* Cannot clone org-mode's git repository
@ 2021-10-03 11:17 Colin Baxter
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Colin Baxter @ 2021-10-03 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I get a strange error when I try to clone org-mode:

redknight@jetstar:~/git$ git clone https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/emacs/org-mode.git
Cloning into 'org-mode'...
fatal: unable to access 'https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/emacs/org-mode.git/': server certificate verification failed. CAfile: /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt CRLfile: none

There seems to be nothing wrong with my git. I can pull other
emacs. auctex, etc. with no problems.

Best wishes,

Colin Baxter.

* Re: Cannot clone org-mode's git repository
@ 2021-10-03 11:25 ` Timothy
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Timothy @ 2021-10-03 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Colin Baxter; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Colin,

> I get a strange error when I try to clone org-mode:

Interesting, I just tried `git clone git://git.sv.gnu.org/emacs/org-mode.git' and
that seemed fine.

All the best,
Timothy

* Re: Cannot clone org-mode's git repository
@ 2021-10-03 11:31 ` Ihor Radchenko
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2021-10-03 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Colin Baxter; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I get a strange error when I try to clone org-mode:

> redknight@jetstar:~/git$ git clone https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/emacs/org-mode.git
> Cloning into 'org-mode'...
> fatal: unable to access 'https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/emacs/org-mode.git/': server certificate verification failed. CAfile: /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt CRLfile: none

It works for me.

Try again later.  savannah may not be stable from time to time,
especially when you try a fresh clone of a large repo.

Best,
Ihor

* Re: Cannot clone org-mode's git repository
@ 2021-10-03 11:54 ` Jens Lechtenboerger
From: Jens Lechtenboerger @ 2021-10-03 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Colin Baxter; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2021-10-03, Colin Baxter wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I get a strange error when I try to clone org-mode:
>
> redknight@jetstar:~/git$ git clone https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/emacs/org-mode.git
> Cloning into 'org-mode'...
> fatal: unable to access 'https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/emacs/org-mode.git/': server certificate verification failed. CAfile: /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt CRLfile: none

Hi there,

I got a similar error in a Docker image (with "CAfile: none"
instead).  A CA certificate was missing.  Eventually, I updated the
entire image (in particular, with a new version of ca-certificates).
Hopefully this helps:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/35821245/github-server-certificate-verification-failed/35824116#35824116

Best wishes
Jens

* Re: Cannot clone org-mode's git repository
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-10-03 14:31 ` Amin Bandali
From: Amin Bandali @ 2021-10-03 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Colin Baxter; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Colin Baxter writes:

> Hello,
>
> I get a strange error when I try to clone org-mode:
>
> redknight@jetstar:~/git$ git clone https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/emacs/org-mode.git
> Cloning into 'org-mode'...
> fatal: unable to access 'https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/emacs/org-mode.git/': server certificate verification failed. CAfile: /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt CRLfile: none

This looks like part of the fallout of the recent expiry of one of
Let's Encrypt's root certificates.  See:
https://savannah.nongnu.org/support/?110546
https://letsencrypt.org/2021/10/01/cert-chaining-help.html

What GNU/Linux distro are you using?  Try updating your packages --
particularly ca-certificates and packages like openssl, gnutls,
libssl, etc. -- and see if it helps.  If not, you can read more on
the topic in recent articles around the web, and apply one of the
suggested workarounds.

> There seems to be nothing wrong with my git. I can pull other
> emacs. auctex, etc. with no problems.

Strange; are you saying that you can clone/fetch from other git
repositories from git.savannah.gnu.org, and only not org-mode.git?

> Best wishes,
>
> Colin Baxter.

Cheers,
-a

P.S. for future potential problems relating to Savannah, please open a
support request at https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/administration
or if you use IRC come by the #savannah channel on the Libera.Chat and
chat with us about potential problems.

--
https://bndl.org

* Re: Cannot clone org-mode's git repository
@ 2021-10-03 16:24   ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2021-10-03 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Colin Baxter

Aloha,

Amin Bandali <bandali@gnu.org> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Colin Baxter writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I get a strange error when I try to clone org-mode:
>>
>> redknight@jetstar:~/git$ git clone
>> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/emacs/org-mode.git
>> Cloning into 'org-mode'...
>> fatal: unable to access
>> 'https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/emacs/org-mode.git/': server
>> certificate verification failed. CAfile:
>> /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt CRLfile: none
>
> This looks like part of the fallout of the recent expiry of one
> of
> Let's Encrypt's root certificates.  See:
> https://savannah.nongnu.org/support/?110546
> https://letsencrypt.org/2021/10/01/cert-chaining-help.html
>
> What GNU/Linux distro are you using?  Try updating your packages
> --
> particularly ca-certificates and packages like openssl, gnutls,
> libssl, etc. -- and see if it helps.  If not, you can read more
> on
> the topic in recent articles around the web, and apply one of
> the
> suggested workarounds.

Updating ca-certificates worked for me on Ubuntu.

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
https://tsdye.online/tsdye

* Re: Cannot clone org-mode's git repository
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-10-03 16:47 ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2021-10-03 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

    > Hello, I get a strange error when I try to clone org-mode:

    > redknight@jetstar:~/git$ git clone
    > https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/emacs/org-mode.git Cloning into
    > 'org-mode'...  fatal: unable to access
    > 'https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/emacs/org-mode.git/': server
    > certificate verification failed. CAfile:
    > /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt CRLfile: none

    > There seems to be nothing wrong with my git. I can pull other
    > emacs. auctex, etc. with no problems.

I tried again a couple of hours later and succeeded in cloning
org-mode. I have no idea what the error was and how it occurred. It
might have had something to do with the fact I was attempting to clone
in a remote host to which I had ssh'd, but that's just a guess.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to offer suggestions, which I have
made notes in case it happens again.

Sorry Timothy, a copy of this post emailed to you will probably get
trashed by google. Google seems to regard yandex.com as the source of all
evil and will not accept email from that host - or more accurately from
my email a/c at that host.

Thanks again.

Best wishes,

Colin Baxter.