* org id link to arbitrary place in an org file
@ 2023-09-20  4:46 Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2023-09-20  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

i know we talked about something like this recently, perhaps related
to inline tasks, perhaps not.  apologies redundancy.

i'd like to have an org-id link to a place in a different file.  a
paragraph or even more arbitrary.

is this possible with current org technology?  [i think recent
discussion did not mention id markers.]

* Re: org id link to arbitrary place in an org file
@ 2023-09-20 12:15 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-09-20 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> i know we talked about something like this recently, perhaps related
> to inline tasks, perhaps not.  apologies redundancy.
>
> i'd like to have an org-id link to a place in a different file.  a
> paragraph or even more arbitrary.
>
> is this possible with current org technology?  [i think recent
> discussion did not mention id markers.]

It is currently not possible.
ID links only work on headings and inlinetasks now.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: org id link to arbitrary place in an org file
@ 2023-09-20 12:58   ` Max Nikulin
From: Max Nikulin @ 2023-09-20 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 20/09/2023 19:15, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
> Samuel Wales writes:
>
>> i'd like to have an org-id link to a place in a different file.  a
>> paragraph or even more arbitrary.
>>
>> is this possible with current org technology?  [i think recent
>> discussion did not mention id markers.]
>
> It is currently not possible.
> ID links only work on headings and inlinetasks now.

I think, Samuel expect support of id: anchors for "#+name:" or
<<id:9e6ac6cb-3a14-4d87-97f5-93151443bb50>>.

I remember discussions of search part of id links, but it is more
questionable feature from my point of view.

* Re: org id link to arbitrary place in an org file
@ 2024-03-06 10:44 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2024-03-06 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> i know we talked about something like this recently, perhaps related
> to inline tasks, perhaps not.  apologies redundancy.
>
> i'd like to have an org-id link to a place in a different file.  a
> paragraph or even more arbitrary.
>
> is this possible with current org technology?  [i think recent
> discussion did not mention id markers.]

On the latest main, after adding search option support for ID links, it
should be possible to link to named places in arbitrary Org file.

For example, one can link to a paragraph like

:PROPERTIES:
:ID:       3824e050-801e-422a-9312-6628f4153941
:END:

#+name: paragraph-name
This is a paragraph.

The link will be

[[id:3824e050-801e-422a-9312-6628f4153941::paragraph-name]]

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,