* State of things: Email with orgmode?
@ 2016-04-25 16:36 Tory S. Anderson
From: Tory S. Anderson @ 2016-04-25 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: orgmode list

For ages I've been hearing about people doing or wanting email
with orgmode. I've been using gnus for years, but am curious as to
what is possible with orgmode. My search engines aren't revealing
any explanations, but orgmode navigation combined with the
composition possiblities with things like html export and
integration with orgmode power seems like  nice potential. Orgmode
already has a very useful facility with taking links to Gnus
messages, and the highly useful org contacts; what else is out
there? Is there a way to write and send emails from orgmode,
without just doing copy/paste/attach?

* Re: State of things: Email with orgmode?
       [not found] <5b644712da0d4a9abb6214609edb41fc@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
@ 2016-04-25 16:48 ` Eric S Fraga
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2016-04-25 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tory S. Anderson; +Cc: orgmode list

One of the links between org and email is using org-mime-htmlize which will take your email buffer (using gnus in my case but a message buffer) and create a text+html mime encoded email in which the plain text is parsed as an org file and exported to HTML.

I don't use this often but I do use it now and again, for instance when a table is a necessary element of the email or if I want to have some LaTeX equations in the email.

* An example

For instance, the following equation *may* appear in the email, depending on what you are using to view your emails:

\begin{equation}
y = \sqrt{x}
\end{equation}

eric

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.92.1, Org release_8.3.4-739-g789412

[-- Attachment #2.2: latex10950AbY_a1f68a2c69176a20244cd53355be1109492a26a0.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 1188 bytes --]

* Re: State of things: Email with orgmode?
@ 2016-04-25 17:16   ` John Kitchin
       [not found]   ` <a0c2f2228038418e99c88a3061a069b9@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
From: John Kitchin @ 2016-04-25 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga, Tory S. Anderson, orgmode list

That is nice!

John

-----------------------------------
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F
Department of Chemical Engineering
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
412-268-7803
@johnkitchin
http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu

On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 12:48 PM, Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:

> Table of Contents
>
>    - 1. An example <#m_973296144810500413_orgf4147a8>
>
> One of the links between org and email is using org-mime-htmlize which
> will take your email buffer (using gnus in my case but a message buffer)
> and create a text+html mime encoded email in which the plain text is parsed
> as an org file and exported to HTML.
>
> I don't use this often but I do use it now and again, for instance when a
> table is a necessary element of the email or if I want to have some LaTeX
> equations in the email.
> 1 An example
>
> For instance, the following equation *may* appear in the email, depending
> on what you are using to view your emails:
>
> [image: \begin{equation} y = \sqrt{x} \end{equation}]
>
> eric
>
> –
>
> Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.92.1, Org release_8.3.4-739-g789412

[-- Attachment #2: latex10950AbY_a1f68a2c69176a20244cd53355be1109492a26a0.png --]

@ 2016-04-25 19:33   ` Rainer M Krug
       [not found]   ` <a0c2f2228038418e99c88a3061a069b9@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2016-04-25 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tory S. Anderson; +Cc: orgmode list

> Table of Contents
>
> * 1. An example
>
> One of the links between org and email is using org-mime-htmlize which

Very nice - but I have two question:

1) do I have to load something to have this function? I don't seem to
have it

2) What is the easiest way of writing a mail in gnus in org format? I
would like to have all features of org if possible?

