* Feature Request: Per-file attachment directories
@ 2012-09-24 14:57 Daniel E. Doherty
From: Daniel E. Doherty @ 2012-09-24 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode List

Org Mode-erists:

I like the attachment facility of Org for organizing external files
related to a project, but it seems to lack an obvious feature.

I use a separate org file for each major project, which in my case are
law suits.  I would like to have a custom attachment directory specified
at the top of the file for all attachments related to the project, have
it inherited by all headings, and be able to specify a custom directory
for a heading relative to that file-wide attachment directory.

I have tried this:

#+PROPERTY: :ATTACH_DIR_INHERIT: t
#+PROPERTY: :ATTACH_DIR: ~/cases/Client Name/Case Name/

but it does not work.  When I C-c C-a f to open up the attachment
directory on a headline, it gives me an ID-based directory in the data
directory instead of the file-wide default.

Also, when I C-c C-a s to set a custom attachment directory, it defaults
to my org directory.

Using the data directory would be fine if I only wanted to access files
through Org Mode (and perhaps I should), but I occassionaly have to open
a file from outside emacs (say, a spreadsheet from excel on a Windows
machine) and finding the file in the ID-based heirarchy is tough.

How hard would this be to implement?  With this, I can thing of my
org-mode file as a kind of annotated dired for a project.

Daniel E. Doherty
ded-law@ddoherty.net

* Re: Feature Request: Per-file attachment directories
@ 2012-09-24 20:36 ` Charles
From: Charles @ 2012-09-24 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Daniel,

On 9/24/2012 10:57 AM, Daniel E. Doherty wrote:
> Org Mode-erists:
>
> I like the attachment facility of Org for organizing external files
> related to a project, but it seems to lack an obvious feature.
>
> I use a separate org file for each major project, which in my case are
> law suits.  I would like to have a custom attachment directory specified
> at the top of the file for all attachments related to the project, have
> it inherited by all headings, and be able to specify a custom directory
> for a heading relative to that file-wide attachment directory.
>
> I have tried this:
>
> #+PROPERTY: :ATTACH_DIR_INHERIT: t
> #+PROPERTY: :ATTACH_DIR: ~/cases/Client Name/Case Name/
>
> but it does not work.  When I C-c C-a f to open up the attachment
> directory on a headline, it gives me an ID-based directory in the data
> directory instead of the file-wide default.
>
> Also, when I C-c C-a s to set a custom attachment directory, it defaults
> to my org directory.
>
> Using the data directory would be fine if I only wanted to access files
> through Org Mode (and perhaps I should), but I occassionaly have to open
> a file from outside emacs (say, a spreadsheet from excel on a Windows
> machine) and finding the file in the ID-based heirarchy is tough.
>
> How hard would this be to implement?  With this, I can thing of my
> org-mode file as a kind of annotated dired for a project.
>
> Regards,
The following does not answer you request or question, but like you I
use Org Mode for legal work (I'm a freelance paralegal).

Have you thought about working entirely in Org Mode, including
spreadsheets and then exporting. For instance Jambunathan's odt export.
Or you can copy a region into a your preferred office suite's word
processor, spreadsheet,etc.

Charlie Millar

* Re: Feature Request: Per-file attachment directories
@ 2012-09-24 21:02 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-09-24 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel E. Doherty; +Cc: Org-mode List

Daniel E. Doherty <ded-law@ddoherty.net> wrote:

> Org Mode-erists:
>
> I like the attachment facility of Org for organizing external files
> related to a project, but it seems to lack an obvious feature.
>
> I use a separate org file for each major project, which in my case are
> law suits.  I would like to have a custom attachment directory specified
> at the top of the file for all attachments related to the project, have
> it inherited by all headings, and be able to specify a custom directory
> for a heading relative to that file-wide attachment directory.
>
> I have tried this:
>
> #+PROPERTY: :ATTACH_DIR_INHERIT: t
> #+PROPERTY: :ATTACH_DIR: ~/cases/Client Name/Case Name/
>
> but it does not work.  When I C-c C-a f to open up the attachment
> directory on a headline, it gives me an ID-based directory in the data
> directory instead of the file-wide default.

Try losing the colons around the property names - the following seems to work
OK (modulo the possible problem of filenames starting with . - I had to rename
.emacs -> dot.emacs for it to work):

,----
| #+PROPERTY: ATTACH_DIR ./attachments
|

| * bar														:ATTACH:
|   :PROPERTIES:
|   :Attachments: dot.emacs
|   :END:
|
| Make an attachment.
`----

Nick

@ 2012-09-24 21:15   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-09-24 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel E. Doherty; +Cc: Org-mode List

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> wrote:

> Daniel E. Doherty <ded-law@ddoherty.net> wrote:
>

> > Org Mode-erists:
> >
> > I like the attachment facility of Org for organizing external files
> > related to a project, but it seems to lack an obvious feature.
> >
> > I use a separate org file for each major project, which in my case are
> > law suits.  I would like to have a custom attachment directory specified
> > at the top of the file for all attachments related to the project, have
> > it inherited by all headings, and be able to specify a custom directory
> > for a heading relative to that file-wide attachment directory.
> >
> > I have tried this:
> >
> > #+PROPERTY: :ATTACH_DIR_INHERIT: t
> > #+PROPERTY: :ATTACH_DIR: ~/cases/Client Name/Case Name/

One more thing: I have no idea if spaces in the pathname are going to be
a problem.  A cursory test indicates that it's probably OK:
(org-entry-get nil "ATTACH-DIR") returns the whole pathname, spaces and
everything. But if things break, that's one thing that you might want to
change before giving up.

Nick