* org-cycle hook recenter question
@ 2013-02-24  0:26 Arun Persaud
From: Arun Persaud @ 2013-02-24  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi

when I cycle using <shift>-TAB and I go from all->content, that is just
the headlines, I often don't see the top headlines in the buffer,
although there would be enough space to show them. The top is truncated
and a "..." is shown and I need to do a ctrl-l or scroll upward to see
everything.

I was wondering if it would be possible to automatically recenter when
the cycle goes from all->content?

I tried to change the org-cycle-hook to include a line like:

 ((eq state 'content)  (recenter 1))

and I also tried to add a (recenter-top-bottom) in org.el where
org-cycle-global-status is being set to 'contents. But couldn't get it
to work... what's the correct place to do this and is there a reason not
to recenter by default during this cycle operation?

NB: in org-cycle-hook state is tested for 'content, should it be
'contents? org-cycle-hook and org-pre-cycle-hook list both content and
contents and both show up in org.el, but org-cycle-global-state seems to
be only set to 'contents

Arun

* Re: org-cycle hook recenter question
@ 2013-02-24  1:04 ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2013-02-24  1:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arun Persaud; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Arun,

On 2/23/13, Arun Persaud <apersaud@lbl.gov> wrote:
> when I cycle using <shift>-TAB and I go from all->content, that is just
> the headlines, I often don't see the top headlines in the buffer,
> although there would be enough space to show them. The top is truncated
> and a "..." is shown and I need to do a ctrl-l or scroll upward to see
> everything.

This is the infamous "meaningless ellipses at the top of the buffer" problem.

If you can provide a way to reproduce using emacs -Q, it would really help.

Samuel

The disease DOES progress.  MANY people have died from it.  ANYBODY
can get it.  There is no hope without action.

* Re: org-cycle hook recenter question
@ 2013-02-24  1:19   ` Arun Persaud
From: Arun Persaud @ 2013-02-24  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi

>[...]
> This is the infamous "meaningless ellipses at the top of the buffer" problem.
>
> If you can provide a way to reproduce using emacs -Q, it would really help.

I can reproduce this with "emacs -Q tmp.org". Where tmp.org is one of my
org files where I removed the headers (#+...), so it's just a bunch of
headlines and sublevels, starting with a toplevel headline in the first
line.

I'm running:

C-h C-a

GNU Emacs 24.2.1 (x86_64-suse-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.4.4)
 of 2012-10-10 on build20

org-version 7.8.11

I also have the latest git-version installed, but am not sure how to use
that with -Q?

Let me know if I should try anything else.

@ 2013-02-24  3:06     ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-02-24  3:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Arun,

On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 05:19:29PM -0800, Arun Persaud wrote:
> > This is the infamous "meaningless ellipses at the top of the buffer" problem.
> >
> > If you can provide a way to reproduce using emacs -Q, it would really help.
>
> I can reproduce this with "emacs -Q tmp.org". Where tmp.org is one of my
> org files where I removed the headers (#+...), so it's just a bunch of
> headlines and sublevels, starting with a toplevel headline in the first
> line.

It would really help the devs if you could attach this tmp.org file
(after removing any private information of course).

Cheers,

--
Suvayu

* Re: org-cycle hook recenter question
@ 2013-02-24  3:39       ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2013-02-24  3:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suvayu Ali; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Arun,
>
> On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 05:19:29PM -0800, Arun Persaud wrote:
> > > This is the infamous "meaningless ellipses at the top of the buffer" problem.
> > >
> > > If you can provide a way to reproduce using emacs -Q, it would really help.
> >
> > I can reproduce this with "emacs -Q tmp.org". Where tmp.org is one of my
> > org files where I removed the headers (#+...), so it's just a bunch of
> > headlines and sublevels, starting with a toplevel headline in the first
> > line.
>
> It would really help the devs if you could attach this tmp.org file
> (after removing any private information of course).

... plus the steps necessary to get to the problematic point (I assume
there is no problem just after the file is visited, correct?)

Nick

PS. I didn't go back in the thread to see whether those steps have been
    described already. If they have, please accept my apologies.

* Re: org-cycle hook recenter question
@ 2013-02-24  4:25       ` Arun Persaud
From: Arun Persaud @ 2013-02-24  4:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi

> It would really help the devs if you could attach this tmp.org file
> (after removing any private information of course).

attached is the tmp.org file... I  scrambled the text (apart from
org-key words, etc), and it still shows the problem when I use it with
emacs -Q over here.

Steps to reproduce:

emacs -Q tmp.org
move point to a lower heading, e.g. the "a" in "3a30" (5th line from the
bottom)
cycle with <shift>-TAB (I need to hit shift-tab 4 times to see the "..."
at the top)

HTH

Arun

[-- Attachment #2: tmp.org --]
[-- Type: application/vnd.lotus-organizer, Size: 49780 bytes --]

* Re: org-cycle hook recenter question
@ 2013-02-24 13:23         ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2013-02-24 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Arun Persaud writes:
> Steps to reproduce:
>
> emacs -Q tmp.org
> move point to a lower heading, e.g. the "a" in "3a30" (5th line from the
> bottom)
> cycle with <shift>-TAB (I need to hit shift-tab 4 times to see the "..."
> at the top)

Yes, that is reproducible.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: org-cycle hook recenter question
@ 2013-02-26 15:29   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-02-26 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: Arun Persaud, emacs-orgmode

Hi Samuel and all,

> This is the infamous "meaningless ellipses at the top of the buffer"
> problem.

... which should now be fixed.

Thanks for confirming,

--
 Bastien

* Re: org-cycle hook recenter question
@ 2013-02-26 17:59     ` Arun Persaud
From: Arun Persaud @ 2013-02-26 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 02/26/2013 07:29 AM, Bastien wrote:
> Hi Samuel and all,
>
> Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> This is the infamous "meaningless ellipses at the top of the buffer"
>> problem.
>
> ... which should now be fixed.
>
> Thanks for confirming,

Thanks for fixing it! Just tested the latest git and the problem is gone.

@ 2013-02-26 18:15     ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2013-02-26 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Arun Persaud, emacs-orgmode

On 2/26/13, Bastien <bzg@altern.org> wrote:
>> This is the infamous "meaningless ellipses at the top of the buffer"
>> problem.
>
> ... which should now be fixed.

Thank you very much!

Unfortunately, the bug is still there for the isearch case.  Can't
make an ECM now.

@ 2013-02-26 22:19       ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-02-26 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: Arun Persaud, emacs-orgmode

Hi Samuel,

> On 2/26/13, Bastien <bzg@altern.org> wrote:
>>> This is the infamous "meaningless ellipses at the top of the buffer"
>>> problem.
>>
>> ... which should now be fixed.
>
> Thank you very much!
>
> Unfortunately, the bug is still there for the isearch case.  Can't
> make an ECM now.

I fixed this one too.  Thanks for your patience,

--
 Bastien

* Re: org-cycle hook recenter question
@ 2013-02-26 22:40         ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2013-02-26 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Arun Persaud, emacs-orgmode

On 2/26/13, Bastien <bzg@altern.org> wrote:
> I fixed this one too.  Thanks for your patience,

Greatly appreciated!  I have been trying to fix that for years.

Will test.