* Relation between todo-mode.el and Org-mode?
@ 2013-06-12 18:01 Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2013-06-12 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi List,

on the 'emacs-devel' mailing list I saw the announcement of a new
version of `todo-mode.el', which I found a bit surprising - I would not
have expected that something else as Org-mode is used nowadays to manage
todo lists with Emacs?

How is the relation between these two packages - if there is any?
Anybody with more insights?

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: Relation between todo-mode.el and Org-mode?
@ 2013-06-12 21:27 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-06-12 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten Jolitz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Thorsten,

Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com> writes:

> How is the relation between these two packages - if there is any?

To my knowledge, there is no relation -- I'd be curious to know
if anyone on this list has been testing/using it.

> Anybody with more insights?

Not from my side, but given the lengthy manual that the maintainer
posted, I put this on my list of stuff to test.  I may report my
experience in testing this if this is useful!

--
 Bastien

* Re: Relation between todo-mode.el and Org-mode?
@ 2013-06-13 20:55 ` Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2013-06-13 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, 12 Jun 2013 20:01:14 +0200 Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com> wrote:

> on the 'emacs-devel' mailing list I saw the announcement of a new
> version of `todo-mode.el', which I found a bit surprising - I would not
> have expected that something else as Org-mode is used nowadays to manage
> todo lists with Emacs?
>
> How is the relation between these two packages - if there is any?
> Anybody with more insights?

I'm the one who wrote the new version of todo-mode.el and I didn't make
any attempt to borrow features or code from Org mode, which I know very
little about.  I started using, and making changes to, Todo mode well
before Org existed.  After Org appeared I briefly looked at its todo
list UI, but I was used to and liked Todo mode's UI and handling of todo
lists and Org's UI and handling didn't appeal to me as much for the way
I use todo lists, so I didn't try using it any further, and because I
kept working on Todo mode, changing it to suit my needs, I haven't felt
compelled to try Org again.  I know, of course, that Org does a lot more
than todo lists.  I've been casually monitoring this list for a couple
of months, but due to my unfamiliarity can't follow most of the
discussions.  Maybe I'll give Org another try.

Steve Berman

* Re: Relation between todo-mode.el and Org-mode?
@ 2013-06-14  7:56   ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2013-06-14  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Stephen Berman <stephen.berman@gmx.net> writes:

> On Wed, 12 Jun 2013 20:01:14 +0200 Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> on the 'emacs-devel' mailing list I saw the announcement of a new
>> version of `todo-mode.el', which I found a bit surprising - I would not
>> have expected that something else as Org-mode is used nowadays to manage
>> todo lists with Emacs?
>>
>> How is the relation between these two packages - if there is any?
>> Anybody with more insights?
>
> I'm the one who wrote the new version of todo-mode.el and I didn't make
> any attempt to borrow features or code from Org mode, which I know very
> little about.  I started using, and making changes to, Todo mode well
> before Org existed.  After Org appeared I briefly looked at its todo
> list UI, but I was used to and liked Todo mode's UI and handling of todo
> lists and Org's UI and handling didn't appeal to me as much for the way
> I use todo lists, so I didn't try using it any further, and because I
> kept working on Todo mode, changing it to suit my needs, I haven't felt
> compelled to try Org again.  I know, of course, that Org does a lot more
> than todo lists.  I've been casually monitoring this list for a couple
> of months, but due to my unfamiliarity can't follow most of the
> discussions.  Maybe I'll give Org another try.

Ok, thanks for the info, a bit of package competition can't do no harm,
and since envy is a strong motivation, some of the better features of
one package might be ported later on to the other package too (see vim
vs. emacs).

I was just confused to read about an Emacs todo-mode without any
mentioning of Org-mode - now the context is clearer.

--

@ 2013-06-27 15:32   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-06-27 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Berman; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Stephen,

Stephen Berman <stephen.berman@gmx.net> writes:

> Maybe I'll give Org another try.

Glad to have you on this list -- I'm one of those who is curious
about todo-mode.el and I'll try to try (sic) one day.

Just one question: do you get feedback from todo-mode.el users?
Do you know if there are some/many out there?  Just curious to
see other's people use.

Thanks!

--
 Bastien

* Re: Relation between todo-mode.el and Org-mode?
@ 2013-06-28  8:37     ` Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2013-06-28  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 17:32:17 +0200 Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> wrote:

> Just one question: do you get feedback from todo-mode.el users?
> Do you know if there are some/many out there?  Just curious to
> see other's people use.

Since I became the maintainer more than four years ago there haven't
been any bug reports or feature requests, and there were few prior to
that.  The ones there were, years before, were what got me interested in
Todo mode in the first place.  I don't know of any users of the old
version.  I think it had a nice UI but limited functionality, so I'd
guess most people who want to manage todo lists in Emacs already use Org
mode.  I guess I'm an exception, because I had already started adding
functionality to Todo mode before Org mode existed and that kept me
sticking with it.

Steve Berman

* Re: Relation between todo-mode.el and Org-mode?
@ 2013-06-30 21:00       ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-06-30 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Berman; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Stephen,

Stephen Berman <stephen.berman@gmx.net> writes:

> Since I became the maintainer more than four years ago there haven't
> been any bug reports or feature requests, and there were few prior to
> that.  The ones there were, years before, were what got me interested in
> Todo mode in the first place.  I don't know of any users of the old
> version.  I think it had a nice UI but limited functionality, so I'd
> guess most people who want to manage todo lists in Emacs already use Org
> mode.  I guess I'm an exception, because I had already started adding
> functionality to Todo mode before Org mode existed and that kept me
> sticking with it.

Thanks for the answer.  I hope other orgers will be curious enough to
test todo-mode.el!

Best,

--
 Bastien