* Column view and subtask overview interaction
@ 2010-12-03  5:00 James Deaton
From: James Deaton @ 2010-12-03  5:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm running a pull from yesterday and have noticed something a bit
strange. I haven't been using column view with a subtask overview until
today so I do not know if this particular usage had been working.

I have a simple list of tasks:

** Application Discovery [0/5]
*** STARTED Service Catalog Definition
:Barbara:
*** TODO Application Inventory
:Brian:Chris:
*** TODO Policies
:Barbara:
*** STARTED Projects In Flight
:All:
*** TODO Future Projects
:All:

Now, if I go into column view to do some updates such as change one
keyword such as a TODO to DONE, when I exit column view, the parent
heading is wiped out and replaced as below:

** [1/5[1/5[1/5[1/5[1/5[1/5]5]
*** STARTED Service Catalog Definition
:Barbara:
*** DONE Application Inventory
:Brian:Chris:
     - State "DONE"       from "TODO"       [2010-12-02 Thu 22:52]
*** TODO Policies
:Barbara:
*** STARTED Projects In Flight
:All:
*** TODO Future Projects
:All:

When I first ran into this earlier today I had manipulated about 30
subtasks clobbering 5 different parent tasks before I noticed when I
exited column view. I think I'm more frustrated by not knowing enough to
help find a fix.

* Re: Column view and subtask overview interaction
@ 2010-12-03 15:55 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-12-03 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Deaton; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

James Deaton <jed@onenet.net> writes:

> I'm running a pull from yesterday and have noticed something a bit
> strange. I haven't been using column view with a subtask overview
> until today so I do not know if this particular usage had been
> working.
>
> I have a simple list of tasks:
>
> ** Application Discovery [0/5]
> *** STARTED Service Catalog Definition
> :Barbara:
> *** TODO Application Inventory
> :Brian:Chris:
> *** TODO Policies
> :Barbara:
> *** STARTED Projects In Flight
> :All:
> *** TODO Future Projects
> :All:
>
> Now, if I go into column view to do some updates such as change one
> keyword such as a TODO to DONE, when I exit column view, the parent
> heading is wiped out and replaced as below:
>
> ** [1/5[1/5[1/5[1/5[1/5[1/5]5]
> *** STARTED Service Catalog Definition
> :Barbara:
> *** DONE Application Inventory
> :Brian:Chris:
>     - State "DONE"       from "TODO"       [2010-12-02 Thu 22:52]
> *** TODO Policies
> :Barbara:
> *** STARTED Projects In Flight
> :All:
> *** TODO Future Projects
> :All:
>
> When I first ran into this earlier today I had manipulated about 30
> subtasks clobbering 5 different parent tasks before I noticed when I
> exited column view. I think I'm more frustrated by not knowing enough
> to help find a fix.

I can confirm this behaviour and it existed all the way back to at least
release 4.76.  I didn't try anything older than that.

-Bernt

* Re: Re: Column view and subtask overview interaction
@ 2011-02-04  9:48   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-02-04  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: James Deaton, emacs-orgmode

Hi James and Bernt,

Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> writes:

>> ** [1/5[1/5[1/5[1/5[1/5[1/5]5]
>> *** STARTED Service Catalog Definition
>> :Barbara:
>> *** DONE Application Inventory
>> :Brian:Chris:
>>     - State "DONE"       from "TODO"       [2010-12-02 Thu 22:52]
>> *** TODO Policies
>> :Barbara:
>> *** STARTED Projects In Flight
>> :All:
>> *** TODO Future Projects
>> :All:
>>
>> When I first ran into this earlier today I had manipulated about 30
>> subtasks clobbering 5 different parent tasks before I noticed when I
>> exited column view. I think I'm more frustrated by not knowing enough
>> to help find a fix.
>
> I can confirm this behaviour and it existed all the way back to at least
> release 4.76.  I didn't try anything older than that.

I just pushed a fix for this.

In column view, when a todo-state change triggered an update of the todo
statistics, org-update-parent-todo-statistics was not able to update the
stats cookie correctly.

Thanks to James for the precise report and to you for the confirmation!

--
 Bastien