* Remove scheduled date when switch TODO states
@ 2010-02-20 20:13 Nathaniel Flath
From: Nathaniel Flath @ 2010-02-20 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I have a todo state, PENDING, that I organize tasks that I cannot perform
immediately.  Is there a way to configure org-todoconfigure so that when a
task is switched to PENDING, if it has a scheduled date that date is
removed?

Thanks,
Nathaniel Flath

* Re: Remove scheduled date when switch TODO states
@ 2010-02-21  5:18 ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2010-02-21  5:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathaniel Flath; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 1:43 AM, Nathaniel Flath wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a todo state, PENDING, that I organize tasks that I
> cannot perform immediately.  Is there a way to configure
> org-todoconfigure so that when a task is switched to PENDING,
> if it has a scheduled date that date is removed?

i'm not aware of any in-built way of doing this but org-schedule can be
called with org-trigger-hook to do the job but i still don't know
sufficient elisp to help with an implementation. :(

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-configs/org-hooks.php#sec-1.15

--
manish

* Re: Remove scheduled date when switch TODO states
@ 2010-02-22 18:10 ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2010-02-22 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathaniel Flath; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Nathaniel Flath <flat0103@gmail.com> writes:

> I have a todo state, PENDING, that I organize tasks that I cannot
> perform immediately.  Is there a way to configure org-todoconfigure so
> that when a task is switched to PENDING, if it has a scheduled date
> that date is removed?

You could use the hook org-after-todo-state-change-hook. E.g.

(defun my-org-pending-remove-deadline ()
  (when (equal (org-entry-get nil "TODO") "PENDING")
    (org-remove-timestamp-with-keyword org-deadline-string)))

(add-hook 'org-after-todo-state-change-hook 'my-org-pending-remove-deadline)

Best,
Matt

* Re: Re: Remove scheduled date when switch TODO states
@ 2010-02-22 22:19   ` David Maus
From: David Maus @ 2010-02-22 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Lundin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Matt Lundin wrote:
>Nathaniel Flath <flat0103@gmail.com> writes:

>> I have a todo state, PENDING, that I organize tasks that I cannot
>> perform immediately.  Is there a way to configure org-todoconfigure so
>> that when a task is switched to PENDING, if it has a scheduled date
>> that date is removed?

>You could use the hook org-after-todo-state-change-hook. E.g.

>--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
>(defun my-org-pending-remove-deadline ()
>  (when (equal (org-entry-get nil "TODO") "PENDING")
>    (org-remove-timestamp-with-keyword org-deadline-string)))

>(add-hook 'org-after-todo-state-change-hook 'my-org-pending-remove-deadline)
>--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

You can actually skip the `org-entry-get' as "The new state (a string
with a TODO keyword, or nil) is available in the Lisp variable
`state'"[1].

,----
| (defun my-org-pending-remove-deadline ()
|   (when (string= state "PENDING")
|     (org-remove-timestamp-with-keyword org-deadline-string)))
`----

Another solution: use `org-trigger-hook' and `org-schedule':

,----
| (defvar dmj/org-pending-keywords '("PENDING")
|   "List of keywords denoting pending state of an headline.")
|
| (defun dmj/org-remove-schedule-when-pending (plist)
|   "Remove schedule when todo state changes to pending."
|   (let ((type (plist-get plist :type))
| 	(to (plist-get plist :to)))
|     (when (and (eq type 'todo-state-change)
| 	       (member to dmj/org-pending-keywords))
|       (org-schedule 'remove))))
`----

HTH
 -- David

[1] http://orgmode.org/worg/org-configs/org-hooks.php#sec-1.13
--
OpenPGP... 0x99ADB83B5A4478E6
Jabber.... dmjena@jabber.org

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 230 bytes --]

* Re: Re: Remove scheduled date when switch TODO states
@ 2010-02-22 22:23     ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2010-02-22 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Maus; +Cc: Matt Lundin, emacs-orgmode

David Maus <maus.david@gmail.com> writes:

> Matt Lundin wrote:
>>Nathaniel Flath <flat0103@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>> I have a todo state, PENDING, that I organize tasks that I cannot
>>> perform immediately.  Is there a way to configure org-todoconfigure so
>>> that when a task is switched to PENDING, if it has a scheduled date
>>> that date is removed?
>
>>You could use the hook org-after-todo-state-change-hook. E.g.
>
>>--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
>>(defun my-org-pending-remove-deadline ()
>>  (when (equal (org-entry-get nil "TODO") "PENDING")
>>    (org-remove-timestamp-with-keyword org-deadline-string)))
>
>>(add-hook 'org-after-todo-state-change-hook 'my-org-pending-remove-deadline)
>>--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>
> You can actually skip the `org-entry-get' as "The new state (a string
> with a TODO keyword, or nil) is available in the Lisp variable
> `state'"[1].
>
> ,----
> | (defun my-org-pending-remove-deadline ()
> |   (when (string= state "PENDING")
> |     (org-remove-timestamp-with-keyword org-deadline-string)))
> `----

Good to know. Thanks!

- Matt