width 1\textwidth :font \small \raggedright :align >{\raggedright}p{9cm} p{3cm}
> | Here | comes | your | table |
> |------+-------+------+-------|
> | and  | some  | text | cells |
>
> Let's break this into pieces:
>
> :environment longtable
>  breaks across pages if too long.
>
> :width 1\textwidth
>  it has the width of the text block
>
> :font \small
>  assuming your latex class has a "small" font size definition,
>  can be tiny, miniscule, etc.
>
> : \raggedright
>  don't justify a few words in short width columns, looks much better
>
> :align >{\raggedright}p{9cm} p{3cm}
>  this defines the column align and width.
>
> Try it, see what happens and let's optimize this together. :)

Thanks Eduardo, as I said I'm converting a latex document into org-mode,
so I've already got quite complex tables working in latex, so I'm just
pasting them into my org document and then having a '#+begin_latex'
before the latexed table and a '#+end_latex' after the table, and its
working quite well except I am, so far, unable to have a 'list of
tables' which isn't a real problem.

Thanks
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian 8.4, fluxbox 1.3.7, emacs 25.0.93

@ 2016-04-27 18:38         ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2016-04-27 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Eduardo Mercovich

Aloha Sharon,

Sharon Kimble writes:

> Thanks Eduardo, as I said I'm converting a latex document into org-mode,
> so I've already got quite complex tables working in latex, so I'm just
> pasting them into my org document and then having a '#+begin_latex'
> before the latexed table and a '#+end_latex' after the table, and its
> working quite well except I am, so far, unable to have a 'list of
> tables' which isn't a real problem.

This gives me a list of tables:

#+TOC: tables

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: exported table has text overflowing off the pdf page
@ 2016-04-28 20:50         ` Eduardo Mercovich
From: Eduardo Mercovich @ 2016-04-28 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Sharon.

>> I'm a newbie and confronted to this same situation found this latex
>> options [...]

> Thanks Eduardo, as I said I'm converting a latex document into org-mode,
> so I've already got quite complex tables working in latex, so I'm just
> pasting them into my org document and then having a '#+begin_latex'
> before the latexed table and a '#+end_latex' after the table,

Ah, sorry, didn't understood that. :)

> and its working quite well except I am, so far, unable to have a 'list
> of tables' which isn't a real problem.

Do you have a #+CAPTION and #+NAME: before the latex block? I believe
this should work with Thomas suggestion to make a LoT...