* Error Embedding SQL Source from code block into R Source of Another (noweb)
@ 2014-09-30  0:39 Eric Brown
From: Eric Brown @ 2014-09-30  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear List:

It is possible to embed SQL code as a string to be evaluated in R. I am
interested in formatting the SQL code in its own source code block, with
its own syntax highlighting and editing mode (C-c ').

The first time I run the code, I am prompted for R starting directory,
but I get an error:

---
load ESSR: + + + Error: unexpected string constant in:
source('~/.emacs.d/elpa/ess-20140913.1153/etc/ESSR/R/.load.R',
local=TRUE) #define load.ESSR
load.ESSR('"
---

and the console locks.  I can C-g to get out of it, and then
re-evaluate, and the code prints what I expect -- the text of the SQL
command.

Is this the right way to go about this?  Have I discovered a bug, or
perhaps accidentally a wrong way to get the right answer?

Is this an ESS problem, and not an orgmode problem, per se?  My ESS
normally starts up fine, so I thought I would ask on this list first.

A minimal example (first failing, second evaluation giving expected
output) follows.

Best regards,

Eric

Debian GNU/Linux (jessie)
Emacs 24.3.93
Org current from org repo
ESS from MELPA (ca. 14.09)
R 3.1.1 compiled from source

From: Rainer M Krug @ 2014-09-30  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Brown; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Eric Brown <brown@fastmail.fm> writes:

> Dear List:
>
> It is possible to embed SQL code as a string to be evaluated in R. I am
> interested in formatting the SQL code in its own source code block, with
> its own syntax highlighting and editing mode (C-c ').

This sounds very interesting, and I would be interested in doing thia as
well. Up to now, I was writing the sql statements in R, which is a pain
(paste, paste0, ...). But editing them in org and passing them to an R
source block as a variable sounds interestin, but I don't think this
will work. What might work is using noweb expansion, but I never used
it.

Check out the worg [1] "Simple Literate Programming Example (Noweb
syntax)"

From the page:

,----
| In the Org-mode file:
|
| #+name: hello-world-prefix
| #+begin_src sh :exports none
|   echo "/-----------------------------------------------------------\\"
| #+end_src
| HTML export of code: In the Org-mode file
|
| #+name: hello-world-postfix #+begin_src sh :exports none echo
| "\-----------------------------------------------------------/"
| #+end_src
|
| HTML export of code: The third code block does have a tangle header
| argument indicating the name of the file to which the tangled source
| code will be written. It also has Noweb style references to the two
| previous code blocks. These references will be expanded during
| tangling to include them in the output file as well.
|
| In the Org-mode file:
|
| #+name: hello-world
| #+begin_src sh :tangle hello :exports none :noweb yes
|   <<hello-world-prefix>>
|   echo "|                       hello world                         |"
|   <<hello-world-postfix>>
| #+end_src
|
| HTML export of code: Calling org-babel-tangle will result in the following
| shell source code being written to the hello.sh file:
|
| #!/usr/bin/env sh
|
| # [[file:~/org/temp/index.org::*Noweb%20test][hello-world]]
|
| echo "/-----------------------------------------------------------\\"
| echo "|                       hello world                         |"
| echo "\-----------------------------------------------------------/"
| # hello-world ends here
|
| In addition, the following syntax can be used to insert the results of
| evaluating a code block, in this case one named example-block.
|
| # <<example-block()>>
`----

I guess this should work - and I will try it out - learned something.

Thanks for the question,

Rainer

> The first time I run the code, I am prompted for R starting directory,
> but I get an error:
>
> ---
> load ESSR: + + + Error: unexpected string constant in:
> source('~/.emacs.d/elpa/ess-20140913.1153/etc/ESSR/R/.load.R',
> local=TRUE) #define load.ESSR
> load.ESSR('"
> ---
>
> and the console locks.  I can C-g to get out of it, and then
> re-evaluate, and the code prints what I expect -- the text of the SQL
> command.
>
> Is this the right way to go about this?  Have I discovered a bug, or
> perhaps accidentally a wrong way to get the right answer?
>
> Is this an ESS problem, and not an orgmode problem, per se?  My ESS
> normally starts up fine, so I thought I would ask on this list first.
>
> A minimal example (first failing, second evaluation giving expected
> output) follows.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Eric
>
> Debian GNU/Linux (jessie)
> Emacs 24.3.93
> Org current from org repo
> ESS from MELPA (ca. 14.09)
> R 3.1.1 compiled from source

