* Substitute for (bh/org-agenda-to-appt)
@ 2016-07-13 11:01 Louis Turk
From: Louis Turk @ 2016-07-13 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

With this fuction appointments are set up when Emacs starts:

(bh/org-agenda-to-appt)

I would like to substitute it with a function that sets the appointments
up when org-mode starts instead of when emacs starts. The reason being
that (bh/org-agenda-to-appt) causes all the org-agenda-files to load,
which is very irritating when I'm editing none org-mode files (which is
probably 95% of the time). I generally open one instance of emacs with
org-mode, and leave it open for weeks at a time. But I'm opening and
closing non-org-mode files all day long.

So, is there such a function?

Lou

* Re: Substitute for (bh/org-agenda-to-appt)
@ 2016-07-13 11:39 John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2016-07-13 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Louis Turk, emacs-orgmode@gnu org

You could move it to the org-mode-hook.

@ 2016-07-16 11:35 ` Myles English
From: Myles English @ 2016-07-16 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Louis Turk; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello Lou,

Louis Turk writes:

> With this fuction appointments are set up when Emacs starts:
>
> (bh/org-agenda-to-appt)

Presumably you got this function from here:

http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html

> I would like to substitute it with a function that sets the appointments
> up when org-mode starts instead of when emacs starts. The reason being
> that (bh/org-agenda-to-appt) causes all the org-agenda-files to load,
> which is very irritating when I'm editing none org-mode files (which is
> probably 95% of the time).

That webpage goes on to say:

#+BEGIN_QUOTE
; Rebuild the reminders everytime the agenda is displayed
(add-hook 'org-finalize-agenda-hook 'bh/org-agenda-to-appt 'append)

; This is at the end of my .emacs - so appointments are set up when Emacs starts
(bh/org-agenda-to-appt)
#+END_QUOTE

So just comment out that line, like this:

;; (bh/org-agenda-to-appt)

or delete it, and that function won't be called when your emacs starts,
only when the agenda is displayed (assuming you set it up like that).

Myles