* several column view dynamic block on sparse tree
@ 2012-07-28 17:27 Jacob Riko
From: Jacob Riko @ 2012-07-28 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Jacob Riko

Hi,

I would like to do have several dynamic blocks, that each works for a specific tag and captures a time-summing column view on the sparse tree of the file matching the current tag.

In other words, I would like to write something like this:

#+BEGIN: columnview :id global :width t :skip-empty-rows t :contents "%45ITEM %10Time{:}" :match TAG1
#+END

#+BEGIN: columnview :id global :width t :skip-empty-rows t :contents "%45ITEM %10Time{:}" :match TAG2
#+END

What is the right way to do this in org-mode?
I have been looking in the documentation and FAQ, but I did not get anywhere.

Background:

I am currently designing two university courses that cover roughly the same topics.  I would like to do the topic selection, time estimation (time needed for a topic in class, time to solve an exercise) and scheduling (which topic/exercise/..) to do in which class/week in one org-mode file that has as the main tree a topic tree.
My idea was to have tags to identify topics I would do in a certain course, and a family of tags (like courseA_a, courseA_b) to tag things I would do in a certain lecture.
Now I could (with the above constructs) extract the topics and time-estimates for the two different courses, and even for the single lectures of each course, or the single weeks of assigned homeworks for the different courses.

Is this a reasonable setup?

Any comment or help is appreciated.

Riko

--
Riko Jacob
rjacob@inf.ethz.ch

* Re: several column view dynamic block on sparse tree
@ 2012-08-01 12:31 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-08-01 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jacob Riko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Jacob,

Jacob Riko <rjacob@inf.ethz.ch> writes:

> I would like to do have several dynamic blocks, that each works for a
> specific tag and captures a time-summing column view on the sparse tree of
> the file matching the current tag.

As far as I understand it, this cannot be done.

You can have several columnview captures, provided that you have several
column views defined in different subtrees.

But there is no notion of "a column view relative to a sparse tree".

> Background:
>
> I am currently designing two university courses that cover roughly the same
> topics.  I would like to do the topic selection, time estimation (time
> needed for a topic in class, time to solve an exercise) and scheduling
> (which topic/exercise/..) to do in which class/week in one org-mode file
> that has as the main tree a topic tree.
> My idea was to have tags to identify topics I would do in a certain course,
> and a family of tags (like courseA_a, courseA_b) to tag things I would do
> in a certain lecture.
> Now I could (with the above constructs) extract the topics and
> time-estimates for the two different courses, and even for the single
> lectures of each course, or the single weeks of assigned homeworks for the
> different courses.
>
> Is this a reasonable setup?

I would rather use a different *subtree* for each course, thus allowing
different columnviews for each course.

HTH,

--
 Bastien

* Re: several column view dynamic block on sparse tree
@ 2012-08-01 12:51   ` Jacob Riko
From: Jacob Riko @ 2012-08-01 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Jacob Riko, emacs-orgmode

Hi Bastien,

On 01.08.2012, at 14:31, Bastien wrote:
> Jacob Riko <rjacob@inf.ethz.ch> writes:
>> I would like to do have several dynamic blocks, that each works for a
>> specific tag and captures a time-summing column view on the sparse tree of
>> the file matching the current tag.
>
> As far as I understand it, this cannot be done.
Good, at least I did not overlook the possibility.

> You can have several columnview captures, provided that you have several
> column views defined in different subtrees.
>
> But there is no notion of "a column view relative to a sparse tree".
My current approach is to have a relatively simple elisp function that copies the relevant info (here: time) into a temporary property, based on matching tags.  With this a column view on this temporary property does the job.  It's not quite finished yet, once it's ripe I will ask for comments here.

>> Background:
>>
>> I am currently designing two university courses that cover roughly the same
>> topics.  I would like to do the topic selection, time estimation (time
>> needed for a topic in class, time to solve an exercise) and scheduling
>> (which topic/exercise/..) to do in which class/week in one org-mode file
>> that has as the main tree a topic tree.
>> My idea was to have tags to identify topics I would do in a certain course,
>> and a family of tags (like courseA_a, courseA_b) to tag things I would do
>> in a certain lecture.
>> Now I could (with the above constructs) extract the topics and
>> time-estimates for the two different courses, and even for the single
>> lectures of each course, or the single weeks of assigned homeworks for the
>> different courses.
>>
>> Is this a reasonable setup?
>
> I would rather use a different *subtree* for each course, thus allowing
> different columnviews for each course.
Hm.  How would I then share topics and activities between the different courses?

Cheers,

Riko

--
Riko Jacob
rjacob@inf.ethz.ch
http://www.inf.ethz.ch/personal/rjacob/

Best Regards

Riko Jacob

--

@ 2012-08-01 13:23     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-08-01 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jacob Riko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Jacob Riko <rjacob@inf.ethz.ch> writes:

> My current approach is to have a relatively simple elisp function that
> copies the relevant info (here: time) into a temporary property, based on
> matching tags.  With this a column view on this temporary property does the
> job.  It's not quite finished yet, once it's ripe I will ask for comments
> here.

Okay, let us know.

> Hm.  How would I then share topics and activities between the
> different courses?

I see...

--
 Bastien