* Request for suggestions: multiple revision control systems/repositories + org
@ 2010-12-20  0:13 Robert Goldman
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Robert Goldman @ 2010-12-20  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

I am looking for hints.  I have a number of org files, typically one for
each major project plus two or three for my personal life.

These must often live in different revision control systems: my work
projects, in particular, have different repositories; I have a main set
of org files for work in ~/org/, tracked by my employers' svn;
occasionally, I do something outside, like work on a paper with someone
outside my company in a dedicated git repo; and I'd like to stuff my
personal materials off in a git repo of my own.

I have been pulling all of these together into my ~/org directory, using
symbolic links, for the benefit of mobile org.  That is, my ~/org
directory has my main work org files, plus links to a bunch of others.

That works well for syncing with mobile org.  Unfortunately, it's a mess
for Emacs's version control mode.  VC mode sees the .svn directory in
that place, and can handle the local files, but gets horribly confused
by the sym-linked files.

Anyone have a similar need to gather together a mess of org files, and
have a cleaner solution?

Extra credit if you have a way of creating the same set of symlinks on
more than one machine! ;-)

Thanks to all,
Robert

* Re: Request for suggestions: multiple revision control systems/repositories + org
@ 2010-12-20  0:31 ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2010-12-20  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rpgoldman; +Cc: Org Mode

On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 4:13 PM, Robert Goldman <rpgoldman@sift.info> wrote:
> Anyone have a similar need to gather together a mess of org files, and
> have a cleaner solution?
>
> Extra credit if you have a way of creating the same set of symlinks on
> more than one machine! ;-)

Why not just use subdirectories?

org $  tree -L 1 -d
.
|-- css
|-- data
|-- eg
|-- gibberish
|-- html
|-- images
|-- khorcha
|-- ltxpng
|-- masters-thesis
|-- not-physics
|-- projects
|-- Worg
`-- Wprime

--
Suvayu

* Re: Request for suggestions: multiple revision control systems/repositories + org
@ 2010-12-20  1:48 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-12-20  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rpgoldman; +Cc: Org Mode

Robert Goldman <rpgoldman@sift.info> writes:

> I am looking for hints.  I have a number of org files, typically one for
> each major project plus two or three for my personal life.
>
> These must often live in different revision control systems: my work
> projects, in particular, have different repositories; I have a main set
> of org files for work in ~/org/, tracked by my employers' svn;
> occasionally, I do something outside, like work on a paper with someone
> outside my company in a dedicated git repo; and I'd like to stuff my
> personal materials off in a git repo of my own.
>
> I have been pulling all of these together into my ~/org directory, using
> symbolic links, for the benefit of mobile org.  That is, my ~/org
> directory has my main work org files, plus links to a bunch of others.
>
> That works well for syncing with mobile org.  Unfortunately, it's a mess
> for Emacs's version control mode.  VC mode sees the .svn directory in
> that place, and can handle the local files, but gets horribly confused
> by the sym-linked files.
>
> Anyone have a similar need to gather together a mess of org files, and
> have a cleaner solution?
>
> Extra credit if you have a way of creating the same set of symlinks on
> more than one machine! ;-)

How about keeping the separate projects in separate repositories and
just add the files from those multiple projects to your org-agenda-files
variable?

Then you see a consolidated view of multiple org projects (and the files
that contribute to that view can be individually set per machine - you
don't need all projects for all machines - but any repositories that are
available can contribute to your agenda.

Each of the projects are completely independent and don't need to know
about each other - just the org-agenda-files variable pulls them into
your agenda view.

Regards,
Bernt

* Re: Request for suggestions: multiple revision control systems/repositories + org
@ 2010-12-20  3:46   ` Robert P. Goldman
From: Robert P. Goldman @ 2010-12-20  3:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: Org Mode

That is what I had done originally, but I thought mobile org required that all the org files be in the same directory. Was I wrong about that?

@ 2010-12-20  4:25     ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-12-20  4:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert P. Goldman; +Cc: Org Mode

"Robert P. Goldman" <rpgoldman@sift.info> writes:

> That is what I had done originally, but I thought mobile org required that all the org files be in the same directory. Was I wrong about that?
>
> Thanks,

I'm not sure.  I don't currently use mobile org at all.

Regards,
Bernt

* Re: Request for suggestions: multiple revision control systems/repositories + org
@ 2010-12-20  7:03     ` Rémi Vanicat
From: Rémi Vanicat @ 2010-12-20  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Robert P. Goldman" <rpgoldman@sift.info> writes:

> That is what I had done originally, but I thought mobile org required that all the org files be in the same directory. Was I wrong about that?

I've org files in several directories, and in `org-agenda-files’, and
with a relatively recent org-mode files org-mobile just work. It is
`org-mobile-push’ and `org-mobile-pull’ that put a copy of all this in
`org-mobile-directory’.

--
Rémi Vanicat

* Re: Request for suggestions: multiple revision control systems/repositories + org
@ 2010-12-20 14:46       ` Robert Goldman
From: Robert Goldman @ 2010-12-20 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rémi Vanicat; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 12/20/10 Dec 20 -1:03 AM, Rémi Vanicat wrote:
> "Robert P. Goldman" <rpgoldman@sift.info> writes:
>
>> That is what I had done originally, but I thought mobile org required that all the org files be in the same directory. Was I wrong about that?
>>

> I've org files in several directories, and in `org-agenda-files’, and
> with a relatively recent org-mode files org-mobile just work. It is
> `org-mobile-push’ and `org-mobile-pull’ that put a copy of all this in
> `org-mobile-directory’.

Thanks.  I did what I should have before and read org-mobile-push, and
it seems clear that the org-directory variable just /allows/ me to have
relative path names.  It doesn't /require/ me to have all the org files
located in that directory, as long as I use absolute file names.

This will make things much easier to deal with between org-mode and vc-mode.

Thanks, everyone.

best,

* Re: Request for suggestions: multiple revision control systems/repositories + org
@ 2010-12-20 16:35 ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2010-12-20 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rpgoldman; +Cc: Org Mode

Robert Goldman <rpgoldman@sift.info> writes:

> I am looking for hints.  I have a number of org files, typically one for
> each major project plus two or three for my personal life.
>
> These must often live in different revision control systems: my work
> projects, in particular, have different repositories; I have a main set
> of org files for work in ~/org/, tracked by my employers' svn;
> occasionally, I do something outside, like work on a paper with someone
> outside my company in a dedicated git repo; and I'd like to stuff my
> personal materials off in a git repo of my own.
>
> I have been pulling all of these together into my ~/org directory, using
> symbolic links, for the benefit of mobile org.  That is, my ~/org
> directory has my main work org files, plus links to a bunch of others.
>
> That works well for syncing with mobile org.  Unfortunately, it's a mess
> for Emacs's version control mode.  VC mode sees the .svn directory in
> that place, and can handle the local files, but gets horribly confused
> by the sym-linked files.

In my experience, VC mode has a lot of issues with symlinks. I solved
these with the following:

(setq find-file-visit-truename t)

> Extra credit if you have a way of creating the same set of symlinks on
> more than one machine! ;-)

I use relative symlinks. Then I simply ensure that all repositories have
the same directory structure relative to ~/ on each machine.

Best,
Matt