Rainer

> will take your email buffer (using gnus in my case but a message
> buffer) and create a text+html mime encoded email in which the plain
> text is parsed as an org file and exported to HTML.
>

> I don't use this often but I do use it now and again, for instance when a table is a necessary element of the email or if I want to have some LaTeX equations
> in the email.
>

> 1 An example
>
> For instance, the following equation may appear in the email, depending on what you are using to view your emails:
>

> \begin{equation}
> y = \sqrt{x}
> \end{equation}
>

> eric
>

> –
>

> Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.92.1, Org release_8.3.4-739-g789412

--
Rainer M. Krug
email: Rainer<at>krugs<dot>de
PGP: 0x0F52F982

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: State of things: Email with orgmode?
       [not found]   ` <a0c2f2228038418e99c88a3061a069b9@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
@ 2016-04-25 19:41     ` Eric S Fraga
                         ` (3 more replies)
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2016-04-25 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer M Krug; +Cc: orgmode list, Tory S. Anderson

On Monday, 25 Apr 2016 at 19:33, Rainer M Krug wrote:
> Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>
>> Table of Contents
>>
>> * 1. An example
>>
>> One of the links between org and email is using org-mime-htmlize which
>
> Very nice - but I have two question:
>
> 1) do I have to load something to have this function? I don't seem to
> have it

org-mime.el is in org contrib package.  I am not sure how you might be
able to get this as it will depend on how you get org in the first
place.  Are you using org from git or melpa or from the web site
directly?

> 2) What is the easiest way of writing a mail in gnus in org format? I
> would like to have all features of org if possible?

I simply change to org mode (e.g. M-x org-mode RET) to compose and then
back to message mode (M-x message-mode RET) when ready to htmlize the
buffer and send the email.

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.92.1, Org release_8.3.4-739-g789412

* Re: State of things: Email with orgmode?
@ 2016-04-25 19:59       ` Rainer M Krug
                         ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2016-04-25 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tory S. Anderson; +Cc: orgmode list

> On Monday, 25 Apr 2016 at 19:33, Rainer M Krug wrote:
>> Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>>
>>> Table of Contents
>>>
>>> * 1. An example
>>>
>>> One of the links between org and email is using org-mime-htmlize which
>>
>> Very nice - but I have two question:
>>
>> 1) do I have to load something to have this function? I don't seem to
>> have it
>
> org-mime.el is in org contrib package.  I am not sure how you might be
> able to get this as it will depend on how you get org in the first
> place.  Are you using org from git or melpa or from the web site
> directly?

git - found it. Thanks.

>> 2) What is the easiest way of writing a mail in gnus in org format? I
>> would like to have all features of org if possible?
>
> I simply change to org mode (e.g. M-x org-mode RET) to compose and then
> back to message mode (M-x message-mode RET) when ready to htmlize the
> buffer and send the email.

I thought there might be an easier way, but this one definitely gives the
most complete feature set.

Thanks,

Rainer
--
Rainer M. Krug
email: Rainer<at>krugs<dot>de

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: State of things: Email with orgmode?
@ 2016-04-25 21:02       ` Marcin Borkowski
       [not found]       ` <231964d55dc34af8b15d75e3c468ffee@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2016-04-25 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: orgmode list, Tory S. Anderson

On 2016-04-25, at 19:41, Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Monday, 25 Apr 2016 at 19:33, Rainer M Krug wrote:
>> Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>>
>>> Table of Contents
>>>
>>> * 1. An example
>>>
>>> One of the links between org and email is using org-mime-htmlize which
>>
>> Very nice - but I have two question:
>>
>> 1) do I have to load something to have this function? I don't seem to
>> have it
>
> org-mime.el is in org contrib package.  I am not sure how you might be
> able to get this as it will depend on how you get org in the first
> place.  Are you using org from git or melpa or from the web site
> directly?
>

>> 2) What is the easiest way of writing a mail in gnus in org format? I
>> would like to have all features of org if possible?
>
> I simply change to org mode (e.g. M-x org-mode RET) to compose and then
> back to message mode (M-x message-mode RET) when ready to htmlize the
> buffer and send the email.

