* what is the "stock value of org-modules" (Was Re: Gnus org-mode link problems in org 9.3)
@ 2020-04-08 13:49 Gijs Hillenius
From: Gijs Hillenius @ 2020-04-08 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Newell; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Dear Bob, others

> I had customized the value 'org-modules'. This was fine so long as we
> had 'org-gnus' (and other similar modules). But in org 9.3 this has
> become 'ol-gnus' (and ol-bbdb and so on). Now, 'ol-gnus' and the rest
> are included in the stock value of org-modules, but this was
> over-ridden by my customized version. No more org-gnus to load! So I
> lost functionality as described in my complaint.

I stumbled over this too, seeing how earlier this morning my [bbdb:
links ] in org files refused work. (I don't use that daily, clearly!)

Looking in my init.el "customisation" section, I see org-bbdb,
org-bibtex, org-docview, org-gnus, org-info, org-irc, org-mhe,
org-rmail, and org-w3m. Did I put those there? I guess.

So, I remove these, but even though I restarted Emacs, now the value of
org-modules is nil. Whereas the documentation says the orginal value is
all of the above - except entitled ol-$name instead of org-$name. So,
should I add all of these modules back via customization?

Org mode version 9.3
GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (Debian emacs-snapshot)

* Re: what is the "stock value of org-modules" (Was Re: Gnus org-mode link problems in org 9.3)
@ 2020-04-08 15:52 ` Joseph Vidal-Rosset
From: Joseph Vidal-Rosset @ 2020-04-08 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gijs Hillenius; +Cc: Bob Newell, emacs-orgmode

Hi Gijs, hi the list,

I am  interested in this  question because I  met a similar  problem few
weeks     ago,     when    I     tried     to     use    Doom     Emacs:
https://github.com/hlissner/doom-emacs/issues/2708  where   ol-gnus  are
used.

Now I'm back  with a simple version  of emacs (26.3) and it  seems to me
that there  is mention in my  setup neither of "org-gnus"  nor "ol-gnus"
and my org-links work smoothly for gnus articles.

Best wishes,
--
Jo.

* Re: what is the "stock value of org-modules" (Was Re: Gnus org-mode link problems in org 9.3)
@ 2020-05-23 15:17 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2020-05-23 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gijs Hillenius; +Cc: Bob Newell, emacs-orgmode

Hi Gijs,

> Looking in my init.el "customisation" section, I see org-bbdb,
> org-bibtex, org-docview, org-gnus, org-info, org-irc, org-mhe,
> org-rmail, and org-w3m. Did I put those there? I guess.
>
> So, I remove these, but even though I restarted Emacs, now the value of
> org-modules is nil. Whereas the documentation says the orginal value is
> all of the above - except entitled ol-$name instead of org-$name. So,
> should I add all of these modules back via customization?

I suggest you remove any previous customization then customize back
again if you need some, that should tidy up things in this area.

HTH,

--
 Bastien