* Table changes - entering new fields
@ 2009-04-20 18:11 Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2009-04-20 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Did the user interface for tables change recently?  When I TAB between
fields in a table entering anything normally blanks out the field and
replaces it with whatever new I am typing.

Today it always seems to insert in front of whatever is already there.

I'm just wondering if this was an intentional change or if it's a bug.
I didn't notice anything in the release notes about this (but maybe I
just missed it).

-Bernt

* BUG: Navigating table to change fields (was: Table changes - entering new fields)
@ 2009-04-20 18:17 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2009-04-20 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Okay I think this is a bug.  If I traverse the table FORWARDS with TAB
and type it inserts in front of the field that is there.  If I traverse
it BACKWARDS with S-TAB it clears the field when I type.

This seems inconsistent (and I really like the blank the field as soon
as you type behaviour)

-Bernt

Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Did the user interface for tables change recently?  When I TAB between
> fields in a table entering anything normally blanks out the field and
> replaces it with whatever new I am typing.
>
> Today it always seems to insert in front of whatever is already there.
>
> I'm just wondering if this was an intentional change or if it's a bug.
> I didn't notice anything in the release notes about this (but maybe I
> just missed it).
>
> -Bernt

* Re: BUG: Navigating table to change fields
@ 2009-04-20 19:43   ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2009-04-20 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nevermind.  It works.

Gah. Sorry for the noise.  This turns out to be my yasnippet setup
messing up the TAB key in tables. :/  It works fine for a minimal emacs
test.

-Bernt

Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> writes:

> Okay I think this is a bug.  If I traverse the table FORWARDS with TAB
> and type it inserts in front of the field that is there.  If I traverse
> it BACKWARDS with S-TAB it clears the field when I type.
>
> This seems inconsistent (and I really like the blank the field as soon
> as you type behaviour)
>
> -Bernt
>

> Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Did the user interface for tables change recently?  When I TAB between
>> fields in a table entering anything normally blanks out the field and
>> replaces it with whatever new I am typing.
>>
>> Today it always seems to insert in front of whatever is already there.
>>
>> I'm just wondering if this was an intentional change or if it's a bug.
>> I didn't notice anything in the release notes about this (but maybe I
>> just missed it).
>>
>> -Bernt

* Re: Re: BUG: Navigating table to change fields
@ 2009-04-20 20:35     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-04-20 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Maybe we should have a hook in org-cycle where yasnippet can
hook into, instead of overruling the TAB key......

- Carsten

@ 2009-04-20 21:02       ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2009-04-20 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

A hook in org-cycle could be useful aside from yasnippets.  I recently
found myself writing a defadvice for org-cycle in a situation where a
hook would have been preferable. -- Eric

@ 2009-04-20 21:09         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-04-20 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

So what would be the right place to call it?  Which context checks
should com before the hook, and which after?

- Carsten

@ 2009-04-20 22:02           ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2009-04-20 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Maybe a list rather than a hook, say `org-cycle-actions'.  Each element
of the list could be called in the current context until one returns a
non-nil result.  Something like...

(let ((pending org-cycle-actions)
      finished)
  (while (not finished)
    (setq finished (funcall (car pending)))
    (setq pending (cdr pending))))

If the existing org-cycle actions (fold headline, org-cycle-table,
etc...) were implemented using the list then users could have the
options of putting their actions before or after (after being good if
say they have a very expensive check which shouldn't be run every time
tab is hit).

Does that sound appropriate? -- Eric

@ 2009-04-20 22:51       ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2009-04-20 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

That would probably be better.  I just copied my current setup from
discussions on the org-mode list about yasnippet.

Is there anything I can do to help make that happen?

-Bernt

@ 2009-04-21  7:44             ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-04-21  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Apr 21, 2009, at 12:02 AM, Eric Schulte wrote:

> Maybe a list rather than a hook, say `org-cycle-actions'.  Each
> element
> of the list could be called in the current context until one returns a
> non-nil result.  Something like...
>
> (let ((pending org-cycle-actions)
>      finished)
>  (while (not finished)
>    (setq finished (funcall (car pending)))
>    (setq pending (cdr pending))))
>
> If the existing org-cycle actions (fold headline, org-cycle-table,
> etc...) were implemented using the list then users could have the
> options of putting their actions before or after (after being good if
> say they have a very expensive check which shouldn't be run every time
> tab is hit).
>
> Does that sound appropriate? -- Eric

This would be a very general solution.  However, maybe this is more
than we need, it is not so easy to implement because org-cycle handles
a number of special cases which have grown into it over the years.

I guess a good solution will to to make several hooks which I have
done now.
I believe yasnippet should hook itself into the third one.  Here are
the hooks:

(defvar org-tab-first-hook nil
   "Hook for functions to attach themselves to TAB.
See `org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c-hook' for more information.
This hook runs as the first action when TAB is pressed.
If any function in this hook returns t, not other actions like table
field motion visibility cycling will be done.")

(defvar org-tab-after-check-for-table-hook nil
   "Hook for functions to attach themselves to TAB.
See `org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c-hook' for more information.
This hook runs after it has been established that the cursor is not in a
table, but before checking if the cursor is in a headline or if global
cycling
should be done.
If any function in this hook returns t, not other actions like
visibility
cycling will be done.")

(defvar org-tab-after-check-for-cycling-hook nil
   "Hook for functions to attach themselves to TAB.
See `org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c-hook' for more information.
This hook runs after it has been established that not table field
motion and
not visibility should be done because of current context.  This is
probably
the place where a package like yasnippets can hook in.")

@ 2009-04-21  7:51         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-04-21  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Apr 21, 2009, at 12:51 AM, Bernt Hansen wrote:

> That would probably be better.  I just copied my current setup from
> discussions on the org-mode list about yasnippet.
>
> Is there anything I can do to help make that happen?

I have added this hook, see my other message.

I guess what you can do it to talk to the yasnippet author and try to
make it
attach itself to Org-mode in the proper way.

With the new release, the proper way would be this:

1. Write a function that checks for an executes the yasnippet
    action, and returns t. If no snippet is to be expanded, the
    function must return nil.

2. Yasnipped should use an `eval-after' form to check for the
    existence of the hook o`rg-tab-after-check-for-cycling-action'
    and to add the new function to that hook.

3. The current way of setting up yasnippet for Org-mode might be
    used as a backup method for older versions of Org, even though,
    as you noted, it breaks some functionality in Org.

- Carsten