* automatically run code blocks when loading an org-mode document
@ 2016-07-22 21:11 grewil3 .
       [not found] ` <4bce9e43b5d240aba4583f721502ac02@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
From: grewil3 . @ 2016-07-22 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi! When I load the document below, I first need to manually evaluate the
code block before I can use the links. I would like the code block to be
automatically evaluated when I load the document, making the links usable
at once.

Is there some clever in-buffer-setting I can use, to specify that I want
the block called on loading, some kind of post-load hook?

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
(defun handy-stuff(arg)
  (message arg))
#+END_SRC

[[elisp:(handy-stuff "foo")][foo]]
[[elisp:(handy-stuff "bar")][bar]]

* Re: automatically run code blocks when loading an org-mode document
@ 2016-07-22 22:11 ` Nick Dokos
       [not found] ` <4bce9e43b5d240aba4583f721502ac02@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
From: Nick Dokos @ 2016-07-22 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"grewil3 ." <grewil@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi! When I load the document below, I first need to manually evaluate the code block before I can use
> the links. I would like the code block to be automatically evaluated when I load the document, making
> the links usable at once.
>
> Is there some clever in-buffer-setting I can use, to specify that I want the block called on loading,
> some kind of post-load hook?
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
> (defun handy-stuff(arg)
>   (message arg))
> #+END_SRC
>
> [[elisp:(handy-stuff "foo")][foo]]
> [[elisp:(handy-stuff "bar")][bar]]

#  -*- find-file-hook: org-babel-execute-buffer -*-
#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
(defun handy-stuff(arg)
 (message arg))
#+END_SRC

[[elisp:(handy-stuff "foo")][foo]]
[[elisp:(handy-stuff "bar")][bar]]

will do that (but you get a question re. "safe" local variables when
you open the file). It also executes *every* code block in the buffer
which you might not want to do (although it does not matter in this
case).

--
Nick

* Re: automatically run code blocks when loading an org-mode document
@ 2016-07-23  4:46   ` grewil3 .
From: grewil3 . @ 2016-07-23  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Sir, you are a great genius - many thanks!

@ 2016-07-24  8:27   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2016-07-24  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Friday, 22 Jul 2016 at 22:11, Nick Dokos wrote:

[...]

> #  -*- find-file-hook: org-babel-execute-buffer -*-
> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
> (defun handy-stuff(arg)
>  (message arg))
> #+END_SRC
>
> [[elisp:(handy-stuff "foo")][foo]]
> [[elisp:(handy-stuff "bar")][bar]]
>
> will do that (but you get a question re. "safe" local variables when
> you open the file). It also executes *every* code block in the buffer
> which you might not want to do (although it does not matter in this
> case).

For the OP, instead of evaluating every code block, it is possible to
evaluate just one code block.  I have:

# Local Variables:
# eval: (esf/execute-startup-block)
# End:

in my org file with

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (defun esf/execute-startup-block ()
    (interactive)
    (org-babel-goto-named-src-block "startup")
    (org-babel-execute-src-block))
#+end_src

and so only a block named startup will be executed.

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.94.1, Org release_8.3.4-1049-g481709

* Re: automatically run code blocks when loading an org-mode document
@ 2016-07-24 19:24     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2016-07-24 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga, Nick Dokos, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org