* turn headline(s) into plain list?
@ 2011-05-06 18:39 Gary Oberbrunner
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Gary Oberbrunner @ 2011-05-06 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there any way to turn a headline (and its subtree) into a plain
list (and nested list items)?  Or better yet, turn all level N and
below headlines into plain lists at the corresponding level?

--
-- Gary

* Re: turn headline(s) into plain list?
@ 2011-05-06 18:55 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2011-05-06 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gary Oberbrunner <garyo@oberbrunner.com> writes:

> Is there any way to turn a headline (and its subtree) into a plain
> list (and nested list items)?  Or better yet, turn all level N and
> below headlines into plain lists at the corresponding level?

Hi Gary,

Just select the subtree of headings you want to convert and hit C-c -

In the example below I select lines 2-17 (Subheading 1 to the line
before All done)

* Lists
** This is a heading
*** Subheading 1
*** Subheading 2
[2011-05-06 Fri 14:50]
*** Subheading3
[2011-05-06 Fri 14:51]
**** Three.1
[2011-05-06 Fri 14:51]
**** Three.2
[2011-05-06 Fri 14:51]
*** Four
[2011-05-06 Fri 14:51]
**** Five
[2011-05-06 Fri 14:51]
***** Six
[2011-05-06 Fri 14:51]
* All done
[2011-05-06 Fri 14:51]

and then C-c - gives me this:

* Lists
** This is a heading
    - Subheading 1
    - Subheading 2
      [2011-05-06 Fri 14:50]
    - Subheading3
      [2011-05-06 Fri 14:51]
      - Three.1
        [2011-05-06 Fri 14:51]
      - Three.2
        [2011-05-06 Fri 14:51]
    - Four
      [2011-05-06 Fri 14:51]
      - Five
        [2011-05-06 Fri 14:51]
        - Six
          [2011-05-06 Fri 14:51]
* All done
[2011-05-06 Fri 14:51]

Bernt

* Re: turn headline(s) into plain list?
@ 2011-05-06 18:57 ` Juan Pechiar
From: Juan Pechiar @ 2011-05-06 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

'C-c -' may help to some extent:

  Cycle the entire list level through the different itemize/enumerate
  bullets (‘-’, ‘+’, ‘*’, ‘1.’, ‘1)’) or a subset of them, depending on
  org-plain-list-ordered- item-terminator, the type of list, and its
  position17. With a numeric prefix argument N, select the Nth bullet
  from this list. If there is an active region when calling this,
  selected text will be changed into an item. With a prefix argument,
  all lines will be converted to list items. If the first line already
  was a list item, any item marker will be removed from the list.
  Finally, even without an active region, a normal line will be
  converted into a list item.

It will convert headings into nested list items, but not the other
way.

Regards,
.j.

@ 2011-05-06 19:14   ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2011-05-06 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Juan Pechiar <juan@pechiar.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> 'C-c -' may help to some extent:
>
>   Cycle the entire list level through the different itemize/enumerate
>   bullets (‘-’, ‘+’, ‘*’, ‘1.’, ‘1)’) or a subset of them, depending on
>   org-plain-list-ordered- item-terminator, the type of list, and its
>   position17. With a numeric prefix argument N, select the Nth bullet
>   from this list. If there is an active region when calling this,
>   selected text will be changed into an item. With a prefix argument,
>   all lines will be converted to list items. If the first line already
>   was a list item, any item marker will be removed from the list.
>   Finally, even without an active region, a normal line will be
>   converted into a list item.
>
> It will convert headings into nested list items, but not the other
> way.

C-c * converts the other way.

-Bernt

@ 2011-05-07 14:17 ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2011-05-07 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gary Oberbrunner <garyo@oberbrunner.com> writes:

> Is there any way to turn a headline (and its subtree) into a plain
> list (and nested list items)?  Or better yet, turn all level N and
> below headlines into plain lists at the corresponding level?

For the latter, you could use org-map-entries:

(defun org-convert-low-levels-to-list (level)
  "Convert headings in file equal or greater than LEVEL to lists.
A numeric prefix argument can be used to set the level. The
default level is three"
  (interactive "P")
  (let ((level (number-to-string (or level 3))))
    (org-map-entries 'org-ctrl-c-minus
		     (concat "+LEVEL>=" level) 'file)))

There is also an FAQ that covers what the other replies have said.

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#convert-plain-lists-to-headlines

Best,
Matt

* Re: turn headline(s) into plain list?
@ 2011-05-07 14:20   ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2011-05-07 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> writes:

> Gary Oberbrunner <garyo@oberbrunner.com> writes:
>
>> Is there any way to turn a headline (and its subtree) into a plain
>> list (and nested list items)?  Or better yet, turn all level N and
>> below headlines into plain lists at the corresponding level?
>
> For the latter, you could use org-map-entries:
>
> (defun org-convert-low-levels-to-list (level)
>   "Convert headings in file equal or greater than LEVEL to lists.
> A numeric prefix argument can be used to set the level. The
> default level is three"
>   (interactive "P")
>   (let ((level (number-to-string (or level 3))))
>     (org-map-entries 'org-ctrl-c-minus
> 		     (concat "+LEVEL>=" level) 'file)))

As an example, the function above converts the following:

* One
** Two
*** Three
**** Four