* lesser-than as open paren
@ 2023-01-31 12:26 Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2023-01-31 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

when taking notes in plain org-mode, run into trouble for instance with
this scala-snippet:

   def scalaFiles =
     for {
     file <- filesHere
     if file.getName.endsWith(".scala")
   } yield file

With cursor on lesser-than sign, get a type-mismatch.

The culprit resides in org.el:

   (modify-syntax-entry ?< "(>")
   (modify-syntax-entry ?> ")<")

Maybe use this modification only when a special case requires it?

Thanks,

Andreas

* Re: lesser-than as open paren
@ 2023-01-31 18:17 ` Fraga, Eric
From: Fraga, Eric @ 2023-01-31 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Röhler; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Tuesday, 31 Jan 2023 at 13:26, Andreas Röhler wrote:
> when taking notes in plain org-mode, run into trouble for instance with
> this scala-snippet:

[...]

> With cursor on lesser-than sign, get a type-mismatch.

This is why I have

(modify-syntax-entry ?< ".")
(modify-syntax-entry ?> ".")

in my org mode settings.

--
: Eric S Fraga, with org release_9.6.1-199-g7ad779 in Emacs 30.0.50

* Re: lesser-than as open paren
@ 2023-01-31 20:52 ` Tim Cross
From: Tim Cross @ 2023-01-31 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Andreas Röhler <andreas.roehler@easy-emacs.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> when taking notes in plain org-mode, run into trouble for instance with this
> scala-snippet:
>
>   def scalaFiles =
>     for {
>     file <- filesHere
>     if file.getName.endsWith(".scala")
>   } yield file
>
> With cursor on lesser-than sign, get a type-mismatch.
>
> The culprit resides in org.el:
>
>   (modify-syntax-entry ?< "(>")
>   (modify-syntax-entry ?> ")<")
>
> Maybe use this modification only when a special case requires it?

when you say "when taking notes in plain org-mode" do you mean the above
code snippet is just in your org file and not inside either a source or
example block?

If so, I think that would be expected behaviour. Code snippets really
need to be either in an example block or preferably a source code block.