* Comments in tangled source
@ 2010-09-04  3:54 aditya siram
From: aditya siram @ 2010-09-04  3:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,
I have a heading like this :
* Root
Comments about root.
#+begin_src haskell :noweb yes :comments yes :tangle Main.hs
  main = print "hello world"
#+end_src

When I tangle the file, I would expect the "Comments about root" to be a
comment above the source like so:

-- Comments about root
main = print "hello world"

but I don't get this. What am I doing wrong?

thanks ...
-deech

* Re: Comments in tangled source
@ 2010-09-04  4:13 ` Erik Iverson
From: Erik Iverson @ 2010-09-04  4:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: aditya siram; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 09/03/2010 10:54 PM, aditya siram wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have a heading like this :
> * Root
> Comments about root.
> #+begin_src haskell :noweb yes :comments yes :tangle Main.hs
>    main = print "hello world"
> #+end_src
>
> When I tangle the file, I would expect the "Comments about root" to be a
> comment above the source like so:
>
> -- Comments about root
> main = print "hello world"
>
> but I don't get this. What am I doing wrong?

As far as I know, that's not what ":comments" is for. It just references
which chunk it came from.

I proposed this very feature, see
http://eschulte.github.com/babel-dev/PROPOSED-tangle-entire-org-mode-file-in-comments.html
and the associated gmane thread linked from there...

I assume you know about the code export features that could generate very
nice annotated code in HTML or PDF.

* Re: Comments in tangled source
@ 2010-09-04 15:04   ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-09-04 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Iverson; +Cc: aditya siram, emacs-orgmode

Erik Iverson <eriki@ccbr.umn.edu> writes:

> On 09/03/2010 10:54 PM, aditya siram wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I have a heading like this :
>> * Root
>> Comments about root.
>> #+begin_src haskell :noweb yes :comments yes :tangle Main.hs
>>    main = print "hello world"
>> #+end_src
>>
>> When I tangle the file, I would expect the "Comments about root" to be a
>> comment above the source like so:
>>
>> -- Comments about root
>> main = print "hello world"
>>
>> but I don't get this. What am I doing wrong?
>
> As far as I know, that's not what ":comments" is for. It just references
> which chunk it came from.
>
> I proposed this very feature, see
> http://eschulte.github.com/babel-dev/PROPOSED-tangle-entire-org-mode-file-in-comments.html
> and the associated gmane thread linked from there...
>
> I assume you know about the code export features that could generate very
> nice annotated code in HTML or PDF.

While HTML or PDF documentation would probably still be preferable, I've
just pushed up a first pass implementation of the functionality
described above.  Please see the following for details
http://eschulte.github.com/babel-dev/DONE-tangle-entire-org-mode-file-in-comments.html

The functionality described by the OP should now be possible by using
the ":comments org" header argument.

Cheers -- Eric