* [new exporter] feature request: BEGIN_LATEX_HEADER
@ 2013-03-07 15:11 Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2013-03-07 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Prompted by Nicolas's recent addition of the LATEX_HEADER_EXTRA
directive, I would like to request another related feature.  Just as we
have the related LATEX and BEGIN_LATEX directives, I would like to see a
BEGIN_LATEX_HEADER directive for multi-line LATEX_HEADER lines:

#+begin_src org
#+BEGIN_LATEX_HEADER
\usepackage{tikz}
\usepackage[british]{babel}
\newcommand{\esf}[1]{\footnote{#1}\marginpar{\fbox{\thefootnote}}
#+END_LATEX_HEADER
#+end_src

(example taken from a recent org file).

Not urgent, of course, but it would make it easier to write this type of
content, especially if it were fontified as well... ;-)

Thanks,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga, GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D
: in Emacs 24.3.50.1 and Org release_7.9.3f-1199-g3a0e55

* Re: [new exporter] feature request: BEGIN_LATEX_HEADER
@ 2013-03-07 21:05 ` Nicolas Goaziou
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2013-03-07 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Prompted by Nicolas's recent addition of the LATEX_HEADER_EXTRA
> directive, I would like to request another related feature.  Just as we
> have the related LATEX and BEGIN_LATEX directives, I would like to see a
> BEGIN_LATEX_HEADER directive for multi-line LATEX_HEADER lines:
>
> #+begin_src org
> #+BEGIN_LATEX_HEADER
> \usepackage{tikz}
> \usepackage[british]{babel}
> \newcommand{\esf}[1]{\footnote{#1}\marginpar{\fbox{\thefootnote}}
> #+END_LATEX_HEADER
> #+end_src
>
> (example taken from a recent org file).
>
> Not urgent, of course, but it would make it easier to write this type of
> content, especially if it were fontified as well... ;-)

There are already many ways to handle latex header. `org-latex-classes',
setupfile keywords, include keywords, latex_header,
latex_header_extra...

Adding one more is not without consequences. For example, where should
it go? After latex_header values? Before? Would the location be
configurable in `org-latex-classes'? What placeholder to use?

I admit I'm not very keen on this idea. Not because of the coding work,
it would be around 10 loc, but because of syntax fester.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: [new exporter] feature request: BEGIN_LATEX_HEADER
@ 2013-03-07 23:40   ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2013-03-07 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: n.goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> writes:

>> Prompted by Nicolas's recent addition of the LATEX_HEADER_EXTRA
>> directive, I would like to request another related feature.  Just as we
>> have the related LATEX and BEGIN_LATEX directives, I would like to see a
>> BEGIN_LATEX_HEADER directive for multi-line LATEX_HEADER lines:
>>
>> #+begin_src org
>> #+BEGIN_LATEX_HEADER
>> \usepackage{tikz}
>> \usepackage[british]{babel}
>> \newcommand{\esf}[1]{\footnote{#1}\marginpar{\fbox{\thefootnote}}
>> #+END_LATEX_HEADER
>> #+end_src
>>
>> (example taken from a recent org file).
>>
>> Not urgent, of course, but it would make it easier to write this type of
>> content, especially if it were fontified as well... ;-)
>
> There are already many ways to handle latex header. `org-latex-classes',
> setupfile keywords, include keywords, latex_header,
> latex_header_extra...
>
> Adding one more is not without consequences. For example, where should
> it go? After latex_header values? Before? Would the location be
> configurable in `org-latex-classes'? What placeholder to use?
>
> I admit I'm not very keen on this idea. Not because of the coding work,
> it would be around 10 loc, but because of syntax fester.

You could have a LaTeX block and tangle it to preamble.tex and input
preamble.tex in a LATEX_HEADER.

–Rasmus

--
Enough with the bla bla!

* Re: [new exporter] feature request: BEGIN_LATEX_HEADER
@ 2013-03-09 10:00   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2013-03-09 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>
>> Prompted by Nicolas's recent addition of the LATEX_HEADER_EXTRA
>> directive, I would like to request another related feature.  Just as we
>> have the related LATEX and BEGIN_LATEX directives, I would like to see a
>> BEGIN_LATEX_HEADER directive for multi-line LATEX_HEADER lines:

[...]

> Adding one more is not without consequences. For example, where should
> it go? After latex_header values? Before? Would the location be
> configurable in `org-latex-classes'? What placeholder to use?

I wasn't proposing anything different other than allowing one to group a
whole set of #+latex_header lines into a single begin/end block, akin to
what #+begin_latex allows.  Just a minor convenience feature.

> I admit I'm not very keen on this idea. Not because of the coding work,
> it would be around 10 loc, but because of syntax fester.

Okay, no worries.  Thanks for considering it.

--
: Eric S Fraga, GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D
: in Emacs 24.3.50.1 and Org 7.9.3e-970-g728c0e

* Re: [new exporter] feature request: BEGIN_LATEX_HEADER
@ 2013-03-09 11:23   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2013-03-09 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nicolas Goaziou writes:
> I admit I'm not very keen on this idea. Not because of the coding
> work, it would be around 10 loc, but because of syntax fester.

Speaking of syntax, having long blocks of #+GRMLLL_SOMETHING: lines is
somewhat of an eyesore, but instead of inventing yet another type of
block, what about allowing implicit naming of keywords:

#+LaTeX_header: %
#+: \newcommand{\Wal}{\operatorname{Wal}}
#+: \newcommand{\Cal}{\operatorname{Cal}}
#+: \newcommand{\Sal}{\operatorname{Sal}}
#+: \newcommand{\sgn}{\operatorname{sgn}}

Regards,
Achim.