* revealing context in org-occur-in-agenda-files
@ 2008-01-23 10:19 Adam Spiers
From: Adam Spiers @ 2008-01-23 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've just discovered org-occur-in-agenda-files which is very cool, but
I notice that when you follow a match which is a level 2 headline or
lower, it doesn't automatically reveal the context of that headline,
so you end up having to follow it with a manual invocation of
org-reveal.  Am I missing something or could the org-reveal be done
automatically?

* Re: revealing context in org-occur-in-agenda-files
@ 2008-01-23 10:52 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-01-23 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

The same problem exists with normal `M-x occur'.

Fixing this would require advising a number of occur functions.
Maybe it is better to to define a new hook for the occur commands
that we then can use for this.  I'll look into it.  Very likely
this will work in 5.20, but it will require a fresh CVS Emacs.

- Carsten

@ 2008-01-23 11:08   ` Adam Spiers
From: Adam Spiers @ 2008-01-23 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 11:52:39AM +0100, Carsten Dominik wrote:
> The same problem exists with normal `M-x occur'.
>
> Fixing this would require advising a number of occur functions.

Ah of course, I hadn't twigged that it just uses occur-mode.

> Maybe it is better to to define a new hook for the occur commands
> that we then can use for this.  I'll look into it.  Very likely
> this will work in 5.20, but it will require a fresh CVS Emacs.

I'd rather have the advice to save switching to CVS emacs on all my
computers, but then I'm selfish ;-)  Thanks a lot whichever you choose.

* Re: revealing context in org-occur-in-agenda-files
@ 2008-01-23 16:16     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-01-23 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jan 23, 2008, at 12:08 PM, Adam Spiers wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 11:52:39AM +0100, Carsten Dominik wrote:
>> The same problem exists with normal `M-x occur'.
>>
>> Fixing this would require advising a number of occur functions.
>
> Ah of course, I hadn't twigged that it just uses occur-mode.
>
>> Maybe it is better to to define a new hook for the occur commands
>> that we then can use for this.  I'll look into it.  Very likely
>> this will work in 5.20, but it will require a fresh CVS Emacs.
>
> I'd rather have the advice to save switching to CVS emacs on all my
> computers, but then I'm selfish ;-)  Thanks a lot whichever you
> choose.

I am afraid I will go the way of creating a hook, this is more
consistent
and will work better for the different functions involved.

Of course, you can fix this for yourself.
For example (untested):

(defadvice occur-mode-goto-occurrence
   (after org-occur-reveal activate)
   (and (org-mode-p) (org-reveal)))
(defadvice occur-mode-goto-occurrence-other-window
   (after org-occur-reveal activate)
   (and (org-mode-p) (org-reveal)))
(defadvice occur-mode-display-occurrence
   (after org-occur-reveal activate)
   (when (org-mode-p)
     (let ((pos (occur-mode-find-occurrence)))
       (with-current-buffer (marker-buffer pos)
	(save-excursion
	  (goto-char pos)
	  (org-reveal))))))

Let me know if this works for all three functions and if I have missed
any other functions which need this.  If it works, I'll put it into
org.el as a temporary measure, untile the release of Emacs 23.

- Carsten

* Re: revealing context in org-occur-in-agenda-files
@ 2017-08-28  7:17   ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2017-08-28  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nick Helm <nick@tenpoint.co.nz> writes:

> I see the fix for this bug (commit
> 91c68865c644277772028faca96b7ff03541e7cf) was merged for org 9.0.10.
>
> However, I installed 9.0.10 this morning and the bug still occurs.
>
> Apologies if I am missing something.

Oops. Fixed.

Nicolas Goaziou