* bug#7459: 23.2; "Salutation" should not actually be included in bug mails
       [not found] <87sjyuerpd.wl%greenrd@greenrd.org>
@ 2010-11-22  6:51 ` Glenn Morris
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Glenn Morris @ 2010-11-22  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robin Green; +Cc: 7459

Robin Green wrote:

> This bug report will be sent to the Free Software Foundation,
> not to your local site managers!
> Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers
> usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.
[...]
> I submitted a bug report using M-x org-submit-bug-report.
>
> The so-called "salutation" of a bug report sent via
> reporter-submit-bug-report is - in this case - not useful to those
> who read the email - it is only intended to be read by the person
> *writing* the email. So, it should not be included in the email.

Are you asking for the addition of a general, optional feature to
reporter.el, or asking specifically about Org mode? (Presumably the
former else you would have used... M-x org-submit-bug-report.)

Either way, it is a very low priority request. M-x report-emacs-bug
has supposedly had this feature for a long time, yet people often
defeat it somehow (as you did in this report). It's never seemed very
important.

* bug#7459: 23.2; "Salutation" should not actually be included in bug mails
@ 2010-11-22  8:49   ` Robin Green
       [not found]   ` <87k4k591zz.wl%greenrd@greenrd.org>
From: Robin Green @ 2010-11-22  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 7459

At Mon, 22 Nov 2010 01:51:08 -0500,
Glenn Morris wrote:
> Are you asking for the addition of a general, optional feature to
> reporter.el, or asking specifically about Org mode? (Presumably the
> former else you would have used... M-x org-submit-bug-report.)

The former, yes.

> Either way, it is a very low priority request. M-x report-emacs-bug
> has supposedly had this feature for a long time, yet people often
> defeat it somehow (as you did in this report).

I didn't intentionally defeat it. I use wanderlust - that's probably why.

> It's never seemed very
> important.

OK, I'll just delete the salutation myself in future.
--
Robin

* Re: bug#7459: 23.2; "Salutation" should not actually be included in bug mails
From: Robin Green @ 2010-11-22  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

@ 2010-11-23  0:46     ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2010-11-23  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robin Green; +Cc: 7459

Robin Green wrote:

> I didn't intentionally defeat it. I use wanderlust - that's probably why.

Definitely - only the "built-in" mail clients are supported.
Maybe you could propose a patch for report-emacs-bug. This is the
relevant section:

    (cond ((memq mail-user-agent '(message-user-agent gnus-user-agent))
           (setq report-emacs-bug-send-command "message-send-and-exit"
                 report-emacs-bug-send-hook 'message-send-hook))
          ((eq mail-user-agent 'sendmail-user-agent)
           (setq report-emacs-bug-send-command "mail-send-and-exit"
                 report-emacs-bug-send-hook 'mail-send-hook))
          ((eq mail-user-agent 'mh-e-user-agent)
           (setq report-emacs-bug-send-command "mh-send-letter"
                 report-emacs-bug-send-hook 'mh-before-send-letter-hook)))

Though I'm not actually sure whether it would be appropriate and/or
worth it to handle other mail clients here.