* bug#22734: 24.5; do not leave opened org-agenda-files on org-agenda-list, etc.
       [not found] <87y4aidrna.fsf@gavenkoa.example.com>
@ 2016-02-18 17:04 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2016-02-18 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleksandr Gavenko; +Cc: 22734

> From: Oleksandr Gavenko <gavenkoa@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 16:23:05 +0200
>
> In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.18.2)
>  of 2015-10-24 on trouble, modified by Debian
> Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11702000
> System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux testing (stretch)
>
> Recently I changed workflow with org-mode and trapped into issue which already
> described:
>
>   http://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/5741/do-not-keep-org-agenda-files-open-after-generating-agenda/
>
> Previously I use:
>
>  * NOTE.org as main storage for free form notes edited by hand with key
>    binding to quick access to this file
>
>  * TODO.org for `org-remember' or
>      (lambda () (interactive) (org-capture nil "t"))
>
> TODO.org I visit only via `C-c a a'. But NOTE.org become unmaintainable with
> size greater then 1 MiB of plain text.
>
> So I split this file into several files by easy distinguished topics, like
> LEARNING.org, purchases.org, emacs-python.org, linux.org, vps.org, ...
>
> Instead of maintaining list of possible names I have specified directory:
>
> (setq org-agenda-file-regexp "\\`[^.#].*[^_]\\.org\\'"
>       org-agenda-files (list org-directory))
>
> I happy with this setup because I can quickly find necessary topic via
> switching to buffer (by IDO via meaningful file name) and search (by C-s)
> performed in limited space.
>
> All schedules available via `C-c a a' across all .org files.
>
> But now I have a lot of opened unused .org files after `C-c a a' which I
> should kill when they appear during buffer switches.
>
> The right behavior is to preserve opened only files that already was opened
> and kill other files.

Shouldn't this be reported to the Org folks?  It sounds like a purely
Org issue.

* bug#22734: 24.5; do not leave opened org-agenda-files on org-agenda-list, etc.
@ 2016-02-18 20:53   ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-02-18 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: 22734, Oleksandr Gavenko

Hello,

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Oleksandr Gavenko <gavenkoa@gmail.com>
>> Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 16:23:05 +0200
>>
>> TODO.org I visit only via `C-c a a'. But NOTE.org become unmaintainable with
>> size greater then 1 MiB of plain text.

It would be interesting to see a profile report about this.

>> But now I have a lot of opened unused .org files after `C-c a a' which I
>> should kill when they appear during buffer switches.
>>
>> The right behavior is to preserve opened only files that already was opened
>> and kill other files.

AFAICT, Org expects that agenda files are always being visited. This may
be related to speed issues.

In any case, you could filter out Org files from buffer list (e.g., with
`ido-ignore-buffers' and alike), and use `org-buffer-list' whenever you
need them.

Nicolas Goaziou

* bug#22734: 24.5; do not leave opened org-agenda-files on org-agenda-list, etc.
@ 2017-12-01 19:00     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2017-12-01 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 22734-done; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, Oleksandr Gavenko

> Hello,
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
>>> From: Oleksandr Gavenko <gavenkoa@gmail.com>
>>> Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 16:23:05 +0200
>>>
>>> TODO.org I visit only via `C-c a a'. But NOTE.org become unmaintainable with
>>> size greater then 1 MiB of plain text.
>
> It would be interesting to see a profile report about this.
>
>>> But now I have a lot of opened unused .org files after `C-c a a' which I
>>> should kill when they appear during buffer switches.
>>>
>>> The right behavior is to preserve opened only files that already was opened
>>> and kill other files.
>
> AFAICT, Org expects that agenda files are always being visited. This may
> be related to speed issues.
>
> In any case, you could filter out Org files from buffer list (e.g., with
> `ido-ignore-buffers' and alike), and use `org-buffer-list' whenever you
> need them.

Since there is no more answer from the OP, I'm closing this bug.