Wouldn't Lentic help with this?  (https://github.com/phillord/lentic)

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University

* Re: State of things: Email with orgmode?
@ 2016-04-26  2:03       ` Eric Abrahamsen
       [not found]       ` <231964d55dc34af8b15d75e3c468ffee@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2016-04-26  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> On Monday, 25 Apr 2016 at 19:33, Rainer M Krug wrote:
>> Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>>
>>> Table of Contents
>>>
>>> * 1. An example
>>>
>>> One of the links between org and email is using org-mime-htmlize which
>>
>> Very nice - but I have two question:
>>
>> 1) do I have to load something to have this function? I don't seem to
>> have it
>
> org-mime.el is in org contrib package.  I am not sure how you might be
> able to get this as it will depend on how you get org in the first
> place.  Are you using org from git or melpa or from the web site
> directly?

I'm using Org from Melpa -- how do we get contrib packages in this case?

* Re: State of things: Email with orgmode?
@ 2016-04-26  2:13 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2016-04-26  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

torys.anderson@gmail.com (Tory S. Anderson) writes:

> For ages I've been hearing about people doing or wanting email with
> orgmode. I've been using gnus for years, but am curious as to what is
> possible with orgmode. My search engines aren't revealing any
> explanations, but orgmode navigation combined with the composition
> possiblities with things like html export and integration with orgmode
> power seems like  nice potential. Orgmode already has a very useful
> facility with taking links to Gnus messages, and the highly useful org
> contacts; what else is out there? Is there a way to write and send
> emails from orgmode, without just doing copy/paste/attach?

I've got a package in Elpa called Gnorb, that provides some integration
between Org and Gnus. It also includes a function
`gnorb-org-email-subtree' that lets you export a subtree as a text or
file, and send it as an email. That might also be useful.

* Re: State of things: Email with orgmode?
@ 2016-04-26  6:51         ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2016-04-26  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2016-04-26 04:03, Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> writes:

> I'm using Org from Melpa -- how do we get contrib packages in this case?

I think you need to get the org-plus-contrib package then.

Alan

--
OpenPGP Key ID : 040D0A3B4ED2E5C7
Monthly Athmospheric CO₂ (2016-03, Mauna Loa Obs.): 404.83

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

@ 2016-04-26  7:17         ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2016-04-26  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcin Borkowski; +Cc: orgmode list

On Monday, 25 Apr 2016 at 21:02, Marcin Borkowski wrote:
> On 2016-04-25, at 19:41, Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
>> I simply change to org mode (e.g. M-x org-mode RET) to compose and then
>> back to message mode (M-x message-mode RET) when ready to htmlize the
>> buffer and send the email.
>
> Wouldn't Lentic help with this?  (https://github.com/phillord/lentic)

Good idea.  But ", t o" to switch into org-mode and ", t m" to switch
back to message mode (I use evil) is not really onerous.

--

@ 2016-04-26  7:24           ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2016-04-26  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:

> On 2016-04-26 04:03, Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> writes:
>
>> I'm using Org from Melpa -- how do we get contrib packages in this case?
>
> I think you need to get the org-plus-contrib package then.

I've got Elpa and Melpa, but no org-plus-contrib -- I did look first!
Where did you get that?

* Re: State of things: Email with orgmode?
@ 2016-04-26  7:32             ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2016-04-26  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2016-04-26 09:24, Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> writes:

> Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:
>
>> On 2016-04-26 04:03, Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> writes:
>>
>>> I'm using Org from Melpa -- how do we get contrib packages in this case?
>>
>> I think you need to get the org-plus-contrib package then.
>
> I've got Elpa and Melpa, but no org-plus-contrib -- I did look first!
> Where did you get that?

Did you add the org repo to package-archives:
        ("org"         . "http://orgmode.org/elpa/")
?

Alan

--

@ 2016-04-26  7:45               ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2016-04-26  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:

> On 2016-04-26 09:24, Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> writes:
>
>> Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:

>>> I think you need to get the org-plus-contrib package then.
>>
>> I've got Elpa and Melpa, but no org-plus-contrib -- I did look first!
>> Where did you get that?
>
> Did you add the org repo to package-archives:
>         ("org"         . "http://orgmode.org/elpa/")
> ?

