* Unable to 'make oldorg'
@ 2012-05-18 18:02 Greg Lucas
From: Greg Lucas @ 2012-05-18 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm trying to build using the "oldorg" target. (I'm use el-get and the
recipe relies on "oldorg".) On my OS X machine this is failing because
I don't have Tex (see output below). This was not a requirement
before.

I believe the problem is a recent change to targets.mk that made "doc"
a prerequisite to "compile". I'm not familiar enough with this build
to understand the reason for this change or propose an alternative
that would keep "oldorg" working as before.

output:

make -C doc info
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `info'.
make -C doc html
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `html'.
make -C doc pdf
texi2pdf --batch --clean org.texi
You don't have a working TeX binary (tex) installed anywhere in
your PATH, and texi2dvi cannot proceed without one.  If you want to use
this script, you'll need to install TeX (if you don't have it) or change
your PATH or TEX environment variable (if you do).  See the --help
output for more details.

For information about obtaining TeX, please see http://www.tug.org.  If
you happen to be using Debian, you can get it with this command:
  apt-get install tetex-bin
make[1]: *** [org.pdf] Error 1
make: *** [pdf] Error 2

Greg

* Re: Unable to 'make oldorg'
@ 2012-05-18 18:08 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-05-18 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Lucas; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Greg Lucas <greg@glucas.net> wrote:

> I'm trying to build using the "oldorg" target. (I'm use el-get and the
> recipe relies on "oldorg".) On my OS X machine this is failing because
> I don't have Tex (see output below). This was not a requirement
> before.
>
> I believe the problem is a recent change to targets.mk that made "doc"
> a prerequisite to "compile". I'm not familiar enough with this build
> to understand the reason for this change or propose an alternative
> that would keep "oldorg" working as before.

Try editing local.mk and uncomment the line

# ORG_MAKE_DOC = info # html pdf

Nick

> output:
>
> make -C doc info
> make[1]: Nothing to be done for `info'.
> make -C doc html
> make[1]: Nothing to be done for `html'.
> make -C doc pdf
> texi2pdf --batch --clean org.texi
> You don't have a working TeX binary (tex) installed anywhere in
> your PATH, and texi2dvi cannot proceed without one.  If you want to use
> this script, you'll need to install TeX (if you don't have it) or change
> your PATH or TEX environment variable (if you do).  See the --help
> output for more details.
>
> For information about obtaining TeX, please see http://www.tug.org.  If
> you happen to be using Debian, you can get it with this command:
>   apt-get install tetex-bin
> make[1]: *** [org.pdf] Error 1
> make: *** [pdf] Error 2

* Re: Unable to 'make oldorg'
@ 2012-05-18 18:32 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-05-18 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Greg Lucas writes:
> I believe the problem is a recent change to targets.mk that made "doc"
> a prerequisite to "compile". I'm not familiar enough with this build
> to understand the reason for this change or propose an alternative
> that would keep "oldorg" working as before.

I've already sent a patch to Bastien earlier today to remove this
dependency as this change wasn't doing what intended anyway.

That said, you can tell what documentation to make by setting the
variable ORG_MAKE_DOC, preferrably in local.mk.  If local.mk isn't
existing, the first run of make will create a template that has an
example of this to just make the info documentation.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Unable to 'make oldorg'
@ 2012-05-19  6:27   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-05-19  6:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> writes:

> Greg Lucas writes:
>> I believe the problem is a recent change to targets.mk that made "doc"
>> a prerequisite to "compile". I'm not familiar enough with this build
>> to understand the reason for this change or propose an alternative
>> that would keep "oldorg" working as before.
>
> I've already sent a patch to Bastien earlier today to remove this
> dependency as this change wasn't doing what intended anyway.

The patch has been applied, thanks.

--
 Bastien