* Will there be an updated Org Mode in Emacs 25?
@ 2016-07-18 15:34 N. Jackson
From: N. Jackson @ 2016-07-18 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello Org Mode developers,

I'm wondering if there will be an updated version of Org Mode
bundled with Emacs 25?

In the tarball for the most recent pre-release version (25.0.95)
the bundled Org Mode is 8.2.10. This is the same version that was
bundled with Emacs 24.5 15 months ago or so, and presumably it is
even older than that!

As the release or the next Emacs looks like it will be fairly soon (on
the order of a few weeks?), this would seem to be something needing
addressing fairly soon. :)

(I asked this question on the Emacs developers' list and they
suggested [1] that I ask the Org Mode developers.)

Thanks.

Regards,
N.

[1] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2016-07/msg00792.html

* Re: Will there be an updated Org Mode in Emacs 25?
@ 2016-07-18 15:51 ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2016-07-18 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

nljlistbox2@gmail.com (N. Jackson) writes:

> I'm wondering if there will be an updated version of Org Mode
> bundled with Emacs 25?

Org 8.3.4 will be part of Emacs 25.1.  Maybe Org 8.4 will be part of Emacs
25.2.

--
Evidence suggests Snowden used a powerful tool called monospaced fonts

* Re: Will there be an updated Org Mode in Emacs 25?
@ 2016-07-18 15:58 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-07-18 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: N. Jackson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

nljlistbox2@gmail.com (N. Jackson) writes:

> I'm wondering if there will be an updated version of Org Mode
> bundled with Emacs 25?

No, AFAICT Org mode will not be updated.

> (I asked this question on the Emacs developers' list and they
> suggested [1] that I ask the Org Mode developers.)

I'm fairly surprised about this answer because we have been repeatedly
asking for an update, and they refused every time.

Org 8.3 was meant to be included in Emacs 25 and it was released about
one year ago.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Will there be an updated Org Mode in Emacs 25?
@ 2016-07-18 16:03   ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2016-07-18 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rasmus, emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 11:55 AM Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> wrote:

> nljlistbox2@gmail.com (N. Jackson) writes:
>
> Org 8.3.4 will be part of Emacs 25.1.  Maybe Org 8.4 will be part of Emacs
> 25.2.

How does that work? emacs 25.1 is already in the final versions of pretests
and the it still has org version 8.2.10. Shouldn't the 8.3.4 version have
been merged a long time before the pretests were even started?
--

Kaushal Modi

* Re: Will there be an updated Org Mode in Emacs 25?
@ 2016-07-18 16:08   ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2016-07-18 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode, Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: N. Jackson

On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 12:02 PM Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr>
wrote:

> I'm fairly surprised about this answer because we have been repeatedly
> asking for an update, and they refused every time.
>
> Org 8.3 was meant to be included in Emacs 25 and it was released about
> one year ago.

There's miscommunication between the emacs-devel and emacs-orgmode mailing
lists.

I would suggest that you push the latest maint branch org version to the
master branch of emacs now, so that it would be fairly tested by the time
the next to next emacs release happens (25.2?).
--

Kaushal Modi

* Re: Will there be an updated Org Mode in Emacs 25?
@ 2016-07-18 17:49     ` Nicolas Goaziou
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-07-18 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaushal Modi; +Cc: Bastien Guerry, N. Jackson, emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Kaushal Modi <kaushal.modi@gmail.com> writes:

> There's miscommunication between the emacs-devel and emacs-orgmode mailing
> lists.

Probably.

> I would suggest that you push the latest maint branch org version to the
> master branch of emacs now, so that it would be fairly tested by the time
> the next to next emacs release happens (25.2?).

My secret plan is to have Org 9.0 merged in Emacs master branch just
after Emacs 25.1 is released.

Meanwhile, I think we can release Org 8.3.5 which, hopefully will be the
last stable release in the 8.3.X series.

Bastien, WDYT?

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Will there be an updated Org Mode in Emacs 25?
@ 2016-07-18 19:17       ` N. Jackson
From: N. Jackson @ 2016-07-18 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

At 19:49 +0200 on Monday 2016-07-18, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:

> My secret plan is to have Org 9.0 merged in Emacs master branch just
> after Emacs 25.1 is released.

The effectiveness of this strategy might depend upon whether Emacs 25.2
is cut from what is now the Emacs master branch or from the emacs-25
branch. My understanding is that this has not yet been decided.

