* [RFC] Modified Babel call execution and property deprecation
@ 2016-06-16 22:25 Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-06-16 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode List

Hello,

I just pushed changes about how Babel calls (including inline calls) are
evaluated. Basically, they are not treated anymore as an Emacs Lisp
variable, but as virtual Babel source blocks, which can then be executed
with `org-babel-execute-src-block'.

I had to tweak a few tests in the process so I guess it will introduce
a few visible changes, in particular in header args as properties. In
any case, please let me know if there's something fishy.

That leads me to the second point. I think it's high time to remove the
deprecated (3 years ago) syntax for header properties, e.g.,

  :PROPERTIES:
  :tangle: no
  :END:

I re-read discussions about it from a couple of years ago, and, AFAICT,
the arguments against it do not hold anymore. So, if you think this
syntax is still useful, i.e., it permits things that the current one
cannot, please speak up.

Nicolas Goaziou                                                0x80A93738

* Re: [RFC] Modified Babel call execution and property deprecation
@ 2016-06-19 16:43 ` Charles C. Berry
From: Charles C. Berry @ 2016-06-19 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Org Mode List

On Fri, 17 Jun 2016, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just pushed changes about how Babel calls (including inline calls) are
> evaluated. Basically, they are not treated anymore as an Emacs Lisp
> variable, but as virtual Babel source blocks, which can then be executed
> with `org-babel-execute-src-block'.

Thanks. This is helpful to me.

In looking over ob-lob.el, I noticed that the `org-babel-library-of-babel'
docstring is misleading:

#+BEGIN_QUOTE
Library of source-code blocks.
This is an association list.  Populate the library by adding
files to `org-babel-lob-files'.
#+END_QUOTE

So is the docstring for `org-babel-lob-files':

#+BEGIN_QUOTE
Files used to populate the `org-babel-library-of-babel'.
To add files to this list use the `org-babel-lob-ingest' command.
#+END_QUOTE

Grepping the lisp sources and worg it seems that that variable is
never actually used for anything nor modified by any function.

So maybe that variable should be removed or made obsolete and the
docstring for `org-babel-library-of-babel' changed to something like

#+BEGIN_QUOTE
Library of source-code blocks.
This is an association list.  Populate the library with the
`org-babel-lob-ingest' command.
#+END_QUOTE

Chuck

* Re: [RFC] Modified Babel call execution and property deprecation
@ 2016-06-20 12:50   ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-06-20 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles C. Berry; +Cc: Org Mode List

Hello,

"Charles C. Berry" <ccberry@ucsd.edu> writes:

> In looking over ob-lob.el, I noticed that the `org-babel-library-of-babel'
> docstring is misleading:
>
> #+BEGIN_QUOTE
> Library of source-code blocks.
> This is an association list.  Populate the library by adding
> files to `org-babel-lob-files'.
> #+END_QUOTE
>
> So is the docstring for `org-babel-lob-files':
>
> #+BEGIN_QUOTE
> Files used to populate the `org-babel-library-of-babel'.
> To add files to this list use the `org-babel-lob-ingest' command.
> #+END_QUOTE
>
> Grepping the lisp sources and worg it seems that that variable is
> never actually used for anything nor modified by any function.
>
> So maybe that variable should be removed or made obsolete and the
> docstring for `org-babel-library-of-babel' changed to something like

This variable has always been a no-op. Since no-one noticed it, I guess
we can remove it. I actually did it in a5cf0f6.

Thank you.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: [RFC] Modified Babel call execution and property deprecation
@ 2016-07-03 22:49 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-07-03 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode List

> That leads me to the second point. I think it's high time to remove the
> deprecated (3 years ago) syntax for header properties, e.g.,
>
>   :PROPERTIES:
>   :tangle: no
>   :END:
>
> I re-read discussions about it from a couple of years ago, and, AFAICT,
> the arguments against it do not hold anymore. So, if you think this
> syntax is still useful, i.e., it permits things that the current one
> cannot, please speak up.

I removed support for this syntax in master.

Please report any problem in that area.