* Bug: Repeated tasks not shown from org-timeline [9.0 (9.0-dist @ c:/wlin/.emacs-lisp/org/lisp/)]
@ 2016-11-04 14:12 Warren Lynn
From: Warren Lynn @ 2016-11-04 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

With a simple org file of just one entry as below:

* TODO A weekly task
  SCHEDULED: <2016-11-04 Fri +1w>

If I run org-timeline, I expect to see this task show up on every
Friday. But only one line is in the timeline, for "2016-11-04"
only. This behavior will make user have doubts when checking a date in the
timeline.

BTW: if we change the above file into the following:

* TODO A weekly task
  SCHEDULED: <2016-11-04 Fri +1w>
* TODO Some other task in next week.
  SCHEDULED: <2016-11-11 Fri>

Then orgline WILL show the repeat task for "2016-11-11".

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2015-05-16 on KAEL
Package: Org mode version 9.0 (9.0-dist @ c:/wlin/.emacs-lisp/org/lisp/)

* Re: Bug: Repeated tasks not shown from org-timeline [9.0 (9.0-dist @ c:/wlin/.emacs-lisp/org/lisp/)]
@ 2016-11-04 18:38 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-11-04 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warren Lynn; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Warren Lynn <wrn.lynn@gmail.com> writes:

> With a simple org file of just one entry as below:
>
> * TODO A weekly task
>   SCHEDULED: <2016-11-04 Fri +1w>
>
> If I run org-timeline, I expect to see this task show up on every
> Friday. But only one line is in the timeline, for "2016-11-04"
> only. This behavior will make user have doubts when checking a date in the
> timeline.
>
> BTW: if we change the above file into the following:
>
> * TODO A weekly task
>   SCHEDULED: <2016-11-04 Fri +1w>
> * TODO Some other task in next week.
>   SCHEDULED: <2016-11-11 Fri>
>
> Then orgline WILL show the repeat task for "2016-11-11".

Org Timeline is pretty much deprecated. Carsten pointed out its
limitations years ago already (I cannot find the references on the ML,
tho).

I suggest to stay away from this feature, which ought to be removed at
some point. You can probably obtain the same feature with an agenda view
restricted to buffer.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Bug: Repeated tasks not shown from org-timeline [9.0 (9.0-dist @ c:/wlin/.emacs-lisp/org/lisp/)]
@ 2016-11-07 18:18   ` Warren Lynn
From: Warren Lynn @ 2016-11-07 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warren Lynn, emacs-orgmode

Thanks. I have been using org mode for probably over 10 years, but did not
keep checking the messages.

The feature is very useful to me. Do you have any suggestion how to
replicate this with an agenda view (with skipped empty days, especially)?
Thanks.

@ 2016-11-08 23:07     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-11-08 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warren Lynn; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Warren Lynn <wrn.lynn@gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks. I have been using org mode for probably over 10 years, but did not
> keep checking the messages.

I'm not suggesting that you should have. I just happened to remember
Carsten writing about timeline being more or less obsolete.

I haven't investigated about it, tho.

> The feature is very useful to me. Do you have any suggestion how to
> replicate this with an agenda view (with skipped empty days,
> especially)?

No idea. However, custom agenda views are very versatile. Also,
`org-agenda-show-all-dates' may be used to ignore empty days.

In any case, it would be interesting to know what timeline features are
really missing so we can add them, if possible, and remove the timeline
functionality.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Bug: Repeated tasks not shown from org-timeline [9.0 (9.0-dist @ c:/wlin/.emacs-lisp/org/lisp/)]
@ 2016-11-08 23:17       ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2016-11-08 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warren Lynn, emacs-orgmode

i recommend searching for carsten's history of the timeline.  it was
detailed and possibly includes ideas for emulating it in agenda.  part
of the issue was that the timeline was invented before some new
features, possibly including repeaters, but did not get updated for
them.  there are also efficiency issues with looping.

* Re: Bug: Repeated tasks not shown from org-timeline [9.0 (9.0-dist @ c:/wlin/.emacs-lisp/org/lisp/)]
@ 2016-11-09 17:23         ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2016-11-09 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> i recommend searching for carsten's history of the timeline.  it was
> detailed and possibly includes ideas for emulating it in agenda.  part
> of the issue was that the timeline was invented before some new
> features, possibly including repeaters, but did not get updated for
> them.  there are also efficiency issues with looping.

I found a reference to it here:

   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2012-01/msg00015.html

pointing to

   http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/39368/focus=40038

but when I visit the latter, the thread seems incomplete: probably
a casualty of the gmane problems.

--
Nick

* Re: Bug: Repeated tasks not shown from org-timeline [9.0 (9.0-dist @ c:/wlin/.emacs-lisp/org/lisp/)]
@ 2016-11-09 18:04           ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2016-11-09 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:

> Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> i recommend searching for carsten's history of the timeline.  it was
>> detailed and possibly includes ideas for emulating it in agenda.  part
>> of the issue was that the timeline was invented before some new
>> features, possibly including repeaters, but did not get updated for
>> them.  there are also efficiency issues with looping.
>>

> I found a reference to it here:
>
>    http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2012-01/msg00015.html
>
> pointing to
>
>    http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/39368/focus=40038
>
> but when I visit the latter, the thread seems incomplete: probably
> a casualty of the gmane problems.

Found it:

    https://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org/msg39801.html

--
Nick

* Re: Bug: Repeated tasks not shown from org-timeline [9.0 (9.0-dist @ c:/wlin/.emacs-lisp/org/lisp/)]
@ 2016-11-10 15:09             ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-11-10 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:

> Found it:
>
>     https://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org/msg39801.html

Next question is: is there any need to keep timeline or could we
deprecate it in, e.g., Org 9.1?

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Bug: Repeated tasks not shown from org-timeline [9.0 (9.0-dist @ c:/wlin/.emacs-lisp/org/lisp/)]
@ 2016-11-10 20:03               ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2016-11-10 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Hello,
>
> Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Found it:
>>
>>     https://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org/msg39801.html
>
> Next question is: is there any need to keep timeline or could we
> deprecate it in, e.g., Org 9.1?

I don't use timeline, so I'm not the best person to answer it, but that
question has been hanging out there for 5+ years: unless somebody
speaks up with a compelling reason to keep it, I'd say get rid of it.

--
Nick

* Re: Bug: Repeated tasks not shown from org-timeline [9.0 (9.0-dist @ c:/wlin/.emacs-lisp/org/lisp/)]
@ 2016-12-09 21:26                 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-12-09 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:

> I don't use timeline, so I'm not the best person to answer it, but that
> question has been hanging out there for 5+ years: unless somebody
> speaks up with a compelling reason to keep it, I'd say get rid of it.

I crossed the Rubicon; I removed `org-timeline'.

Nicolas Goaziou