* [BUG] org-paste-subtree inserts empty line above paste
@ 2022-09-12 14:00 Felix Wiemuth
From: Felix Wiemuth @ 2022-09-12 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Emacs 28.1
Orgmode 9.5.2 (but discovered already 2020-01-20)

When pasting a subtree (of whichever level) with org-paste-subtree at
any position (can be an empty line or a line with a header prefix, e.g.
"*** "), always an empty line is inserted above the inserted subtree.

I would expect no new line to be inserted, and I think this was the
behaviour before I noticed this.

The value of "org-blank-before-new-entry" is "((heading)
(plain-list-item))".

* [BUG] org-paste-subtree inserts empty line above paste
@ 2022-09-12 14:01 Felix Wiemuth
From: Felix Wiemuth @ 2022-09-12 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Emacs 28.1
Orgmode 9.5.2 (but discovered already 2020-01-20)

When pasting a subtree (of whichever level) with org-paste-subtree at
any position (can be an empty line or a line with a header prefix, e.g.
"*** "), always an empty line is inserted above the inserted subtree.

I would expect no new line to be inserted, and I think this was the
behaviour before I noticed this.

The value of "org-blank-before-new-entry" is "((heading)
(plain-list-item))".

* Re: [BUG] org-paste-subtree inserts empty line above paste
@ 2022-09-13  2:39 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-09-13  2:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felix Wiemuth; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Felix Wiemuth <felixwiemuth@hotmail.de> writes:

> Emacs 28.1
> Orgmode 9.5.2 (but discovered already 2020-01-20)
>
> When pasting a subtree (of whichever level) with org-paste-subtree at
> any position (can be an empty line or a line with a header prefix, e.g.
> "*** "), always an empty line is inserted above the inserted subtree.
>
> I would expect no new line to be inserted, and I think this was the
> behaviour before I noticed this.

I am unable to reproduce.
Could you please detail what exactly you tried step by step?
See https://orgmode.org/manual/Feedback.html

--
Ihor Radchenko,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: [BUG] org-paste-subtree inserts empty line above paste
@ 2022-09-16 15:31   ` Felix Wiemuth
From: Felix Wiemuth @ 2022-09-16 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On 13.09.22 04:39, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
> Felix Wiemuth <felixwiemuth@hotmail.de> writes:
>
>> Emacs 28.1
>> Orgmode 9.5.2 (but discovered already 2020-01-20)
>>
>> When pasting a subtree (of whichever level) with org-paste-subtree at
>> any position (can be an empty line or a line with a header prefix, e.g.
>> "*** "), always an empty line is inserted above the inserted subtree.
>>
>> I would expect no new line to be inserted, and I think this was the
>> behaviour before I noticed this.
> I am unable to reproduce.
> Could you please detail what exactly you tried step by step?
> See https://orgmode.org/manual/Feedback.html

I'm sorry, assumed it was a general issue. I actually tried it with a
fresh emacs and there it does not happen.

I tried it with a fresh spacemacs (development branch at commit 201d22b)
and there the issue exists.

Any idea what the reason could be? Could it be any configuration that
leads to this? Or is it probably a bug in spacemacs and I should post
the issue there?

Thanks!

* Re: [BUG] org-paste-subtree inserts empty line above paste
@ 2022-09-20  7:59     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-09-20  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felix Wiemuth; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Felix Wiemuth <felixwiemuth@hotmail.de> writes:

> Any idea what the reason could be? Could it be any configuration that
> leads to this? Or is it probably a bug in spacemacs and I should post
> the issue there?

If you do not see the issue using the same version of Org spacemacs uses
but without spacemacs or your config, the reason is, indeed, in
something other than Org. It should be either spacemacs tweaks to Org,
extra packages installed by spacemacs, you your personal customizations.

I would try to install stock standard spacemacs without any
configuration and try to reproduce. If you can reproduce, I'd ask
spacemacs users (probably, by filing an issue in spacemacs repo). If you
can't, the problem is likely in your config and you would try to bisect
the config (I usually use https://github.com/Malabarba/elisp-bug-hunter,
but not sure if it is easy to use with spacemacs configuration).