* Exporting LaTeX source blocks with HTML backend
@ 2014-03-03 17:43 Xavier Garrido
From: Xavier Garrido @ 2014-03-03 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Dear Orgers,

I am facing one issue when I am exporting from orgmode to html. I like
to write LaTeX code within #+BEGIN_SRC latex ... #+END_SRC block mainly
to take benefit/advantage of the syntax highlighting (debugging long
LaTeX equations is "simpler"). The problem is that these code blocks are
not exported at all by the html export backend whereas the LaTeX backend
does. Of course, an easy solution will be to remove the
#+BEGIN_SRC/#+END_SRC lines and both latex and html exporters will just
do it right. But, as I said, syntax highlighting is really useful and I
can't imagine living without it.

I have tried different things from adding a "before parsing hook" which
delete lines containing #+BEGIN_SRC/#+END_SRC (then I get problem with
other source block such as 'sh' that I want to be exported to 'pre' code
in html) to trying to play with filters (so far, I do not get any
getting LaTeX source block when exporting to html).

As a summary I would like to do the following

#+BEGIN_SRC org
* Test LaTeX block
   Syntax highlighting is always nice but the following block is not
exported in html. An option will be to remove the #+BEGIN_SRC
latex/#+END_SRC lines

   #+BEGIN_SRC latex
     \begin{align*}
     x&=x\\
     y&=y
     \end{align*}
   #+END_SRC

* Test shell block
   Here, I would like to keep the following source block as it is to get
it exported properly by html backend (namely as <pre> code)
   #+BEGIN_SRC sh
     uname -a
   #+END_SRC
#+END_SRC

Thanks for your help,
Xavier

* Re: Exporting LaTeX source blocks with HTML backend
@ 2014-03-03 19:24 ` Richard Lawrence
From: Richard Lawrence @ 2014-03-03 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Xavier Garrido

Hi Xavier,

Xavier Garrido <xavier.garrido@gmail.com> writes:

> I am facing one issue when I am exporting from orgmode to html. I like
> to write LaTeX code within #+BEGIN_SRC latex ... #+END_SRC block mainly
> to take benefit/advantage of the syntax highlighting (debugging long
> LaTeX equations is "simpler"). The problem is that these code blocks are
> not exported at all by the html export backend whereas the LaTeX backend
> does. Of course, an easy solution will be to remove the
> #+BEGIN_SRC/#+END_SRC lines and both latex and html exporters will just
> do it right. But, as I said, syntax highlighting is really useful and I
> can't imagine living without it.

I don't quite understand what you're looking for here.  Are you wanting
these blocks to be exported as source code?  Or do you want them to be
interpreted somehow?

Removing the BEGIN_SRC/END_SRC lines will just result in raw LaTeX code
getting dumped into your HTML, and a browser won't know what to do with
that (at least not without help...are you wanting MathJax to interpret
it?).

> As a summary I would like to do the following
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC org
> * Test LaTeX block
>    Syntax highlighting is always nice but the following block is not
> exported in html. An option will be to remove the #+BEGIN_SRC
> latex/#+END_SRC lines
>
>    #+BEGIN_SRC latex
>      \begin{align*}
>      x&=x\\
>      y&=y
>      \end{align*}
>    #+END_SRC

When I export this using the HTML exporter, the LaTeX code is wrapped in
a <div> with class="org-src-container", and the actual code appears
inside a <pre> tag.  Is this the behavior you see?  Is that not what you
want?

If you are instead looking to get something in your HTML output that
looks like the result of compiling the LaTeX code, I am not exactly sure
how to accomplish this, but it looks like there is some useful
information in the section "Math formatting in HTML export" in the Org
manual about either using MathJax or preprocessing LaTeX code into
images with dvipng.

Hope that helps,
Richard

(If possible, please encrypt your reply to me using my PGP key:
Key ID: CF6FA646
Fingerprint: 9969 43E1 CF6F A646.
See http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~rwl/encryption.html for more information.)

* Re: Exporting LaTeX source blocks with HTML backend
@ 2014-03-03 19:39   ` Xavier Garrido
From: Xavier Garrido @ 2014-03-03 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Lawrence; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi Richard,

Le 03/03/2014 20:24, Richard Lawrence a écrit :
>> I am facing one issue when I am exporting from orgmode to html. I like
>> to write LaTeX code within #+BEGIN_SRC latex ... #+END_SRC block mainly
>> to take benefit/advantage of the syntax highlighting (debugging long
>> LaTeX equations is "simpler"). The problem is that these code blocks are
>> not exported at all by the html export backend whereas the LaTeX backend
>> does. Of course, an easy solution will be to remove the
>> #+BEGIN_SRC/#+END_SRC lines and both latex and html exporters will just
>> do it right. But, as I said, syntax highlighting is really useful and I
>> can't imagine living without it.
> I don't quite understand what you're looking for here.  Are you wanting
> these blocks to be exported as source code?  Or do you want them to be
> interpreted somehow?

I would like to get them interpreted as raw LaTeX code in such way
MathJax can reinterpret them as you said.

> Removing the BEGIN_SRC/END_SRC lines will just result in raw LaTeX code
> getting dumped into your HTML, and a browser won't know what to do with
> that (at least not without help...are you wanting MathJax to interpret
> it?).
>
>> As a summary I would like to do the following
>>
>> #+BEGIN_SRC org
>> * Test LaTeX block
>>     Syntax highlighting is always nice but the following block is not
>> exported in html. An option will be to remove the #+BEGIN_SRC
>> latex/#+END_SRC lines
>>
>>     #+BEGIN_SRC latex
>>       \begin{align*}
>>       x&=x\\
>>       y&=y
>>       \end{align*}
>>     #+END_SRC
> When I export this using the HTML exporter, the LaTeX code is wrapped in
> a <div> with class="org-src-container", and the actual code appears
> inside a <pre> tag.  Is this the behavior you see?  Is that not what you
> want?
In my case, the code is not even wrapped into org-src-container class,
it just does not appear at all.

