* Specifying \institute[short]{long] in Beamer presentations
@ 2011-03-23 23:18 Bernd Weiss
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Bernd Weiss @ 2011-03-23 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear all,

I assume that my first email[1], which I sent yesterday, was not clear
enough to draw any/enough attention.

I am currently preparing a Beamer presentation and I would like to
include \institute[short]{long} into my org-file; it is important that I
am able to define a short and a long entry for institute. How can I do
this?

NB: Modifying "(add-to-list 'org-export-latex-classes '("beamer" ..."
(see [1]), causes org-mode to ignore any

:PROPERTIES:
:BEAMER_env: frame
:BEAMER_envargs: [...]
:END:

statements.

Thanks,

Bernd

[1] "Customizing LaTeX-export, Beamer, \institute, and BEAMER_envargs"
http://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org/msg39705.html

* Re: Specifying \institute[short]{long] in Beamer presentations
@ 2011-03-24  2:51 ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2011-03-24  2:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 19:18:45 -0400
Bernd Weiss <bernd.weiss@uni-koeln.de> wrote:

> I assume that my first email[1], which I sent yesterday, was not
> clear enough to draw any/enough attention.

Since orgmode is a volunteer effort and the list is a relatively low
traffic list, often posts are answered after a few weeks. :)

> I am currently preparing a Beamer presentation and I would like to
> include \institute[short]{long} into my org-file; it is important
> that I am able to define a short and a long entry for institute. How
> can I do this?

Let me reword your issue, but my understanding of LaTeX is limited so
please correct me if I am wrong.

You want to specify your affiliation with the institute command. AFAIU
the \institute command is declared in the header of a tex file. So I am
a little confused by your use of properties in org. Shouldn't something
like this after the "#+NAME:" and "#+AUTHOR:" directives work fine?

#+LaTeX_HEADER: \institute[short name]{My awesome institute}

Hope this helps,

--
Suvayu

* Re: Specifying \institute[short]{long] in Beamer presentations
@ 2011-03-24  8:59 ` PASZTOR Miklos
From: PASZTOR Miklos @ 2011-03-24  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernd Weiss; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 07:18:45PM -0400, Bernd Weiss wrote:
> I am currently preparing a Beamer presentation and I would like to
> include \institute[short]{long} into my org-file;

 This works for me:

#+BEAMER_HEADER_EXTRA:  \institute{My insitute}

 Cheers,
 Miklós

* Re: Specifying \institute[short]{long] in Beamer presentations
@ 2011-03-24  9:39 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-03-24  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernd Weiss; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Bernd Weiss <bernd.weiss@uni-koeln.de> writes:

> Dear all,
>
> I assume that my first email[1], which I sent yesterday, was not clear
> enough to draw any/enough attention.

No, it was clear enough but unfortunately most of us do have day jobs to
attend to despite the attraction of playing with org and responding to
the mailing list!  A little patience goes a long ways when it comes to
getting help from volunteer efforts like org ;-)

(I'm not chastising, by the way -- just re-emphasising the nature of
open source and collaborative volunteer based projects.)

I have answered your original post to the list a few minutes ago.  I
hope it helps.

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.5 (release_7.5.113.g9010a.dirty)

* Re: Specifying \institute[short]{long] in Beamer presentations
@ 2011-03-24  9:42   ` Camille persson
From: Camille persson @ 2011-03-24  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm not sure but maybe you could declare it in your org file as:

#+MACRO: BEAMERINSTITUTELONG My long and detailed Institute
#+MACRO: BEAMERINSTITUTESHORT Short Institute

And change the export code as follows:

\\institute[beamerinstituteshort]{{{{beamerinstitutelong}}}}\n

But I didn't tested it, it is just an idea that comes up reading your mail.

--
Camille

@ 2011-03-24 10:18   ` Bernd Weiss
From: Bernd Weiss @ 2011-03-24 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: PASZTOR Miklos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Am 24.03.2011 04:59, schrieb PASZTOR Miklos:
> On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 07:18:45PM -0400, Bernd Weiss wrote:
>> I am currently preparing a Beamer presentation and I would like to
>> include \institute[short]{long} into my org-file;
>
>   This works for me:
>
> #+BEAMER_HEADER_EXTRA:  \institute{My insitute}

Cool, thanks a lot! That solved all my problems.

Bernd

* Re: Specifying \institute[short]{long] in Beamer presentations
@ 2011-03-24 10:24   ` Bernd Weiss
From: Bernd Weiss @ 2011-03-24 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suvayu Ali; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Am 23.03.2011 22:51, schrieb Suvayu Ali:
> On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 19:18:45 -0400 Bernd

[...]

>> I am currently preparing a Beamer presentation and I would like to
>> include \institute[short]{long} into my org-file; it is important
>> that I am able to define a short and a long entry for institute.
>> How can I do this?
>
> Let me reword your issue, but my understanding of LaTeX is limited
> so please correct me if I am wrong.
>
> You want to specify your affiliation with the institute command.
> AFAIU the \institute command is declared in the header of a tex file.
> So I am a little confused by your use of properties in org. Shouldn't
> something like this after the "#+NAME:" and "#+AUTHOR:" directives
> work fine?
>
> #+LaTeX_HEADER: \institute[short name]{My awesome institute}

Oh, yes, that helps and I cannot believe that I didn't realize it before.

Thanks,

Bernd

* Re: Specifying \institute[short]{long] in Beamer presentations
@ 2011-03-24 10:37     ` Bernd Weiss
From: Bernd Weiss @ 2011-03-24 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Camille persson, emacs-orgmode

Am 24.03.2011 05:42, schrieb Camille persson:
> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure but maybe you could declare it in your org file as:
>
> #+MACRO: BEAMERINSTITUTELONG My long and detailed Institute
> #+MACRO: BEAMERINSTITUTESHORT Short Institute
>

> And change the export code as follows:
>
> \\institute[beamerinstituteshort]{{{{beamerinstitutelong}}}}\n
>
> But I didn't tested it, it is just an idea that comes up reading your mail.

Hi Camille,

Thanks for your answer! That would not solve my problem since it blocks
the functionality of frame ":PROPERTIES: ". I was simply looking for

#+BEAMER_HEADER_EXTRA:  \institute{My insitute}

or