I did not, and that's the first I heard of it! I'll give it a shot now,
thanks.

* Re: State of things: Email with orgmode?
@ 2016-04-26  7:45         ` Stig Brautaset
From: Stig Brautaset @ 2016-04-26  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>>> 1) do I have to load something to have this function? I don't seem to
>>> have it
>>
>> org-mime.el is in org contrib package.  I am not sure how you might be
>> able to get this as it will depend on how you get org in the first
>> place.  Are you using org from git or melpa or from the web site
>> directly?
>
> I'm using Org from Melpa -- how do we get contrib packages in this case?

You need to install Org from their special Elpa:

http://orgmode.org/elpa.html

Stig

* Re: State of things: Email with orgmode?
       [not found] <mailman.4874.1461604590.7476.emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
@ 2016-04-26  8:35 ` Jeremie Juste
From: Jeremie Juste @ 2016-04-26  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Many thanks for sharing this.

> One of the links between org and email is using org-mime-htmlize which
> will take your email buffer (using gnus in my case but a message
> buffer) and create a text+html mime encoded email in which the plain
> text is parsed as an org file and exported to HTML.

> I don't use this often but I do use it now and again, for instance
> when a table is a necessary element of the email or if I want to have
> some LaTeX equations in the email.

\begin{equation}
y = \sqrt{x}
\end{equation}

Do you think Is it possible to invert the colors of the latex images? I use a black
background and it's impossible to see the latex images.

Best regards,

Jeremie

* Re: State of things: Email with orgmode?
@ 2016-04-26 14:54   ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2016-04-26 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeremie Juste; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

See the variable org-format-latex-options . you might be able to change
it. Maybe something like (untested)

(plist-put org-format-latex-options :html-background "white")

--

@ 2016-04-26 15:19   ` Tory S. Anderson
From: Tory S. Anderson @ 2016-04-26 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Gnorb looks really interesting, but is lacking a crucial "using
it" section on the github [1], so I don't know what it can
actually do or what a use-case would be. Does it do what org-mime
does?

> torys.anderson@gmail.com (Tory S. Anderson) writes:
>
>> For ages I've been hearing about people doing or wanting email
>> with
>> orgmode. I've been using gnus for years, but am curious as to
>> what is
>> possible with orgmode. My search engines aren't revealing any
>> explanations, but orgmode navigation combined with the
>> composition
>> possiblities with things like html export and integration with
>> orgmode
>> power seems like  nice potential. Orgmode already has a very
>> useful
>> facility with taking links to Gnus messages, and the highly
>> useful org
>> contacts; what else is out there? Is there a way to write and
>> send
>> emails from orgmode, without just doing copy/paste/attach?
>
> I've got a package in Elpa called Gnorb, that provides some
> integration
> between Org and Gnus. It also includes a function
> `gnorb-org-email-subtree' that lets you export a subtree as a
> text or
> file, and send it as an email. That might also be useful.

Footnotes:
[1]  https://github.com/girzel/gnorb

--
Tory S. Anderson
Computational Cognitive Narratologist & Application Developer

* Re: State of things: Email with orgmode?
@ 2016-04-26 19:41     ` Jeremie Juste
From: Jeremie Juste @ 2016-04-26 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

>> Jeremie Juste writes:
>> Do you think Is it possible to invert the colors of the latex images? I use a black
>> background and it's impossible to see the latex images.

> John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

> See the variable org-format-latex-options . you might be able to change
> it. Maybe something like (untested)
>
> (plist-put org-format-latex-options :html-background "white")

It works fine. Thanks for the lead.

It you can tweak all the org-format-latex-options as well.

(plist-put org-format-latex-options :html-scale 1.5)
(plist-put org-format-latex-options :html-background "black")
(plist-put org-format-latex-options :html-foreground "white")

Best regards,
Jeremie Juste