* Bug: org -> org export ignores latex blocks [8.3.4 (8.3.4-50-g83e373-elpaplus @ /home/andrea/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20160509/)]
@ 2016-05-12 16:57 Andrea
From: Andrea @ 2016-05-12 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Remember to cover the basics, that is, what you expected to happen and
what in fact did happen.  You don't know how to make a good report?  See

     http://orgmode.org/manual/Feedback.html#Feedback

Your bug report will be posted to the Org-mode mailing list.

I am a great fan of org mode, so thanks a lot for maintaining this wonder!

The problem:

when I try to export an org file to an org buffer/file, LaTex blocks are
removed:

the org file
---------------
* Hello
#+BEGIN_LaTeX
hi I am latex
#+END_LaTeX
---------------
becomes
---------------
# Created 2016-05-12 Thu 17:45
#+TITLE:
#+AUTHOR: Andrea
* Hello
---------------

The export to html deletes these blocks as well.
Packages as ox-pandoc and org-pandoc use this functionality,
and so fail the export as well.
Hope this can be solved easily.
Thanks,

Andrea

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.20.3)
 of 2016-05-05 on arojas
Package: Org-mode version 8.3.4 (8.3.4-50-g83e373-elpaplus @ /home/andrea/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20160509/)

current state:
==============
(setq
 org-pandoc-epub-rights "Copyright 2016  <>"
 org-tab-first-hook '(org-hide-block-toggle-maybe org-babel-hide-result-toggle-maybe org-babel-header-arg-expand)
 org-speed-command-hook '(org-speed-command-default-hook org-babel-speed-command-hook)
 org-occur-hook '(org-first-headline-recenter)
 org-metaup-hook '(org-babel-load-in-session-maybe)
 org-html-format-drawer-function '(lambda (name contents) contents)
 org-log-done t
 org-latex-format-inlinetask-function 'org-latex-format-inlinetask-default-function
 org-confirm-shell-link-function 'yes-or-no-p
 org-ascii-format-inlinetask-function 'org-ascii-format-inlinetask-default
 org-latex-pdf-process '("texi2dvi -p -b -V %f")
 org-latex-format-headline-function 'org-latex-format-headline-default-function
 org-default-notes-file "~/org/notes.org"
 org-after-todo-state-change-hook '(org-clock-out-if-current)
 org-latex-format-drawer-function '(lambda (name contents) contents)
 org-from-is-user-regexp nil
 org-loop-over-headlines-in-active-region 'start-level
 org-src-mode-hook '(org-src-babel-configure-edit-buffer org-src-mode-configure-edit-buffer)
 org-agenda-before-write-hook '(org-agenda-add-entry-text)
 org-babel-pre-tangle-hook '(save-buffer)
 org-mode-hook '(#[nil "\300\301\302\303\304$\207" [org-add-hook change-major-mode-hook org-show-block-all append local] 5]
                 #[nil "\300\301\302\303\304$\207" [org-add-hook change-major-mode-hook org-babel-show-result-all append local]
                   5]
                 org-babel-result-hide-spec org-babel-hide-all-hashes turn-on-flyspell org-eldoc-load)
 org-archive-hook '(org-attach-archive-delete-maybe)
 org-ascii-format-drawer-function '(lambda (name contents width) contents)
 org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c-hook '(org-babel-hash-at-point org-babel-execute-safely-maybe)
 org-cycle-hook '(org-cycle-hide-archived-subtrees org-cycle-hide-drawers org-cycle-show-empty-lines
                  org-optimize-window-after-visibility-change)
 org-plantuml-jar-path "/home/andrea/.emacs.d/plantuml.jar"
 org-babel-tangle-lang-exts '(("haskell" . "hs") ("ruby" . "rb") ("python" . "py") ("java" . "java") ("ocaml" . "ml")
                              ("emacs-lisp" . "el") ("elisp" . "el"))
 org-confirm-elisp-link-function 'yes-or-no-p
 org-metadown-hook '(org-babel-pop-to-session-maybe)
 org-html-format-headline-function 'org-html-format-headline-default-function
 org-babel-load-languages '((ocaml . t) (java . t) (sh . t) (python . t) (ruby . t) (haskell . t) (plantuml . t))
 org-html-format-inlinetask-function 'org-html-format-inlinetask-default-function
 org-agenda-files '("~/myTasks.org")
 org-clock-out-hook '(org-clock-remove-empty-clock-drawer)
 )

* Re: Bug: org -> org export ignores latex blocks [8.3.4 (8.3.4-50-g83e373-elpaplus @ /home/andrea/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20160509/)]
@ 2016-05-12 18:53 ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2016-05-12 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrea; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 11:57 AM, Andrea <agiugliano91@gmail.com> wrote:

