* emphasis is hard-coded in org-element
@ 2013-05-19 22:19 Jonas Bernoulli
From: Jonas Bernoulli @ 2013-05-19 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Handling of emphasized text is hard-coded in org-element.el.

Unfortunaly fixing this requires more than teaching
`org-element-text-markup-successor' about `org-emphasis-alist' because
separate `org-element-TYPE-{parser,interpreter} functions are used for
each type of emphasized text.

Wouldn't it be better if bold, underline, ... would all use the same
parser and interpreter?  I don't see another option that would allow
custom emphasize styles to be used with org-element.

  Thanks,
  Jonas

* Re: emphasis is hard-coded in org-element
@ 2013-05-19 23:41 ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2013-05-19 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Jonas Bernoulli <jonas@bernoul.li> writes:

> Handling of emphasized text is hard-coded in org-element.el.

I think this is a feature.  It's been discussed a couple of times on
the list and I think Carsten argued that it should be possible to make
custom formats in the buffer; with export there'd be various ways such
as the infamous [[latex:type][link]].

(Links can export whatever however, although it is not a very
ecstatically pleasing solution).

> Wouldn't it be better if bold, underline, ... would all use the same
> parser and interpreter?  I don't see another option that would allow
> custom emphasize styles to be used with org-element.

I guess that's the compromise (mentioned above).  You can use the
emphasis-alist for something crazy if you so desire.  But I guess the
org syntax as defined by org-element is 'fixed'.  And that's probably
also OK.

–Rasmus

--
When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir?