* Re: Re: Possible Calc support for Org-Babel?
@ 2010-10-29 14:46       ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-10-29 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Sébastien Vauban <wxhgmqzgwmuf@spammotel.com> writes:

[...]
> executing Calc code block...
> if: Symbol's function definition is void: calc-push-list
>
> Required =calc= by calling =C-x * *=:

hmm, I just pushed the actual ob-calc.el file up to the repository.  Do
you still get these errors if you loaf up calc support through calling
(require 'ob-calc)?

* Re: Re: Possible Calc support for Org-Babel?
@ 2010-11-04 15:33     ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-11-04 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Sébastien Vauban <wxhgmqzgwmuf@spammotel.com> writes:

> There must be something stupid in my config, but even a simple one like the
> following does not work for me:
>
> #+begin_src calc
> 1
> 2
> '+
> #+end_src
>
> Error is:
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
> executing Calc code block...
> calc-push-list: Symbol's value as variable is void: calc-command-flags
> #+end_src
>
> Though, I confirm you that I have loaded both =calc= and =ob-calc=... Any idea?

That variable is defined in my version of calc.el (distributed with the
latest version of Emacs from git).  Is that variable not defined in your
calc.el file?  Maybe the solution is to upgrade your calc.

* Re: Re: Possible Calc support for Org-Babel?
@ 2010-11-04 16:23         ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-11-04 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Sébastien Vauban <wxhgmqzgwmuf@spammotel.com> writes:

> Eric,
>
> "Eric Schulte" wrote:
>> Sébastien Vauban <wxhgmqzgwmuf@spammotel.com> writes:
>>
>>> There must be something stupid in my config, but even a simple one like the
>>> following does not work for me:
>>>
>>> #+begin_src calc
>>> 1
>>> 2
>>> '+
>>> #+end_src
>>>
>>> Error is:
>>>
>>> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
>>> executing Calc code block...
>>> calc-push-list: Symbol's value as variable is void: calc-command-flags
>>> #+end_src
>>>
>>> Though, I confirm you that I have loaded both =calc= and =ob-calc=... Any idea?
>>
>> That variable is defined in my version of calc.el (distributed with the
>> latest version of Emacs from git).  Is that variable not defined in your
>> calc.el file?  Maybe the solution is to upgrade your calc.
>
> I have "GNU Emacs 23.1.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2009-10-14 on
> LENNART-69DE564 (patched)" (known as EmacsW32, latest version that Lennart put
> online).
>
> Library is file "c:/Program Files/Emacs/emacs/lisp/calc/calc.elc", and I see
> (on line 1544 of the =.el= file):
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
> (defvar calc-command-flags)
> #+end_src
>
> ELC seems well compiled from that EL, as times report:
>
>   -rw-rw-rw-  1 Fabrice Aucun 138805 2009-10-14 02:45 calc.el
>   -rw-rw-rw-  1 Fabrice Aucun 103841 2009-10-14 02:46 calc.elc
>
> Setting it myself to nil -- I have no idea why I must do this! -- :
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
> (setq calc-command-flags nil)
> #+end_src

Hmm, that is weird.  I guess you could search for the text variable name
in your calc.el file, but I don't know how that would help you.  Since
I'm requiring calc from ob-calc.el, and I am only calling existing calc
functions I'm going to treat this as a calc bug (i.e. beyond my scope).

> has the effect that many examples now work.
>
> Not all, though. For example,
>
> #+begin_src calc
> 2*e
> #+end_src
>
> returns =nil=:
>
> #+results:
> : nil

That is the only example I gave that uses a calc default variable.
Maybe this is also a difference in our calc implementations?

Best -- Eric

@ 2011-03-01 20:48 orgmode
From: orgmode @ 2011-03-01 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: orgmode

Hi,

addition of babel support for calc is nice.  However calc also has
"embedded mode".  that means active calc documents can easily be
embedded in org documents (and also latex, ...).  It is different from
babel, but in some instances it may work better.

* Re: Re: Possible Calc support for Org-Babel?
@ 2011-03-02 11:28 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-03-02 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: orgmode@h-rd.org; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"orgmode@h-rd.org" <orgmode@h-rd.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> addition of babel support for calc is nice.  However calc also has
> "embedded mode".  that means active calc documents can easily be
> embedded in org documents (and also latex, ...).  It is different from
> babel, but in some instances it may work better.

Indeed.  Embedded mode is excellent and there is some overlap with what
babel provides.  I like them both.
--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.4 (release_7.4.576.g99675.dirty)