> Remember to cover the basics, that is, what you expected to happen and
> what in fact did happen.  You don't know how to make a good report?  See
>
>      http://orgmode.org/manual/Feedback.html#Feedback
>
> Your bug report will be posted to the Org-mode mailing list.
>
> Hello,
>
> I am a great fan of org mode, so thanks a lot for maintaining this wonder!
>
> The problem:
>
> when I try to export an org file to an org buffer/file, LaTex blocks are
> removed:
>
> the org file
> ---------------
> * Hello
> #+BEGIN_LaTeX
> hi I am latex
> #+END_LaTeX
> ---------------
> becomes
> ---------------
> # Created 2016-05-12 Thu 17:45
> #+TITLE:
> #+AUTHOR: Andrea
> * Hello
> ---------------

I believe this is due to the new syntax change for export blocks
announced a bit back. See:
- http://orgmode.org/cgit.cgi/org-mode.git/plain/etc/ORG-NEWS

Try this instead:

* Hello
#+BEGIN_export latex
hi I am latex
#+END_export

I get this in the resultant .tex:

\section{Hello}
\label{sec:org1f84eec}
hi I am latex
\end{document}

Best regards,
John

@ 2016-05-12 18:57   ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2016-05-12 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy, Andrea; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 2:53 PM John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> wrote:

> I believe this is due to the new syntax change for export blocks
> announced a bit back. See:
> - http://orgmode.org/cgit.cgi/org-mode.git/plain/etc/ORG-NEWS
>
> Try this instead:
>
> * Hello
> #+BEGIN_export latex
> hi I am latex
> #+END_export

I was going to say the same but then I saw that Andrea is using an
org-plus-contrib version. The new syntax would go in effect in org 9.0 or
for someone using org built from the master branch.

It should not affect users using org from maint branch or
org/org-plus-contrib from Org Elpa.

Kaushal Modi

@ 2016-05-12 19:16     ` John Hendy
  2016-05-12 21:41       ` Bug: org -> org export ignores latex blocks [8.3.4 (8.3.4-50-g83e373-elpaplus @ /home/andrea/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20160509/)] Andrea
From: John Hendy @ 2016-05-12 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaushal Modi; +Cc: Andrea, emacs-orgmode

Ah. I always wondered about that since the change is reported for 9.0
but it's in effect for me on:

Org-mode version 8.3.4 (release_8.3.4-753-gda4db33 @ ~/.elisp/org/lisp/)

But I've obviously built from git. Simple case would be for Andrea to
just try it and let us know :) Other than that, I'd defer to Nicholas
to say whether or not this should be going on.

Thanks for the clarification,
John

@ 2016-05-12 19:24       ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2016-05-12 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy, Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Andrea, emacs-orgmode

On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 3:16 PM John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ah. I always wondered about that since the change is reported for 9.0
> but it's in effect for me on:
>
> Org-mode version 8.3.4 (release_8.3.4-753-gda4db33 @ ~/.elisp/org/lisp/)
>
> But I've obviously built from git. Simple case would be for Andrea to
> just try it and let us know :) Other than that, I'd defer to Nicholas
> to say whether or not this should be going on.

If you just git clone, you clone the bleeding-edge master branch with
awesome new features :) You are on master branch built recently.

[image: pasted1]
I agree that the version number is confusing for people building from the
master branch. It's figuratively 9.0+, but org-version still gives
8.3.4-xxx-gxxxxxxx.

It would have been nice if the master branch built version showed a
different numerical version number than the one on the maint branch. Or
probably some prefix like dev/master? Nicolas?

Kaushal Modi

[-- Attachment #2: pasted1 --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 229187 bytes --]

@ 2016-05-12 19:27         ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2016-05-12 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaushal Modi; +Cc: Andrea, emacs-orgmode, Nicolas Goaziou

On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 2:24 PM, Kaushal Modi <kaushal.modi@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 3:16 PM John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Ah. I always wondered about that since the change is reported for 9.0
>> but it's in effect for me on:
>>
>> Org-mode version 8.3.4 (release_8.3.4-753-gda4db33 @ ~/.elisp/org/lisp/)
>>
>> But I've obviously built from git. Simple case would be for Andrea to
>> just try it and let us know :) Other than that, I'd defer to Nicholas
>> to say whether or not this should be going on.
>

> If you just git clone, you clone the bleeding-edge master branch with awesome new features :) You are on master branch built recently.
>

> I agree that the version number is confusing for people building from the master branch. It's figuratively 9.0+, but org-version still gives 8.3.4-xxx-gxxxxxxx.