Footnotes:
[1]  http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/intro.html

--
Rainer M. Krug
email: Rainer<at>krugs<dot>de

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 494 bytes --]

* Re: Error Embedding SQL Source from code block into R Source of Another (noweb)
@ 2014-09-30 13:36   ` Grant Rettke
From: Grant Rettke @ 2014-09-30 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer M Krug; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Eric Brown

On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 3:05 AM, Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> wrote:
> Eric Brown <brown@fastmail.fm> writes:

Like Rainier mentioned you might want to use [noweb] to tangle both
for output tangling and execution. My system is set up to tangle for
both eg:

This
## ✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂
#+name: query
#+begin_src sql
select
    *
from
    table
where
    x > 10
#+end_src

#+begin_src R :tangle output.R
input <- '
    «query»
'
#+end_src
## ✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂
produces this
## ✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂
input <- '
    select
        *
    from
        table
    where
        x > 10
'
## ✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂
and

this
## ✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂
#+name: msg
#+begin_src sql
Hello, world.
#+end_src

#+begin_src R :eval yes
print("«msg»")
#+end_src

#+NAME:
#+begin_example
[1] "Hello, world."
#+end_example
## ✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂

produces this

## ✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂
╭────
│ Hello, world.
╰────

╭────
│ print("«msg»")
╰────

╭────
│ [1] "Hello, world."
╰────
## ✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂

http://orgmode.org/manual/noweb.html#noweb

* Re: Error Embedding SQL Source from code block into R Source of Another (noweb)
@ 2014-09-30 14:32     ` Eric Brown
From: Eric Brown @ 2014-09-30 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Rettke; +Cc: Rainer M Krug, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Thanks Rainer and Grant for your suggestions.  A couple of things:

1) My current code does what I want, the second time. Its advantage is
that everything is kept inside of one .org file.  Also, I am wondering
if it is an R/ESS issue.

2) Grant, I tried your code, but there seem to be some missing headers.
Do you have a complete minimal example that exhibits the behavior that
you have demonstrated?

* Re: Error Embedding SQL Source from code block into R Source of Another (noweb)
@ 2014-09-30 15:08 ` Charles Berry
From: Charles Berry @ 2014-09-30 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Eric Brown <brown <at> fastmail.fm> writes:

> Dear List:
>
> It is possible to embed SQL code as a string to be evaluated in R. I am
> interested in formatting the SQL code in its own source code block, with
> its own syntax highlighting and editing mode (C-c ').
>
> The first time I run the code, I am prompted for R starting directory,
> but I get an error:
>
> ---
> load ESSR: + + + Error: unexpected string constant in:
> source('~/.emacs.d/elpa/ess-20140913.1153/etc/ESSR/R/.load.R',
> local=TRUE) #define load.ESSR
> load.ESSR('"
> ---
>
> and the console locks.  I can C-g to get out of it, and then
> re-evaluate, and the code prints what I expect -- the text of the SQL
> command.

[rest deleted]

Hmmm. Maybe the bug that was fixed by commit

 0fd29a5ee7d14c3695b22998196373b9a3637413

about two weeks back? Make sure ob-R.el is up to date and compiled (or
that ob-R.elc is deleted).

Anyway, your code works as expected for me - first time.

---

FWIW, I prefer to use :var headers to import strings, but it takes some
setup:

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
  (defun grab-src (name)
    (save-excursion
      (org-babel-goto-named-src-block name)
      (nth 1 (org-babel-get-src-block-info 'light))))
#+END_SRC

#+BEGIN_SRC R :var y=(grab-src "sqlsource") :results output :exports both
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
: [1] "select \n  * \nfrom \n  t \nlimit \n  10"

HTH,

Chuck

* Re: Error Embedding SQL Source from code block into R Source of Another (noweb)
@ 2014-09-30 17:02   ` Eric Brown
From: Eric Brown @ 2014-09-30 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Berry; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Charles Berry <ccberry@ucsd.edu> writes:

> Hmmm. Maybe the bug that was fixed by commit
>
>  0fd29a5ee7d14c3695b22998196373b9a3637413
>
> about two weeks back? Make sure ob-R.el is up to date and compiled (or
> that ob-R.elc is deleted).
>

> Anyway, your code works as expected for me - first time.
>
> ---
>
> FWIW, I prefer to use :var headers to import strings, but it takes some
> setup:
>

> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
>   (defun grab-src (name)
>     (save-excursion
>       (org-babel-goto-named-src-block name)
>       (nth 1 (org-babel-get-src-block-info 'light))))
> #+END_SRC
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC R :var y=(grab-src "sqlsource") :results output :exports both
> #+END_SRC
>
> #+RESULTS:
> : [1] "select \n  * \nfrom \n  t \nlimit \n  10"

In fact M-x R before evaluation did fix things.  I will try to get the
org source going, which contains the fix.  Otherwise, I might be content
to wait for the fix to make its way into org ELPA.  (I'm on .emacs
complexity overload)

Great idea about the grab-src function! Worked like a charm.

Thanks again,
Eric

* Re: Error Embedding SQL Source from code block into R Source of Another (noweb)
@ 2014-09-30 18:46       ` Grant Rettke
From: Grant Rettke @ 2014-09-30 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Brown; +Cc: Rainer M Krug, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 9:32 AM, Eric Brown <brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> 2) Grant, I tried your code, but there seem to be some missing headers.
> Do you have a complete minimal example that exhibits the behavior that
> you have demonstrated?

Sorry for omitting that key point:

✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂
#+name: msg
#+begin_src sql
Hello, world.
#+end_src

#+begin_src R :eval yes
print("«msg»")
#+end_src

#+NAME:
[1] "Hello, world."
#+end_example

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(print emacs-version)
(print org-version)
(print org-babel-default-header-args)
(print org-babel-default-inline-header-args)
#+end_src

#+NAME:
#+begin_example

"24.3.1"

"8.2.7c"

((:eval . "always") (:noweb . "no-export") (:exports . "both")
(:results . "output") (:comments . "no") (:session . "none") (:cache .
"no") (:hlines . "no") (:tangle . "no"))

((:results . "value replace") (:eval . "always") (:session . "none")
(:exports . "results"))
#+end_example
✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂

* Re: Error Embedding SQL Source from code block into R Source of Another (noweb)
@ 2014-09-30 19:15       ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2014-09-30 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Eric Brown <brown@fastmail.fm> writes:

> 2) Grant, I tried your code, but there seem to be some missing headers.
> Do you have a complete minimal example that exhibits the behavior that
> you have demonstrated?

Add :noweb yes. Also Grant seems to have gone non-standard and replaced
the <<noweb>> markup with guillemots. Using the default markers,
it should read:

#+name: query
#+begin_src sql
select
    *
from
    table
where
    x > 10
#+end_src

#+begin_src R :noweb yes :tangle output.R
input <- '
    <<query>>
'
#+end_src
## ✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂
produces this
## ✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂✂
input <- '
    select
        *
    from
        table
    where
        x > 10
'

Nick

* Re: Error Embedding SQL Source from code block into R Source of Another (noweb)
@ 2014-09-30 23:16         ` Grant Rettke
From: Grant Rettke @ 2014-09-30 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 2:15 PM, Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> wrote:
> Eric Brown <brown@fastmail.fm> writes:
>
>> 2) Grant, I tried your code, but there seem to be some missing headers.
>> Do you have a complete minimal example that exhibits the behavior that
>> you have demonstrated?
>
> Add :noweb yes. Also Grant seems to have gone non-standard and replaced
> the <<noweb>> markup with guillemots. Using the default markers,
> it should read:

Yikes what a week sorry about that here is what you would need I shall
be defining a function to provide all such details in the future and
thanks Nick for addressing:

╭────
│ (setq org-babel-noweb-wrap-start "«")
│ (setq org-babel-noweb-wrap-end "»")
╰────

* Re: Error Embedding SQL Source from code block into R Source of Another (noweb)
@ 2014-10-01  2:23           ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2014-10-01  2:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Grant Rettke <gcr@wisdomandwonder.com> writes:

> On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 2:15 PM, Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Eric Brown <brown@fastmail.fm> writes:
>>
>>> 2) Grant, I tried your code, but there seem to be some missing headers.
>>> Do you have a complete minimal example that exhibits the behavior that
>>> you have demonstrated?
>>
>> Add :noweb yes. Also Grant seems to have gone non-standard and replaced
>> the <<noweb>> markup with guillemots. Using the default markers,

That should be "guillemets".

