From: Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr>
To: Ruy Exel <ruyexel@gmail.com>
Cc: emacs-org list <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Confusing org-cycle invocation when cursor is in invisible text
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2017 23:57:26 +0100	[thread overview]

Hello,

Ruy Exel <ruyexel@gmail.com> writes:

> Consider the following simple tree structure
>
> -----
>
> * Trees
> ** Pine
> It is a conifer
> ** Oak
> Place cursor here ->
> It belongs to the genus Quercus
>
> -----
>
> If you place the cursor where indicated (i.e. after the sentence
> "Place cursor here ->" above) and press <Shift-TAB> (org-shifttab),
> your buffer will show
>
> * Trees...
>
> with the cursor placed on the first of the three dots.  If you then go
> to the kitchen to prepare a coffee and come back, you will probably
> not going to remember where the cursor was before the visibility went
> to the OVERVIEW state.  Suppose you then decide to expand your tree by
> pressing <TAB> (org-cycle) without having changed cursor position.  In
> this case your buffer will turn to
>
> * Trees...
> ** Oak
> Place cursor here ->
> It belongs to the genus Quercus
>
> and you might then be led to thinking that your header "Trees" has
> only one sub-header, namely "Oak".  Yes I know that the three dots
> after "Trees" is meant to indicate that there is still some hidden
> text but, given that your intention was to expand "Trees" and that you
> pressed the correct key for this purpose you might (incorrectly) feel
> assured that you achieved the appropriate goal and hence not pay due
> attention to the three dots.
>
> The point I want to raise is that I believe users should not be
> required to remember the position of the cursor when it falls inside
> hiddent text.  Even more so, the state of the system at any given time
> should not depend on said position.
>
> Thus, after the first press of <Shift-TAB>, above, the cursor should
> go by default to the beginning (maybe the end) of the hidden text.

I agree the current situation is not satisfactory, but I also think TAB
or S-TAB should never, ever, move point. For example, I use S-TAB to get
a quick overview of the structure of the document.

I fixed this by making TAB show more when called from an invisible part
of the buffer.

Thank you for the report.

Nicolas Goaziou