* for your amusement
@ 2012-08-02  9:41 Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2012-08-02  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bbdb-info; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

For a while I've had a function for creating textual citations of my
BBDB contacts, that relied on `bbdb-dwim-mail'. I expanded that to make
use of org's link syntax, so that you can insert a BBDB link on the
spot, without having to first visit your *BBDB* buffer and create a link
there. I find this pretty helpful.

If anyone can think of more formatting possibilities, "formats" could be
broken out into a variable.

Incidentally, I'm using `ido-everywhere', and would like to write this
function so that it didn't _rely_ on ido, but made use of ido when
`ido-everywhere' was true. Ie, I'd like to replace the
`ido-completing-read' calls with something more generic that still made
use of ido when it was turned on. Any suggestions?

Eric

(defun cite-bbdb-contact (name)
  (interactive "sName (regexp): ")
  (let ((rec)
	(records (bbdb-search (bbdb-records) name name name nil nil))
	(formats '(("text" . bbdb-dwim-mail)
		   ("orglink" . (lambda (x)
				  (let ((name (bbdb-record-name x)))
				    (format "[[%s][%s]]"
					    (org-make-link "bbdb:" name) name)))))))
    (if (= (length records) 1)
	(setq rec (car records))
      (if (zerop (length records))
	  (error "No matching records")
	(setq rec
	      (let ((int-name
		     (ido-completing-read "Pick one: "
					  (mapcar 'bbdb-record-name records))))
		(car (bbdb-search (bbdb-records) int-name))))))
    (let ((func (cdr (assoc (ido-completing-read
			     "Format: " (mapcar #'car formats)) formats))))
      (insert (funcall func rec)))))

* Re: for your amusement
@ 2014-02-20 10:55 ` Nicolas Richard
From: Nicolas Richard @ 2014-02-20 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: bbdb-info

[fu2 gmane.emacs.bbdb.user]

> Incidentally, I'm using `ido-everywhere', and would like to write this
> function so that it didn't _rely_ on ido, but made use of ido when
> `ido-everywhere' was true. Ie, I'd like to replace the
> `ido-completing-read' calls with something more generic that still made
> use of ido when it was turned on. Any suggestions?

ido-everywhere is only meant for buffer/file (see its docstring). People
who really want ido everywhere should probably use ido-ubiquitous which
sets completing-read-function to ido-completing-read (in fact, a wrapper
around it because it cannot handle all cases that completing-read should
handle).

Hence, my suggestion would be to use completing-read instead of
ido-completing-read in your code, and configure ido-ubiquitous
(available from marmalade and melpa) for controlling what to use.

Related package : ido-hacks (which also enables ido in more places)

I *guess* it'll then also work automagically with icomplete-mode
(shipped with recent emacs) if that is what the user enable instead of
ido-ubiquitous.

--
Nico.

* Re: for your amusement
@ 2014-02-20 11:29   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-02-20 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: bbdb-info

"Nicolas Richard" <theonewiththeevillook@yahoo.fr> writes:

> [fu2 gmane.emacs.bbdb.user]

>> Incidentally, I'm using `ido-everywhere', and would like to write this
>> function so that it didn't _rely_ on ido, but made use of ido when
>> `ido-everywhere' was true. Ie, I'd like to replace the
>> `ido-completing-read' calls with something more generic that still made
>> use of ido when it was turned on. Any suggestions?
>
> ido-everywhere is only meant for buffer/file (see its docstring). People
> who really want ido everywhere should probably use ido-ubiquitous which
> sets completing-read-function to ido-completing-read (in fact, a wrapper
> around it because it cannot handle all cases that completing-read should
> handle).
>
> Hence, my suggestion would be to use completing-read instead of
> ido-completing-read in your code, and configure ido-ubiquitous
> (available from marmalade and melpa) for controlling what to use.
>
> Related package : ido-hacks (which also enables ido in more places)
>
> I *guess* it'll then also work automagically with icomplete-mode
> (shipped with recent emacs) if that is what the user enable instead of
> ido-ubiquitous.

Gosh, where did you guys dig this thread up from? :)

Thanks for the refinements on the original function, and for the tips on
ido related packages in elpa repos -- I hadn't been aware of that. I've
been a tiny bit annoyed with this function ever since I wrote it
(obviously not annoyed enough, since that was years ago), as progressive
narrowing didn't work the way I wanted it to. Kevin, I'll give your
version a whack, and maybe come back with some more refinements in a
bit.

Thanks!

* Re: for your amusement
@ 2014-02-20 12:08     ` Nicolas Richard
From: Nicolas Richard @ 2014-02-20 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: bbdb-info

> Gosh, where did you guys dig this thread up from? :)

Oops, I didn't notice the date of your original message. I answered
because of Kevin's answer.

--
Nico.

* Re: for your amusement
@ 2014-02-20 13:42       ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-02-20 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: bbdb-info

"Nicolas Richard" <theonewiththeevillook@yahoo.fr> writes:

>> Gosh, where did you guys dig this thread up from? :)
>
> Oops, I didn't notice the date of your original message. I answered
> because of Kevin's answer.

If we're still using (and improving) the snippet, it's still a relevant thread!