>> it should read:
>
> Yikes what a week sorry about that here is what you would need I shall
> be defining a function to provide all such details in the future and
> thanks Nick for addressing:
>
> ╭────
> │ (setq org-babel-noweb-wrap-start "«")
> │ (setq org-babel-noweb-wrap-end "»")
> ╰────

And an OT question:

Since on my keyboard I can type << much more easily than I can type «
I was wondering: does your keyboard provide an easy way to type a
guillemet? Is that why you changed it? Or is it purely aesthetics?

--
Nick

* Re: Error Embedding SQL Source from code block into R Source of Another (noweb)
@ 2014-10-01 17:23             ` Grant Rettke
From: Grant Rettke @ 2014-10-01 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

> On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 9:23 PM, Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Grant Rettke <gcr@wisdomandwonder.com> writes:
>> Yikes what a week sorry about that here is what you would need I shall
>> be defining a function to provide all such details in the future and
>> thanks Nick for addressing:
>>
>> ╭────
>> │ (setq org-babel-noweb-wrap-start "«")
>> │ (setq org-babel-noweb-wrap-end "»")
>> ╰────
>>

> And an OT question:
>
> Since on my keyboard I can type << much more easily than I can type «

Totally agreed, I'm using a US QWERTY keyboard.

> I was wondering: does your keyboard provide an easy way to type a
> guillemet?

No but I use the [key-chord] package to do so like this:

╭────
│ (key-chord-define-global "<<" (lambda () (interactive) (insert "«")))
│ (key-chord-define-global ">>" (lambda () (interactive) (insert "»")))
╰────

It is the same amount of typing but you get the desired character.

> Is that why you changed it? Or is it purely aesthetics?

Aesthetic personal preferences. After the fact, this preference has
proven to be valuable for non-org-users, though.

When I use `org' at work and show literate documents to non-users, the
guillemet makes it crystal clear that the text is somehow special, and
not just "something enclosed by two less-than and greater-than
symbols". Not totally sure why people react this way, but they do.

[key-chord]
https://github.com/emacsmirror/key-chord/blob/master/key-chord.el

* Re: Error Embedding SQL Source from code block into R Source of Another (noweb)
@ 2014-10-01 17:43               ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2014-10-01 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Grant Rettke <gcr@wisdomandwonder.com> writes:

>> On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 9:23 PM, Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Grant Rettke <gcr@wisdomandwonder.com> writes:
>>> Yikes what a week sorry about that here is what you would need I shall
>>> be defining a function to provide all such details in the future and
>>> thanks Nick for addressing:
>>>
>>> ╭────
>>> │ (setq org-babel-noweb-wrap-start "«")
>>> │ (setq org-babel-noweb-wrap-end "»")
>>> ╰────
>>>

>> And an OT question:
>>
>> Since on my keyboard I can type << much more easily than I can type «
>
> Totally agreed, I'm using a US QWERTY keyboard.
>
>> I was wondering: does your keyboard provide an easy way to type a
>> guillemet?
>
> No but I use the [key-chord] package to do so like this:
>
> ╭────
> │ (key-chord-define-global "<<" (lambda () (interactive) (insert "«")))
> │ (key-chord-define-global ">>" (lambda () (interactive) (insert "»")))
> ╰────
>
> It is the same amount of typing but you get the desired character.
>
>> Is that why you changed it? Or is it purely aesthetics?
>
> Aesthetic personal preferences. After the fact, this preference has
> proven to be valuable for non-org-users, though.
>
> When I use `org' at work and show literate documents to non-users, the
> guillemet makes it crystal clear that the text is somehow special, and
> not just "something enclosed by two less-than and greater-than
> symbols". Not totally sure why people react this way, but they do.
>

> [key-chord]
> https://github.com/emacsmirror/key-chord/blob/master/key-chord.el

Ok - thanks!
--