* Re: Will there be an updated Org Mode in Emacs 25?
@ 2016-07-18 20:25     ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2016-07-18 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kaushal.modi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Kaushal Modi <kaushal.modi@gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 11:55 AM Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> wrote:
>
>> nljlistbox2@gmail.com (N. Jackson) writes:
>>
>> Org 8.3.4 will be part of Emacs 25.1.  Maybe Org 8.4 will be part of Emacs
>> 25.2.
>>

> How does that work? emacs 25.1 is already in the final versions of pretests
> and the it still has org version 8.2.10. Shouldn't the 8.3.4 version have
> been merged a long time before the pretests were even started?

Right, I got confused.  8.2.10.
Thanks for correcting me!

--
The Kids call him Billy the Saint

* Re: Will there be an updated Org Mode in Emacs 25?
@ 2016-07-18 20:31     ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2016-07-18 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Kaushal Modi <kaushal.modi@gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 12:02 PM Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr>
> wrote:
>
>> I'm fairly surprised about this answer because we have been repeatedly
>> asking for an update, and they refused every time.
>>
>> Org 8.3 was meant to be included in Emacs 25 and it was released about
>> one year ago.
>>

> There's miscommunication between the emacs-devel and emacs-orgmode mailing
> lists.

The message was pretty clear.

--
A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it

* Re: Will there be an updated Org Mode in Emacs 25?
@ 2016-07-18 20:31       ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2016-07-18 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>> I would suggest that you push the latest maint branch org version to the
>> master branch of emacs now, so that it would be fairly tested by the time
>> the next to next emacs release happens (25.2?).
>
> My secret plan is to have Org 9.0 merged in Emacs master branch just
> after Emacs 25.1 is released.
>
> Meanwhile, I think we can release Org 8.3.5 which, hopefully will be the
> last stable release in the 8.3.X series.
>
> Bastien, WDYT?

FWIW I was going to argue for a quick 9.0 as well.  Though I'd like to get
all my WIP finished beforehand...

--
⠠⠵

* Re: Will there be an updated Org Mode in Emacs 25?
@ 2016-07-18 21:03         ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2016-07-18 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rasmus, emacs-orgmode

+1 for org 9.0 in master.

--

Kaushal Modi

* Re: Will there be an updated Org Mode in Emacs 25?
@ 2016-07-19 12:58       ` Bastien Guerry
From: Bastien Guerry @ 2016-07-19 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: N. Jackson, emacs-orgmode, Kaushal Modi

Hi Nicolas,

>> I would suggest that you push the latest maint branch org version to the
>> master branch of emacs now, so that it would be fairly tested by the time
>> the next to next emacs release happens (25.2?).
>
> My secret plan is to have Org 9.0 merged in Emacs master branch just
> after Emacs 25.1 is released.

It sounds like a good plan to me, and you know better now.

> Meanwhile, I think we can release Org 8.3.5 which, hopefully will be the
> last stable release in the 8.3.X series.

I agree.  Let me know if there is anything special to check before
releasing 8.3.5.  If not, I will release it this afternoon.

 Bastien

* Re: Will there be an updated Org Mode in Emacs 25?
@ 2016-07-19 14:13         ` Kyle Meyer
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2016-07-19 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien Guerry; +Cc: N. Jackson, emacs-orgmode, Nicolas Goaziou, Kaushal Modi

Bastien Guerry <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

[...]

>> last stable release in the 8.3.X series.
>
> I agree.  Let me know if there is anything special to check before
> releasing 8.3.5.  If not, I will release it this afternoon.

The backports from the main Emacs repo are up-to-date.

--
Kyle

* Re: Will there be an updated Org Mode in Emacs 25?
@ 2016-07-19 14:28           ` Bastien Guerry
From: Bastien Guerry @ 2016-07-19 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kyle Meyer; +Cc: N. Jackson, emacs-orgmode, Nicolas Goaziou, Kaushal Modi

Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com> writes:

>> I agree.  Let me know if there is anything special to check before
>> releasing 8.3.5.  If not, I will release it this afternoon.
>
> The backports from the main Emacs repo are up-to-date.

Thanks Kyle!

I may still have some time to make the release tonight, waiting for
Nicolas "go".

--
 Bastien

* Re: Will there be an updated Org Mode in Emacs 25?
@ 2016-07-19 18:42             ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-07-19 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien Guerry; +Cc: N. Jackson, Kyle Meyer, emacs-orgmode, Kaushal Modi

Hello,

Bastien Guerry <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> I may still have some time to make the release tonight, waiting for
> Nicolas "go".

Here it is: Go!

Thank you!

--
Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Will there be an updated Org Mode in Emacs 25?
@ 2016-07-19 21:42               ` Bastien Guerry
From: Bastien Guerry @ 2016-07-19 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: N. Jackson, Kyle Meyer, emacs-orgmode, Kaushal Modi

> Here it is: Go!