> If you are instead looking to get something in your HTML output that
> looks like the result of compiling the LaTeX code, I am not exactly sure
> how to accomplish this, but it looks like there is some useful
> information in the section "Math formatting in HTML export" in the Org
> manual about either using MathJax or preprocessing LaTeX code into
> images with dvipng.

Actually, I just want to get the LaTeX code translated into raw code. As
I wrote, there is one solution, pretty easy to implement and may be used
by most of the org users : write raw LaTeX inside org document and use
MathJax for example, to interpret it in a convenient way. It is going to
work for both exporter html and latex. The point here is that using raw
LaTeX code makes me lose the syntax highlighting which is really useful
for debugging long LaTeX equation.

Cheers,
Xavier

@ 2014-03-03 19:55     ` Ista Zahn
From: Ista Zahn @ 2014-03-03 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xavier Garrido; +Cc: Richard Lawrence, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi Xavier,

I think

#+begin_src latex :results drawer :exports results
  \begin{align*}
  x&=x\\
  y&=y
  \end{align*}
#+end_src

will give both syntax highlighting (in the code block) as well as
properly displayed equations in both latex and html export.

Best,
Ista

@ 2014-03-03 20:54     ` Richard Lawrence
From: Richard Lawrence @ 2014-03-03 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xavier Garrido; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Xavier Garrido <xavier.garrido@gmail.com> writes:

>>>     #+BEGIN_SRC latex
>>>       \begin{align*}
>>>       x&=x\\
>>>       y&=y
>>>       \end{align*}
>>>     #+END_SRC

>> When I export this using the HTML exporter, the LaTeX code is wrapped in
>> a <div> with class="org-src-container", and the actual code appears
>> inside a <pre> tag.  Is this the behavior you see?  Is that not what you
>> want?

> In my case, the code is not even wrapped into org-src-container class,
> it just does not appear at all.

Hmm.  If Ista's solution doesn't work for you, you may want to look into
why this is happening.  Maybe you have a variable or option set
somewhere that is suppressing export of these blocks for some reason.  I
am using the "maint" version of the exporter (8.2.5h) and I don't use
HTML export much, so I am pretty sure what I see is the current default
behavior.

Best,

@ 2014-03-03 23:31       ` Xavier Garrido
From: Xavier Garrido @ 2014-03-03 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ista Zahn, Xavier Garrido; +Cc: Richard Lawrence, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi Ista,

Le 03/03/2014 20:55, Ista Zahn a écrit :
> Hi Xavier,
>
> I think
>
> #+begin_src latex :results drawer :exports results
>    \begin{align*}
>    x&=x\\
>    y&=y
>    \end{align*}
> #+end_src
>
> will give both syntax highlighting (in the code block) as well as
> properly displayed equations in both latex and html export.

This one works. Thanks for your help.

Xavier

@ 2014-03-03 23:33       ` Xavier Garrido
From: Xavier Garrido @ 2014-03-03 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Lawrence, Xavier Garrido; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Le 03/03/2014 21:54, Richard Lawrence a écrit :

>>> When I export this using the HTML exporter, the LaTeX code is wrapped in
>>> a <div> with class="org-src-container", and the actual code appears
>>> inside a <pre> tag.  Is this the behavior you see?  Is that not what you
>>> want?
>
>> In my case, the code is not even wrapped into org-src-container class,
>> it just does not appear at all.
>
> Hmm.  If Ista's solution doesn't work for you, you may want to look into
> why this is happening.  Maybe you have a variable or option set
> somewhere that is suppressing export of these blocks for some reason.  I
> am using the "maint" version of the exporter (8.2.5h) and I don't use
> HTML export much, so I am pretty sure what I see is the current default
> behavior.

The non export is due to this setup

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
   (org-babel-do-load-languages
    'org-babel-load-languages
    '((emacs-lisp . t)
      (latex . t)))
#+END_SRC

Cheers,
Xavier

@ 2014-03-07 21:37       ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2014-03-07 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ista Zahn; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Ista Zahn <istazahn@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Xavier,
>
> I think
>
> #+begin_src latex :results drawer :exports results
>   \begin{align*}
>   x&=x\\
>   y&=y
>   \end{align*}
> #+end_src
>
> will give both syntax highlighting (in the code block) as well as
> properly displayed equations in both latex and html export.

This doesn't work for me in HTML.  I get the code exported as is, not
the actual equations.  You must have some other configuration settings
that allow for this?

For this to work for me, I have to invoke conditional entries for
:results and for :exports to create an image for HTML.  I would love to
hear what HTML and what Latex you get generated with the above.

thanks,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 24.3.50.2, Org release_8.2.5h-683-ga85683

* Re: Exporting LaTeX source blocks with HTML backend
@ 2014-03-08 11:39         ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2014-03-08 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xavier Garrido; +Cc: Richard Lawrence, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Xavier Garrido <xavier.garrido@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

> The non export is due to this setup
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
>    (org-babel-do-load-languages
>     'org-babel-load-languages
>     '((emacs-lisp . t)
>       (latex . t)))
> #+END_SRC

Actually, this wasn't enough for me (I already had both of these
enabled).  The problem, in my case, was that I had org-html-with-latex
set to t (the default, I guess) which relies on mathjax.  If you want an
image created, this needs to be set to either 'dvipng or 'imagemagick or
via tex: option in the org file.

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 24.3.50.2, Org release_8.2.5h-683-ga85683