* PDF font
@ 2016-10-07 21:35 Philip Hudson
From: Philip Hudson @ 2016-10-07 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Question: How do I specify how an Org element appears in the
corresponding exported PDF? Specifically the typeface (font).

Meta-question: Where might this question be answered that I haven't
looked? I haven't managed to find it in the manual or on Worg using a
fairly exhaustive variety of search terms. I've read an awful lot of
stuff that I more-or-less completely fail to understand about LaTeX,
something of which I currently know nothing, but I'm nevertheless
pretty sure none of what I've read actually addresses my question. The
nearest I came was reference to a small number of predefined packages
of three fonts each (serif, sans, mono) which I could switch between.
None of them match my requirement.

--
Phil Hudson                   http://hudson-it.ddns.net
@UWascalWabbit                 PGP/GnuPG ID: 0x887DCA63

* Re: PDF font
@ 2016-10-07 22:14 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2016-10-07 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Philip Hudson <phil.hudson@iname.com> writes:

> Question: How do I specify how an Org element appears in the
> corresponding exported PDF? Specifically the typeface (font).

E.g.

#+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage{palatino}

> Meta-question: Where might this question be answered that I haven't
> looked? I haven't managed to find it in the manual or on Worg using a
> fairly exhaustive variety of search terms. I've read an awful lot of
> stuff that I more-or-less completely fail to understand about LaTeX,
> something of which I currently know nothing, but I'm nevertheless
> pretty sure none of what I've read actually addresses my question. The
> nearest I came was reference to a small number of predefined packages
> of three fonts each (serif, sans, mono) which I could switch between.
> None of them match my requirement.

This is indeed a LaTeX question, and if you are lucky enough to find a package
that sets up the font of your choice, the answer is as simple as the
example above. But if you don't, life gets *much* harder *very* quickly.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/877597/how-do-you-change-the-document-font-in-latex

contains a sampling of a few of the different possibilities.

If you want to dig deeper, you might consult

https://www.tug.org/pracjourn/2006-1/schmidt/schmidt.pdf

--
Nick

* Re: PDF font
@ 2016-10-07 23:22   ` Philip Hudson
From: Philip Hudson @ 2016-10-07 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7 October 2016 at 23:14, Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> wrote:
> Philip Hudson <phil.hudson@iname.com> writes:
>
>> Question: How do I specify how an Org element appears in the
>> corresponding exported PDF? Specifically the typeface (font).
>>

> E.g.
>
> #+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage{palatino}

Right, that's one of the packages I found reference to. Nice, but not
what I need.

>> Meta-question: Where might this question be answered that I haven't
>> looked? I haven't managed to find it in the manual or on Worg using a
>> fairly exhaustive variety of search terms. I've read an awful lot of
>> stuff that I more-or-less completely fail to understand about LaTeX,
>> something of which I currently know nothing, but I'm nevertheless
>> pretty sure none of what I've read actually addresses my question. The
>> nearest I came was reference to a small number of predefined packages
>> of three fonts each (serif, sans, mono) which I could switch between.
>> None of them match my requirement.
>
> This is indeed a LaTeX question,

I think that's really all I need to know.

Conclusion: There is no native Org-mode markup beyond
bold/italic/underline that can change LaTeX/PDF text styling; it can
only be done with embedded LaTeX escapes.

For my use case, I'll try changing to exporting to HTML with embedded
CSS, then converting the HTML to PDF using htmldoc.

Thanks, Nick.

--

@ 2016-10-08  2:31     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2016-10-08  2:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Philip Hudson <phil.hudson@iname.com> writes:

> On 7 October 2016 at 23:14, Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Philip Hudson <phil.hudson@iname.com> writes:
>>
>>> Question: How do I specify how an Org element appears in the
>>> corresponding exported PDF? Specifically the typeface (font).
>>>

>> E.g.
>>
>> #+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage{palatino}

I should have said that this changes the font for the whole document.

> Right, that's one of the packages I found reference to. Nice, but not
> what I need.

What *do* you need exactly?

> Conclusion: There is no native Org-mode markup beyond
> bold/italic/underline that can change LaTeX/PDF text styling; it can
> only be done with embedded LaTeX escapes.

I think that's correct.

--
Nick

* Re: PDF font
@ 2016-10-08  8:19       ` Philip Hudson
From: Philip Hudson @ 2016-10-08  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8 October 2016 at 03:31, Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> wrote:
> Philip Hudson <phil.hudson@iname.com> writes:
>
>> On 7 October 2016 at 23:14, Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> E.g.
>>>
>>> #+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage{palatino}
>
> I should have said that this changes the font for the whole document.
>
>> Right, that's one of the packages I found reference to. Nice, but not
>> what I need.
>
> What *do* you need exactly?

Cantarell for the sans-serif, FreeSerif for the serif, don't care
about the mono.

--

@ 2016-10-08  8:22         ` Philip Hudson
From: Philip Hudson @ 2016-10-08  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8 October 2016 at 09:19, Philip Hudson <phil.hudson@iname.com> wrote:
> On 8 October 2016 at 03:31, Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Philip Hudson <phil.hudson@iname.com> writes:

>> I should have said that this changes the font for the whole document.
>>
>>> Right, that's one of the packages I found reference to. Nice, but not
>>> what I need.
>>
>> What *do* you need exactly?
>
> Cantarell for the sans-serif, FreeSerif for the serif, don't care
> about the mono.

