* [babel] ob-web
@ 2010-12-17 15:52 Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2010-12-17 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Eric, Dan & Co,

A dream here: would we have an ob-web package, we could have easy block codes
for fetching some info from Web pages, possibly by giving as parameters 2
delimiters (strings or regexps), and re-arranging it into tables when it fits.

Use cases: statistics from Google Analytics, prices for flights, etc.

A potentiel show-stopper is, I guess, the fact that some (more and more) pages
are accessible via HTTPS, like the Google Analytics ones.

Is all of this do-able somehow: already, nearly, could be or never ever?

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban

* Re: [babel] ob-web
@ 2010-12-17 16:23 ` Erik Iverson
From: Erik Iverson @ 2010-12-17 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Sebastien,

This is probably pretty simple to do with a number of org-mode
supported languages.  Since I know R best, I can recommend the
RCurl package (http://www.omegahat.org/RCurl/) for doing exactly
as you describe.

I'll look into an R implementation of this when I get some
time over break in the next couple weeks.

There are doubtless other solutions!

--Erik

Sébastien Vauban wrote:
> Hi Eric, Dan & Co,
>
> A dream here: would we have an ob-web package, we could have easy block codes
> for fetching some info from Web pages, possibly by giving as parameters 2
> delimiters (strings or regexps), and re-arranging it into tables when it fits.
>
> Use cases: statistics from Google Analytics, prices for flights, etc.
>
> A potentiel show-stopper is, I guess, the fact that some (more and more) pages
> are accessible via HTTPS, like the Google Analytics ones.
>
> Is all of this do-able somehow: already, nearly, could be or never ever?
>
> Best regards,
>   Seb

* Re: [babel] ob-web
@ 2010-12-18 17:26   ` Srinivas
From: Srinivas @ 2010-12-18 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I don't know if anyone in this community has heard of REBOL (http://
www.rebol.com).

REBOL seems ideally suited for such scripting tasks. For example, the page
(http://www.rebol.com/oneliners.html) lists a number of one liners that show
the potential.

Here is a oneliner (#6 from the oneliners.html) to Save web page text to a file:

remove-each tag page: load/markup http://www.rebol.com [tag? tag] write
%page.txt page

REBOL is cross platform and is under 1MB. Having support for REBOL in Babel may
be useful.

Disclaimer: I have no connection to REBOL's development. I have used it as a
portable solution for producing HTML documentation from plain text (Makedoc -
http://www.rebol.net/docs/makedoc/fastmd.html).

- Srinivas

* Re: REBOL support Was: Re: [babel] ob-web
@ 2010-12-18 18:13     ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-12-18 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Srinivas; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I just heard about REBOL recently as it was mentioned as a "good new
language to learn" at the "Future of Programming Languages" [1] talk at
Strange Loop.

I am happy to help anyone who would like to add Babel support for REBOL.
The existing ob-*.el language files should serve as a good guide.  My
only request for anyone looking to implement such support is that they
be willing to sign the FSF copyright assignment (see [2]).

Cheers -- Eric

Srinivas <sp_us@yahoo.com> writes:

> I don't know if anyone in this community has heard of REBOL (http://
> www.rebol.com).
>
> REBOL seems ideally suited for such scripting tasks. For example, the page
> (http://www.rebol.com/oneliners.html) lists a number of one liners that show
> the potential.
>
> Here is a oneliner (#6 from the oneliners.html) to Save web page text to a file:
>
> remove-each tag page: load/markup http://www.rebol.com [tag? tag] write
> %page.txt page
>

> REBOL is cross platform and is under 1MB. Having support for REBOL in Babel may
> be useful.
>
> Disclaimer: I have no connection to REBOL's development. I have used it as a
> portable solution for producing HTML documentation from plain text (Makedoc -
> http://www.rebol.net/docs/makedoc/fastmd.html).
>
> - Srinivas

Footnotes:
[1]  http://www.infoq.com/presentations/Future-of-Programming-Languages