* Org mode bug submission and viewing?
@ 2017-12-02  4:05 Allen Li
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Allen Li @ 2017-12-02  4:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

What's the proper way to submit an Org mode bug, and are the bugs
collected anywhere for viewing their status?

I see the mailing list has bugs generated using org-submit-bug-report
(containing "Bug:" in the subject) and other bugs that have numbers
("bug#XXXX:" in the subject).

Is there a preferred way to submit bugs?

Where are the numbered bugs coming from?

Is there a place to view submitted bugs and their resolution status?

* Re: Org mode bug submission and viewing?
@ 2017-12-02  5:10 ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2017-12-02  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Allen Li; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

TL;DR M-x org-submit-bug-report

On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 11:05 PM Allen Li <vianchielfaura@gmail.com> wrote:

> What's the proper way to submit an Org mode bug,

M-x org-submit-bug-report

Then follow the prompts.. you will end up with an email message buffer. If
your emacs is set up to send emails, just send that email after adding
additional information about the bug.

Else. copy the body of that email, paste it in your email client (like
Gmail, Google Inbox, etc), also copy the auto-generated subject like:

Bug: My bug [9.1.3 (release_9.1.3-203-g33d554 @
/home/kmodi/usr_local/apps/6/emacs/emacs-26/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/)]

, and send that email to emacs-orgmode@gnu.org.

Include a MWE (minimum working example) in your bug report on how to
recreate that issue in an emacs -Q session loaded with that specific Org
version.

and are the bugs
> collected anywhere for viewing their status?

I don't believe so.

> I see the mailing list has bugs generated using org-submit-bug-report
> (containing "Bug:" in the subject)

That's generated using the above method.

> and other bugs that have numbers ("bug#XXXX:" in the subject).

Those are the Org related bugs sent by users using M-x report-emacs-bug.
/Those/ get tracked, auto-assigned with a number and you can see those at
http://lists.gnu.org/r/bug-gnu-emacs/.

> Is there a preferred way to submit bugs?

As a user, and frequent observer of this list, the first method is
preferred and gets dealt with in a speedy manner. Because not everyone
following the official emacs bug list use Org. Occassionally though,
someone would be kind enough to forward Org-related bugs from that list to
this list.

Where are the numbered bugs coming from?

M-x report-emacs-bug

> Is there a place to view submitted bugs and their resolution status?

 Not that I know of. This seems to be an unofficial place to list those,
and doesn't look updated.
--

Kaushal Modi

* Re: Org mode bug submission and viewing?
@ 2018-01-13 13:28 ` Adonay Felipe Nogueira
From: Adonay Felipe Nogueira @ 2018-01-13 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

If I recall correctly, org-mode uses GNU's Debbugs, see
<https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=org-mode>.

Reports are sent to <bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>.

The report-emacs-bug procedure already sets almost everything for you,
including the address mentioned above.

I hope this helps. ;)

2017-12-01T20:05:03-0800 Allen Li wrote:
> What's the proper way to submit an Org mode bug, and are the bugs
> collected anywhere for viewing their status?
>
> I see the mailing list has bugs generated using org-submit-bug-report
> (containing "Bug:" in the subject) and other bugs that have numbers
> ("bug#XXXX:" in the subject).
>
> Is there a preferred way to submit bugs?
>
> Where are the numbered bugs coming from?
>
> Is there a place to view submitted bugs and their resolution status?

--
- https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno
- Palestrante e consultor sobre /software/ livre (não confundir com

* Re: Org mode bug submission and viewing?
@ 2018-04-26 23:34 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2018-04-26 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Allen Li; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Dear all,

reflecting upon Allen's question and Kaushal's answer, I would like
to suggest this rule on how to submit bug reports:

  Use M-x org-submit-bug-report RET if you installed Org yourself,
  use M-x report-emacs-bug RET otherwise.

This way, Org maintainers who check Emacs bugs are likely to quickly
spot if the bug from an old Org version has been fixed already, and
users are less likely to share already-fixed bugs on emacs-orgmode.

WDYT?

--
 Bastien