* how to narrow Clock Total on repeating tasks?
@ 2011-08-01 18:36 Michael Gilbert
From: Michael Gilbert @ 2011-08-01 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi —

I use the effort and clocking features of OM to a large degree and am trying to deepen that further. I have run into one problem that I don't know how to apprach. Quite possibly there is an obvious answer in the manual that I've missed and if so, please forgive me. (I have noticed that most of my questions don't, in fact, have such answers though.) I am trying to figure out how to limit the calculation of the clocking total to the latest iteration of a repeating task.

The most obvious place where this plays out is in column view. I am working my way through my agenda in column view, estimating efforts or reviewing my effort estimates against real-time clocking. The clock total in this view shows the full total over all iterations of repeating tasks — not helpful for this use case.

Am I being clear? (I hate to over-explain something to a group of this calibre.) Any advice on how to change that?

— Michael

Nonprofit News
http://nonprofitnews.org

* Re: how to narrow Clock Total on repeating tasks?
@ 2011-08-10 21:29 ` Michael Gilbert
From: Michael Gilbert @ 2011-08-10 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all —

Been through some rough family time and I worry that I may have missed a response to this question. I apologize if that's the case. If not, is there anyone with any insights?

Basically, I'm just looking for a way to narrow the scope of the clock total to the current iteration of task, in the context of the column view of the agenda. Comparing effort to total doesn't make a lot of sense if the former is an estimate per iteration and the latter is an total over all iterations.

At least not to me. There's always the likelihood that I'm just missing something.

— Michael

@ 2011-08-12  2:41   ` Memnon Anon
From: Memnon Anon @ 2011-08-12  2:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Michael,

Michael Gilbert <mcg@gilbert.org> writes:

> Basically, I'm just looking for a way to narrow the scope of the clock
> total to the current iteration of task, in the context of the column
> view of the agenda. Comparing effort to total doesn't make a lot of
> sense if the former is an estimate per iteration and the latter is an
> total over all iterations.

I don't know a solution to solve this (yet). I have the same "problem"
with column view and repeated items, but I never found time to locate
where all this column mode trickery happens, especially because I think all
that overlay stuff is way out of my league ...

I personally just ignore the clock total in my daily agenda and focus on
the effort column. But every time I clock a task in, there is this nice
reminder in the modeline which tells me: Hey, org *knows* already the
necessary number, its figured out someplace and put right there in my
modeline: Having that in agenda-daily column view would be cool, but as
I said, no time and probably too hard for me...

Memnon

P.S.: Tired as hell, I hope what I wrote makes any sense at all and
there are not too many typos ... Its almost 05am here.

* Re: how to narrow Clock Total on repeating tasks?
@ 2011-08-19  8:48 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-08-19  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Michael,

Michael Gilbert <mcg@gilbert.org> writes:

> I have run into one problem that I don't
> know how to apprach. Quite possibly there is an obvious answer in the
> manual that I've missed and if so, please forgive me. (I have noticed that
> most of my questions don't, in fact, have such answers though.)

(Side note: when you have a question and expect to find an answer in the
manual, please explicitely state this question in one sentence and point
at the section that should cover it in the manual, it will help making
it better.)

Thanks!

--
 Bastien