* Mediawiki and org-mode
@ 2010-09-10 21:35 Alex Kozak
From: Alex Kozak @ 2010-09-10 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

I'm an org-mode novice, but in learning to use it I've seen that there's
this lingering community desire for org-mode and wiki compatibility (it
comes up at the end of the 2008 Google talk and on this mailing list
periodically).

In case it isn't very well known, I wanted to let you all know that there is
an emacs client for editing MediaWiki pages (mediawiki.el) [1]. There are
some open bugs and plenty of features to add, but in general it seems like
it could be a bridge between MediaWiki and org-mode files. I'm considering
using a private MediaWiki installation to store my org-mode files.

Alex

[1] https://launchpad.net/mediawiki-el

--
Alex Kozak
Program Assistant

* Re: Mediawiki and org-mode
@ 2010-09-20  8:24 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2010-09-20  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Kozak; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

I have improved the experimental export engine I've been promising for
way too long.  It lives in the EXPERIMENTAL/ directory of the git repo:

  http://repo.or.cz/w/org-mode.git/blob/b63f5333e7bbab900b134584d07e158aeba14844:/EXPERIMENTAL/org-export.el

I'm also releasing org-mediawiki.el:

  http://lumiere.ens.fr/~guerry/u/org-mediawiki.el

org-mediawiki.el uses this experimental export engine.

I will try to create a page on Worg explaining how this new export
engine works so that people can start coding their own exporters.

Thanks for sending bug reports, feature requests and ideas!

--
 Bastien

* Re: Mediawiki and org-mode
@ 2010-09-20  8:29   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-09-20  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Alex Kozak

On Sep 20, 2010, at 10:24 AM, Bastien wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have improved the experimental export engine I've been promising for
> way too long.  It lives in the EXPERIMENTAL/ directory of the git
> repo:
>
>  http://repo.or.cz/w/org-mode.git/blob/b63f5333e7bbab900b134584d07e158aeba14844:/EXPERIMENTAL/org-export.el

Wow, I am glad you got back to this - this is still very much needed
code, I think.

- Carsten

> I'm also releasing org-mediawiki.el:
>
>  http://lumiere.ens.fr/~guerry/u/org-mediawiki.el
>
> org-mediawiki.el uses this experimental export engine.
>
> I will try to create a page on Worg explaining how this new export
> engine works so that people can start coding their own exporters.
>
> Thanks for sending bug reports, feature requests and ideas!
>
> --
> Bastien

- Carsten

* Re: Mediawiki and org-mode
@ 2010-09-20  9:33     ` Dan Davison
From: Dan Davison @ 2010-09-20  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Alex Kozak, Bastien

> On Sep 20, 2010, at 10:24 AM, Bastien wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have improved the experimental export engine I've been promising for
>> way too long.  It lives in the EXPERIMENTAL/ directory of the git
>> repo:
>>
>>  http://repo.or.cz/w/org-mode.git/blob/b63f5333e7bbab900b134584d07e158aeba14844:/EXPERIMENTAL/org-export.el

Hi Bastien,

This looks really nice.

This is a slightly cosmetic issue, but would it make sense to separate
the parsing functions from the strictly export-related stuff? (e.g. put
them in org.el or a library of their own org-parse.el). They look useful
in situations outside export, and it would be nice if there were one
"official" method for parsing an org buffer into a lisp
representation. But perhaps it would hurt the new exporter to demand
that the parsing code is general-purpose?

dan

> Wow, I am glad you got back to this - this is still very much needed
> code, I think.
>
> - Carsten
>

>> I'm also releasing org-mediawiki.el:
>>
>>  http://lumiere.ens.fr/~guerry/u/org-mediawiki.el
>>
>> org-mediawiki.el uses this experimental export engine.
>>
>> I will try to create a page on Worg explaining how this new export
>> engine works so that people can start coding their own exporters.
>>
>> Thanks for sending bug reports, feature requests and ideas!
>>
>> --
>> Bastien

> - Carsten

* Re: Mediawiki and org-mode
@ 2010-09-21 22:54       ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2010-09-21 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Davison; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Alex Kozak, Carsten Dominik

Hi Dan,

Dan Davison <davison@stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:

> This is a slightly cosmetic issue, but would it make sense to separate
> the parsing functions from the strictly export-related stuff?

I see no real problem here, but I'd rather wait for real use-cases
before allowing the parsing code to sneak into org-mode/lisp/org.el
(org org-parse.el).

If you have such a use-case in mind please tell me :)

Also, since this parser/exporter is quite experimental, it's easier
for me for now to have all in one place...

> But perhaps it would hurt the new exporter to demand
> that the parsing code is general-purpose?

Not at all!

--
 Bastien