Indeed, I didn't know that. I agree, if it's basically a
9.0-prerelease analog, knowing that 9.0 features are building (via the
version number) would be nice to know. Or maybe that's common
knowledge other than in my head :)

Thanks,
John

@ 2016-05-12 21:41       ` Andrea
From: Andrea @ 2016-05-12 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Kaushal Modi

Hello,

thanks for the fast reply. It actually works with the new syntax, thank
you!
There is a minor thing though: when I export a #+BEGIN_export latex to
an org buffer, it exports to #+BEGIN_export (without the latex). Maybe
this is a bug?
Thanks,

Andrea

P.S: I did not know about these changes, I will look forward for them!

@ 2016-05-12 22:00         ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2016-05-12 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrea; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 5:38 PM Andrea <agiugliano91@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> thanks for the fast reply. It actually works with the new syntax, thank
> you!
> There is a minor thing though: when I export a #+BEGIN_export latex to
> an org buffer, it exports to #+BEGIN_export (without the latex). Maybe
> this is a bug?
> Thanks,
>
> Andrea
>
> P.S: I did not know about these changes, I will look forward for them!

This was announced here on the list (
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2015-12/msg00525.html ).
It is also in ORG-NEWS for version 9.0 (
http://orgmode.org/cgit.cgi/org-mode.git/tree/etc/ORG-NEWS#n11 ).

But I am surprised that that fix applied to your org-plus-contrib version.

It applies only to the version built from the master branch. Is
org-plus-contrib the only version that you have installed? Or do you have
multiple versions of org installed, including the one from org git?

Kaushal Modi

@ 2016-05-12 22:23           ` Andrea
From: Andrea @ 2016-05-12 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaushal Modi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I think I saw that, but I did not read it carefully. And since the
autocompletion (I mean <l+TAB) still gives me the #+BEGINE_LaTex it did
not occur to me that may be the problem.

By the way, I did not clone the git repo, so I should be on the master
published on ELPA. When I give org-version in emacs I get:
Org-mode version 8.3.4 (8.3.4-50-g83e373-elpaplus @
/home/andrea/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20160509/)

On package-list-packages I have

  org                20160509      installed             Outline-based notes management and organizer
  org-plus-contrib   20160509      installed             Outline-based notes management and organizer

For the first one I get:
org is an installed package.

    Other versions: 20160509 (org), 20160509 (gnu), builtin.

[back]

and the second:

org-plus-contrib is an installed package.

    Other versions: 20160509 (org).

[back]

Do you think my configuration is messed up?
Thanks,

Andrea

@ 2016-05-12 22:27             ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2016-05-12 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrea; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Nicolas Goaziou

On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 6:20 PM Andrea <agiugliano91@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think I saw that, but I did not read it carefully. And since the
> autocompletion (I mean <l+TAB) still gives me the #+BEGINE_LaTex it did
> not occur to me that may be the problem.
>
> By the way, I did not clone the git repo, so I should be on the master
> published on ELPA.

The versions published on ELPA are from the maint branch of org git.

> When I give org-version in emacs I get:
> Org-mode version 8.3.4 (8.3.4-50-g83e373-elpaplus @
> /home/andrea/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20160509/)
>
> On package-list-packages I have
>
>   org                20160509      installed             Outline-based
> notes management and organizer
>   org-plus-contrib   20160509      installed             Outline-based
> notes management and organizer

Correct, both are the exact same stable 8.3.x versions; just that
org-plus-contrib has the packages in contrib/ folder which the other does
not have.

Also installing just org-plus-contrib should suffice. You do not need to
install both. If you are not using any package from the contrib/ area (
http://orgmode.org/cgit.cgi/org-mode.git/tree/contrib/lisp?h=maint ), you
do not need org-plus-contrib, and you can use just the org package.

But the mystery is still unresolved for me.. why did #+BEGIN_EXPORT syntax
work for you .. May be someone else more knowledgeable can answer that.

Kaushal Modi

@ 2016-05-12 22:44               ` Andrea
From: Andrea @ 2016-05-12 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaushal Modi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Nicolas Goaziou

Okay, I have deleted the org one and left the org-contrib:
I can still use the new feature (probably org-contrib enables it).
Thanks for your explanation,

@ 2016-05-13 15:45         ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-05-13 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaushal Modi; +Cc: Andrea, emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Kaushal Modi <kaushal.modi@gmail.com> writes:

> It would have been nice if the master branch built version showed a
> different numerical version number than the one on the maint branch. Or
> probably some prefix like dev/master? Nicolas?

Deciding the next version number ahead of time isn't always right from
the beginning of the branch. I guess a "dev" suffix should be enough.

However, I don't know how to change the release tag, which is defined in
a somewhat convoluted way. Bastien or Achim probably know how to do it.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Unique org version for dev builds? (Was: org -> org export ignores latex ..)
@ 2016-05-16 15:31           ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2016-05-16 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien Guerry, Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Nicolas Goaziou