* ox-taskjuggler scenarios
@ 2021-06-12  6:10 david whiting
From: david whiting @ 2021-06-12  6:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I am starting to use org-mode with taskjuggler and am trying to
implement scenarios. To work with scenarios I need to be able to
provide the scenario parameter values where the scenario differs to
the default plan. For example, using the example from
https://taskjuggler.org/tj3/manual/Day_To_Day_Juggling.html#Tracking_the_Project
there are two scenarios, called "actual" and "test". To apply
different values to show the base scenario/plan, what actually
happened and the test scenario, I would do something like this:

task t "Task" {
  start 2007-05-29
  actual:start 2007-06-03
  test:start 2007-06-07
}

In this example, the original plan was to start on 2007-05-29, the
project actually started on 2007-06-03 and we also get to see what
would have happened if we started on 2007-06-07.

Using org-mode I can use the following to create the task with the
planned start date:

*** Task
    :PROPERTIES:
    :start: 2007-05-29
    :END:

But I haven't been able to add the actual and test scenarios. I need
to be able to add something like:

*** Task
    :PROPERTIES:
    :start: 2007-05-29
    :actual:start: 2007-06-03
    :test:start: 2007-06-07
    :END:

But the actual and test information is ignored, it is not converted in
the tjp file. I have tried adding "actual:start" (without the quotes)
to org-taskjuggler-valid-task-attributes, but that did not work. I
have also tried a similar approach with "effort", but again it is
ignored.

I currently have a hack to get what I want. I add the scenario info as
a comment with a marker and then run a sed script on the resulting tjp
file to replace the comment-markers with \n, like this:

*** Task
    :PROPERTIES:
    :start: 2007-05-29 #@actual:start 2007-06-03 #@test:start 2007-06-07
    :END:

Is there a better way to do this?

David
--
David Whiting

* Re: ox-taskjuggler scenarios
@ 2021-06-13  0:11 ` Tim Cross
From: Tim Cross @ 2021-06-13  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi David,

it has been many years since I last used taskjuggler from within org. I
recall when I did I had a similar issue to yours e.g. some valid task
juggler values could not be passed into task juggler from within org
mode.

Although my recollections is hazy, I seem to recall that when I looked
at the code, the ox-taskjuiggler.el code only accepted a subset of what
was valid input for taskjuggler. I ended up doing something similar to
you i.e. generated the export file and then modify it before generating
the taskjuggler artifacts.

From memory, it looked like it would be fairly easy to modify the
taskjuggler elisp code to add additional support/integration, but my
requirements moved on and I stopped needing to use taskjuggler, so never
got around to it.

I do recall sending emails to the ox-taskjuggler.el author, but did not
get any response.

My guess is that ox-taskjuggler.el is currently lacking an active
maintainer. Bastien can probably clarify, but I would consider just
modifying the code to add the missing functionality you need and posting
some patches. Maybe someone can take on the maintenance, but until that
happens, I would consider ox-taskjuggler.el to be a basic starting point
which you can modify for your needs (it is part of the contrib packages
and not core org).

--
Tim Cross

* Re: ox-taskjuggler scenarios
@ 2021-09-26 14:06   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2021-09-26 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Cross; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> writes:

> My guess is that ox-taskjuggler.el is currently lacking an active
> maintainer. Bastien can probably clarify, but I would consider just
> modifying the code to add the missing functionality you need and posting
> some patches.

ox-taskjuggler.el now lives in https://git.sr.ht/~bzg/org-contrib and
a maintainer is still needed, yet.

--