Oh yes, and #cccccc for the title background.

--

@ 2016-10-11 20:55           ` Eduardo Mercovich
From: Eduardo Mercovich @ 2016-10-11 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Philip.

[...]
>>> What *do* you need exactly?

>> Cantarell for the sans-serif, FreeSerif for the serif, don't care
>> about the mono.

> Oh yes, and #cccccc for the title background.

HTML is easier to style, yes. Does that format, exported to pdf, has
what you need? Because latex may take more effort, but it's only once.
Then, you have pdfs with the index, pages of the size you'd like,
everything packaged in 1 file (or not), metadata, and so on.

I tried a bit of HTML as documents, but the un-packaged nature of it
(document + images + css + etc.) always gave me problems with other
people. Self contained pdfs, on the other hand, just work in every OS.

If the only specs you'd like to change are just those fonts, and
something like Memoir starts with a decent general layout (depending on
your needs), then it makes sense to tweak it a bit and from then on,
just use the latex export.

Best...

--
eduardo mercovich

 Donde se cruzan tus talentos
 con las necesidades del mundo,
 ahí está tu vocación.

* Re: PDF font
       [not found] <3733d20cae0c43aca58cb6a26352777b@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
@ 2016-10-12  7:14 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2016-10-12  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, 11 Oct 2016 at 20:55, Eduardo Mercovich wrote:

[...]

> I tried a bit of HTML as documents, but the un-packaged nature of it
> (document + images + css + etc.) always gave me problems with other
> people. Self contained pdfs, on the other hand, just work in every OS.

This is where epub, as a distribution format for documents, may have
some advantages.  Org supports export to epub (export -> html -> epub).

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.2.50.1, Org release_8.3.6-1184-g29830f

* Re: PDF font
@ 2016-10-12  9:06   ` Philip Hudson
From: Philip Hudson @ 2016-10-12  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga, Eduardo Mercovich, Philip Hudson, Nick Dokos,
	emacs orgmode-mailinglist

On 12 October 2016 at 08:14, Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Tuesday, 11 Oct 2016 at 20:55, Eduardo Mercovich wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> I tried a bit of HTML as documents, but the un-packaged nature of it
>> (document + images + css + etc.) always gave me problems with other
>> people. Self contained pdfs, on the other hand, just work in every OS.
>
> This is where epub, as a distribution format for documents, may have
> some advantages.  Org supports export to epub (export -> html -> epub).

Thanks for the tip, Eric. I will give it a try sometime this week and
report back.

--

@ 2016-10-12  9:18             ` Philip Hudson
From: Philip Hudson @ 2016-10-12  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11 October 2016 at 21:55, Eduardo Mercovich <eduardo@mercovich.net> wrote:

> HTML is easier to style, yes. Does that format, exported to pdf, has
> what you need?

No. Almost, but hyperlinks are not clickable.

> Because latex may take more effort, but it's only once.
> Then, you have pdfs with the index, pages of the size you'd like,
> everything packaged in 1 file (or not), metadata, and so on.

My goal is a 1-page PDF invoice containing one level-1 heading in bold
24pt Cantarell with #cccccc background, one level-2 heading in bold
16pt Cantarell, some plain text, one table with two columns and five
rows, and some more plain text. The hyperlinks occur within the table
and plain text. A footer would be nice but is not essential; if
present, two links would occur in the footer.

> If the only specs you'd like to change are just those fonts, and
> something like Memoir starts with a decent general layout (depending on
> your needs), then it makes sense to tweak it a bit and from then on,
> just use the latex export.

I don't know what Memoir is or how I would use it. I'm guessing it's a
LaTeX package and I would use a #+ATTR_LATEX declaration to configure
it?

--

@ 2016-10-12 21:09               ` Eduardo Mercovich
From: Eduardo Mercovich @ 2016-10-12 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Philip.

[...]
> My goal is a 1-page PDF invoice [...]

>> If the only specs you'd like to change are just those fonts, and
>> something like Memoir starts with a decent general layout (depending on
>> your needs), then it makes sense to tweak it a bit and from then on,
>> just use the latex export.

> I don't know what Memoir is or how I would use it. I'm guessing it's a
> LaTeX package and I would use a #+ATTR_LATEX declaration to configure
> it?

Yes, but if a 1 page pdf invoice is what you want, it certainly is
overkill. What you want is more akin to a custo cover page in which you
input the data as org properties like in

#+TITLE: Your Title Here
#+SUBTITLE: Subtitle here
#+DATE: dd/mm/yyyy
#+AUTHOR: your name (or it can be taken as fixed)
#+EMAIL: eduardo@mercovich.net
#+YOURDEFINEDFIELDS: added here, as many as you like.

The effort is meaningfull if you plan to do many and want to minimize
the task. If not, I'm afraid that a simpler approach -like a pdf created
from LibreOffice Calc- may be more adequate...