* including one double quote in an anonymous footnote?
@ 2022-02-26 14:33 Greg Minshall
From: Greg Minshall @ 2022-02-26 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

hi.  experimenting [after significant confusion!], it appears that
including a single (unpaired) double quote inside an anonymous footnote
eliminates the recognition of the footnote.  is this intentional?

this works:
----
this is a test.[fn:: a very long footnote]
----

whereas this doesn't:
----
this is a test.[fn:: "a very long footnote]
----

i notice that for purposes of exporting, i can have the single double
quote accepted by escaping it with a backslash:
----
this is a test.[fn:: \"a very long footnote]
----
but,
- the backslash itself shows up in both latex and html exporting
- the footnote doesn't get displayed in the org buffer as a footnote
  (the separate colors; this is "font locking"?)

Org mode version 9.5.2 (9.5.2-gbb6830 @ /home/minshall/.emacs.d/straight/build/org/)

cheers, Greg

* Re: including one double quote in an anonymous footnote?
@ 2022-02-26 14:47 ` Juan Manuel Macías
From: Juan Manuel Macías @ 2022-02-26 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Minshall; +Cc: orgmode

Hi Greg,

Greg Minshall writes:

> hi.  experimenting [after significant confusion!], it appears that
> including a single (unpaired) double quote inside an anonymous footnote
> eliminates the recognition of the footnote.  is this intentional?
>
> this works:
> ----
> this is a test.[fn:: a very long footnote]
> ----
>
> whereas this doesn't:
> ----
> this is a test.[fn:: "a very long footnote]
> ----
>
> i notice that for purposes of exporting, i can have the single double
> quote accepted by escaping it with a backslash:
> ----
> this is a test.[fn:: \"a very long footnote]
> ----
> but,
> - the backslash itself shows up in both latex and html exporting
> - the footnote doesn't get displayed in the org buffer as a footnote
>   (the separate colors; this is "font locking"?)
>
> Org mode version 9.5.2 (9.5.2-gbb6830 @ /home/minshall/.emacs.d/straight/build/org/)

I can confirm that behavior. One possible solution is to use an entity
(M-x org-entities-help):

this is a test.[fn:: \quot{}a very long footnote]

Best regards,

Juan Manuel

* Re: including one double quote in an anonymous footnote?
@ 2022-02-26 15:00   ` Greg Minshall
From: Greg Minshall @ 2022-02-26 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juan Manuel Macías; +Cc: orgmode

Juan Manuel,

> I can confirm that behavior. One possible solution is to use an entity
> (M-x org-entities-help):

thanks very much -- that does the trick for my case.

@ 2022-02-26 19:20     ` Juan Manuel Macías
From: Juan Manuel Macías @ 2022-02-26 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Minshall; +Cc: orgmode

Greg Minshall writes:

> Juan Manuel,
>
>> I can confirm that behavior. One possible solution is to use an entity
>> (M-x org-entities-help):
>
> thanks very much -- that does the trick for my case.

In any case, I don't know if that behavior should be considered a bug. I
say this because other constructions with an unbalanced element,
although org does not fontify them well, they are exported correctly:

this is a test[fn::(this is an inline footnote]

this is a test[fn::{this is an inline footnote]

== LaTeX ==>

this is a test\footnote{(this is an inline footnote}

this is a test\footnote{\{this is an inline footnote}

Instead, if you do <M-: (org-element-context)> on your example,
org-element-context doesn't recognize this as a footnote reference:

this is a test[fn::"this is an inline footnote]

Looking at `org-element-footnote-reference-parser', I'd say the problem
is with:

(with-syntax-table org-element--pair-square-table
		       (ignore-errors (scan-lists (point) 1 0)))

If there is an unbalanced double quote inside a bracket construction,
that expression returns nil and not the position after the final
bracket. But I don't know how to go on :-(.

Best regards,

Juan Manuel

* Re: including one double quote in an anonymous footnote?
@ 2022-02-28 14:47       ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2022-02-28 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juan Manuel Macías; +Cc: Greg Minshall, orgmode

Hello,

Juan Manuel Macías <maciaschain@posteo.net> writes:

> Greg Minshall writes:

> In any case, I don't know if that behavior should be considered a bug. I
> say this because other constructions with an unbalanced element,
> although org does not fontify them well, they are exported correctly:
>
> this is a test[fn::(this is an inline footnote]
>
> this is a test[fn::{this is an inline footnote]
>
> == LaTeX ==>
>
> this is a test\footnote{(this is an inline footnote}
>
> this is a test\footnote{\{this is an inline footnote}
>
> Instead, if you do <M-: (org-element-context)> on your example,
> org-element-context doesn't recognize this as a footnote reference:
>
> this is a test[fn::"this is an inline footnote]
>
> Looking at `org-element-footnote-reference-parser', I'd say the problem
> is with:

> (with-syntax-table org-element--pair-square-table
> 		       (ignore-errors (scan-lists (point) 1 0)))
>
> If there is an unbalanced double quote inside a bracket construction,
> that expression returns nil and not the position after the final
> bracket. But I don't know how to go on :-(.

I think I fixed it in bugfix branch. Thanks.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: including one double quote in an anonymous footnote?
@ 2022-02-28 18:36         ` Greg Minshall
From: Greg Minshall @ 2022-02-28 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juan Manuel Macías, orgmode

Nicolas and Juan Manuel,

thanks very much.  the bugfix branch seems to work for my case.

@ 2022-02-28 20:57           ` Juan Manuel Macías
From: Juan Manuel Macías @ 2022-02-28 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Minshall; +Cc: orgmode, Nicolas Goaziou

Hi Greg and Nicolas,

Greg Minshall writes:

> Nicolas and Juan Manuel,
>
> thanks very much.  the bugfix branch seems to work for my case.

Thank you very much Nicolas. In my case it also works fine.

Best regards,

Juan Manuel