* org-wikinodes - is there a limit of processable files/nodes
@ 2012-09-20 22:54 Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2012-09-20 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Hi list,

I'm trying to setup org-wikinodes, and I have a directory with hundres of
org files and each of them has dozens+ nodes. It looks as if org-wikinode
can't build the wiki cache data-structure for that many files/nodes,
because it never finds the headlines. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance,

- Marcelo.

* Re: org-wikinodes - is there a limit of processable files/nodes
@ 2012-09-21  8:44 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-09-21  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: Org Mode

Hi Marcelo,

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm trying to setup org-wikinodes, and I have a directory with
> hundres of org files and each of them has dozens+ nodes. It looks as
> if org-wikinode can't build the wiki cache data-structure for that
> many files/nodes, because it never finds the headlines. Am I missing
> something?

Can you narrow down the problem and describe a simple way to reproduce
it?

 Bastien

* Re: org-wikinodes - is there a limit of processable files/nodes
@ 2012-09-21 16:58   ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2012-09-21 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Org Mode

Hi Bastien,

Can you narrow down the problem and describe a simple way to reproduce
> it?

Sure, sorry if I wasn't specific enough.

I have a specific wiki/ directory that has ~500 org files. There are an
average of ~20 org headlines per file.

I'm trying to take advantage of org-wikinodes' camelcase linking feature.
So, say I have a headlines like this in one of those 500 org files:

* MyPIMSystem

And in another org file in the same wiki/ directory I write:

"... as I do in MyPIMSystem ..."

The MyPIMSystem gets converted to a wikinodes link, and when I click it,
considering the wiki cache is nil, wikinodes will start searching the
current directory's org files for the a file with MyPIMSystem headline
(this takes around ~10secs), and even though there exists the org file with
the "MyPIMSystem" headline in the wiki/ directory, wikinodes just doesn't
find it, and shows the prompt asking me if I want to create it.

I must also say that I modified the org-wikinodes-which-file function
slightly from this:

> (defun org-wikinodes-which-file (target &optional directory)
>   "Return the file for wiki headline TARGET DIRECTORY.
> If there is no such wiki target, return nil."
>   (setq directory (expand-file-name (or directory default-directory)))
>   (unless (assoc directory org-wikinodes-directory-targets-cache)
>     (push (cons directory (org-wikinodes-get-links-for-directory
> directory))
>   org-wikinodes-directory-targets-cache))
>   (cdr (assoc target (cdr (assoc directory
>  org-wikinodes-directory-targets-cache)))))

To this:

(defun org-wikinodes-which-file (target &optional directory)
>   "Return the file for wiki headline TARGET DIRECTORY.
> If there is no such wiki target, return nil."
>   (setq directory (expand-file-name "/Users/myself/org/wiki")) ;
> <============ here
>   (unless (assoc directory org-wikinodes-directory-targets-cache)
>     (push (cons directory (org-wikinodes-get-links-for-directory
> directory))
>   org-wikinodes-directory-targets-cache))
>   (cdr (assoc target (cdr (assoc directory
>  org-wikinodes-directory-targets-cache)))))

Why? Because I have files in other directory levels that I still want to
link to the wiki, so basically I want to force all wikilinks to point to
nodes in org files that reside in this wiki/ directory only. But this is a
simple change, I don't think it would cause any kind of issues.

Also, after I try clicking in a wikilink, and the cache is nil, just after
this function tries to build the cache, and when I evaluate the
" org-wikinodes-directory-targets-cache" var, instead of the expected
data-structure containing filenames and nodes, I get this:

(("/Users/myself/wiki"))

I've tested with the unmodified "org-wikinodes-which-file" func + a
"org-wikinodes-scope" setting = directory, and I get the same thing. I
looks as if the amount of files and data is the problem.

Thanks in advance,

- Marcelo.

@ 2012-09-22  7:21     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-09-22  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: Org Mode

Hi Marcelo,

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> writes:

> Why? Because I have files in other directory levels that I still want
> to link to the wiki, so basically I want to force all wikilinks to
> point to nodes in org files that reside in this wiki/ directory only.

I just pushed some changes in org-wikinodes.el, maybe they will solve
your problem.  Let me know.

 Bastien

* Re: org-wikinodes - is there a limit of processable files/nodes
@ 2012-09-22 14:19       ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2012-09-22 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Org Mode

Hi Bastien,

Working now, thanks a lot! What was that change about?

One last question:

How can I have a wikilink in a headline? When I write a CamelCased link in
an org headline, it doesn't get converted to a link automatically, probably
because headlines are the nodes and that might cause a deadlock loop? Is
there a way to force a wikilink (to another wikinode) in a headline? (I've
tried enclosing in [[]] but it doesn't seem to create a wikinode link, only
a regular org link).

Also, a suggestion: I think an additional value for the scope setting could
be created called "list of directories", where you could force a specific
directory(ies) where you keep your wiki org files. Right now, I'm doing
that by modifying the function as I stated in the previous message. I might
do that if I have the time, but I fear breaking something else, as my elisp
skills are still quite basic.

Cheers,

Marcelo.

@ 2012-09-22 16:35         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-09-22 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: Org Mode

Hi Marcelo,

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> writes:

> How can I have a wikilink in a headline?

I think you cannot, as the goal of a wikilink is to jump to a headline.

> When I write a CamelCased
> link in an org headline, it doesn't get converted to a link
> automatically, probably because headlines are the nodes and that
> might cause a deadlock loop?

Indeed.

> Is there a way to force a wikilink (to
> another wikinode) in a headline? (I've tried enclosing in [[]] but it
> doesn't seem to create a wikinode link, only a regular org link).

I don't know if Carsten is using org-wikinodes.el (?) but I'm pretty
sure you can start hacking it.  A nice playground for discovering both
lisp and Org!

> Also, a suggestion: I think an additional value for the scope setting
> could be created called "list of directories", where you could force
> a specific directory(ies) where you keep your wiki org files. Right
> now, I'm doing that by modifying the function as I stated in the
> breaking something else, as my elisp skills are still quite basic.

A nice little feature to add, it should not be difficult.

Let us know how it goes!

--
 Bastien